69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The most important thing stern can do is make great games which I think they will with GOTG, Elvira 3, pulp fiction, whatever Trudeau was doing, and what ever Keith is doing.

The games may turn out to be great, but I am always wondering what Stern's next blunder will be.
Will GOTG suffer from splitting cabinets, ghosting, peeling decals, abysmal code?

Moving forward, my max on a NIB is $7,500 so I'm hoping Stern will raise their game to earn my cash again.

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I have to say, I posted a Bosch dishwasher review a couple of days ago and was shocked to see it get through publishing on their site.
It's an honest review, but negative. I give them a lot of credit. That goes a long way. I expect them to contact me.

Same issue with our two Miele washers.

My wife now runs them at night and empties them in the morning.

1 week later
#1233 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern can still dominate the market IF they start listening to the GENUINE concerns of their customers.
I want them to listen as I want to buy future games, but I want them to be great!

Under their current regime, as presently constituted, this will never happen.

#1247 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

bullshit. From the jump this was just another Stern bashing thread. Cause 30 weren't enough.

No question, they've pissed a lot of people off.

#1276 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

GOTG will be shipping with complete code, playfields that don't ghost, cabinets that stay together and node boards that don't fry?

No chance.

2 weeks later
#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well let's hear how bad the Q/A issues were for you out of the box. You did buy it new right?

Both of my Mets (Pro and Premium) are perfect, such awesome games.

However, there are two GBs right on my street with cracking cabinets. I fixed one of them.

#1439 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Exactly, and JJP is much much more expensive and they have never had any playfield problems and they always have complete code when their games ship don't they? Oh wait....maybe not!

The cabinets and parts they use are much nicer, but you sure as hell pay for it.

#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Two NIB and have had another 3-4 HUO’s pass through here.
I don’t buy sterns anymore. Until they figure their shit out they wont get my $$$. Too bad because I would have bought GB and SW in an instant if they had figured things out.

I won't buy a new Stern today. I am waiting for them to ramp up the overall quality and I have a feeling it will be a very long wait. Kiss, Aerosmith and GOTG would have all been must buys for me.

For the record, I have 38 machines and all are manufactured by Stern.

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Are there any errors in the info he provided?

Nope.

#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Personally, I am. That’s a legal thing to stop people from demanding perfection (this is Pinball and complicated mechanical items like this will always have minor imperfections).

My other mechanical items, in the same price range, either have no imperfections or imperfections which would require a powerful loupe to view them. (wristwatch, stereo equipment, appliances)

#1484 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Everyone is just assuming they are going to fail for some reason.

Well, in fairness, purchasing the cheapest part with little regard to overall quality has been Stern's M.O. for a few years now.

The assumption is not without merit.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1489 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Yours have to be some of the most baffling comments in this thread. You stated have 38 sterns? Are they mostly classic sterns or something? If so that's a super awesome collection. If not then you have almost every stern from Harley Davidson until spike started?

In most instances, I own the same game in multiple iterations. For example -

SM (Red, Black, Vault)
FG and Shrek
AV (Pro and Both LEs)
Metallica (Pro and Premium)
IM (Original and Vault)
Elvis (Standard and Gold)

#1501 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Are you routing them? Or do you just like collecting the ones you like the most? I have a friend who has a few repeats also.

No, I just collect them for home use.

I purchase based on looks/style as much as gameplay. I own an RSLE only because I think it's a pretty game. The game play doesn't do much for me.

#1520 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

That's cool, just wondered. I own a RZ also and I'm one of the few fools that actually really likes the gameplay.

Not a fool, just different strokes.

#1527 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If your not against some extra light get you a pinstadium kit for it. Really helps to show off that awesome playfield.

Appreciate the tip.

#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I had my own "Dark Night for Stern" last Saturday.
I own quite a few of their pins, LOVE them to Death and they will never leave my house. But what I saw and played on Saturday will never get into my house. I had skipped on the last 3 Stern titles already due to their current poor build quality and seeing this broke my heart.
Dimples like I have never seen on a new title and of course, ghosting.
And it was obvious that all money went into buying the license, not the BOM.

That should buff right out.

#1574 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No, you just keep playing it and the whole playfield will eventually be a solid dimple and you will never know

That was always my favorite line of BS.

#1576 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

how can you cut corners on that ?) and then these concerns about the long term viability of Spike...what’s a poor pinhead to do ?

If there is a corner which can be cut, Stern will find it.

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Since Gary said they could "put a box of blinking lights on SW and sell........" maybe they are using the older crap PF's for some of that SW run?

Maybe, but still disconcerting.

1 week later
#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Regarding the play field dimples on SW posted earlier.
I have a vintage 10 years old Potc that looks almost new, has 800+ plays not that many that I’d expect all dimples to even out. Most of my light play Stern pins look the same.
I know that’s still new to some routed games but I’d except that Potc PF was made of stronger stuff. Has some dimples but not god awful.

Stern now manufactures expensive toys as opposed to commercial vending equipment.

Stern should contract out for pinball sized ping pong balls to include with their games. It'll help with the cratering.

3 months later
#1736 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Expected much more from Zach.

I didn't.

#1746 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The guy from the joker show definitely was a Jackass. Why the hell would they hire a guy to do what he did? Lol.....unbelievable!

Nepotism?

Do they give these relatively important jobs to incompetent family members?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.99
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=mike_j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.