69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#300 6 years ago

Stern can correct the issues everyone is complaining about if they would just revisit what they did in 2003-2006 when they produced some of the best games of all time in terms of quality construction and finished code. Maybe they don’t care and it really is about quantity over quality. GS at expo clearly played up how many games they were making each year (three games, three models, vault and/or studio).

They have clearly deviated from that earlier period, but have had some home runs with twd and met, which aren’t up to the quality of tspp and lotr, but still are worthy examples of what’s right with games. Transformers and X-men are also well built games with good code (though xmen took a while to get there).

Moving to spike and the issues with play fields, stripping down games and features, all of which coincides with notably higher prices, does not sit well with a lot of people, including me. If they want to charge as much as they do, built the games like they used to.

JJP is a great alternative as are some other manufacturers like Spooky and American Pinball. JJP builds great games, but they are really pushing the envelope on pricing. I am thinking very hard about how to handle POTC, love to support them, but the jump in pricing from what I think is an already very high level, is making me think long and hard about how I want to approach my collection going forward.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Or... maybe they just blame their expo performance on other things, and keep going forward in the exact same direction.
The only indicator of Stern needing to change or not are their sales and profit numbers. And that’s information we don’t have access to. If they look at that and like the direction and projections, they won’t change anything. However, if they look at it and say hmmm, why are sales down, the tough questions can start.

Gary claimed they grew 40% y/y at the presentation...believe it or not. Wasn’t clear if he was taking dollars or volume, but either way That’s pretty rapid growth for a company like stern. If that is true, I would not expect any changes with growth like that.

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah because TWD, GB, GOT, TRON, AC/DC, AS, Kiss, MET and many other games are just terrible right? You're just another Stern hater.

Don’t forget tspp and lotr, two of the best games ever made in terms of quality, aesthetics and code. Come on stern, get back in the groove!

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I purchased the most expensive dishwasher in the store about 2 years ago. It is a kitchen aid and it is a giant piece of crap. I've fixed it constantly, all the plastics have broken inside, plastics on the racks, plastics on the bottom assembly. Nothing holds up. All the Kitchen Aid, Kenmore, Whirlpool, Maytag all use the same parts, wouldn't of mattered what I bought. Bosch is different though, they do their own thing. My dishwasher doesn't dry worth a crap either. I'm glad this came up, I feel better getting to vent! Oh, and I paid like $1,200 for mine, what a rip off.

Bosch dishwashers are different, they don’t have internal heaters to dry dishes, which is one reason they are so dependable and more energy efficient. Plus, They are made in Canada and are super quiet. You can’t open the dishwasher when the load is done or they will be wet. We run ours overnight, they are dry in the morning. Have ours about 8 years after dealing with crap from whirlpool. Love the Bosch.

#809 6 years ago

I have yet to play a stern game from any era that wasn’t fun, even those not highly rated like wwf, mustang, csi, Wof, etc. the issues I have now and why I am very hesitant to buy a new stern game are the quality of the games and the spike system, which I cannot repair (easily). All games break and I need to be able to repair them myself and quickly. The lack of service rails in pro games, for example, which may seem minor, are actually a big deal to me.

I hope stern is reading this as some suggest they do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.