69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Stern's biggest mistake is not having a rep on forums like this answering questions and keeping us somewhat happy with the work they are doing.

Pinside is like Lord of the Flies. We kill our own, eat our young, and are generally a pack of animals. Them being in here would just lead to more rancor.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You know he can lower his price $1000 easily and still make hefty profits. It would open him up to a much larger group of collectors, and his sales would double. Instead of $8500 he was at $7500 for the standard. If he sold double the amount of games, I think would be a better benefit, than trying to milk out $1000 out of half as many buyers.

They are building games as quickly as they can. If you order POTC today, you won’t see it for at least 6-9 months. Maybe longer. JJP doesn’t need twice the customers right now.

Once they can build them twice as fast, that becomes an option. But for now, it is what it is.

#316 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

JJP has mad some beautiful games. The debate has been ferocious about weather or not they are fun etc.

WOZ was a blast. I’m glad I owned one. I never liked the Hobbit movies (loved LOTR), so I was out on that. And when I played Dialed In, it didn’t do it for me. So like all pinball (and life), JJP is hit or miss. I’m thinking this one might be good.

#357 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I think Stern needs to go away from Expo and have a long hard look at themselves.

Or... maybe they just blame their expo performance on other things, and keep going forward in the exact same direction.

The only indicator of Stern needing to change or not are their sales and profit numbers. And that’s information we don’t have access to. If they look at that and like the direction and projections, they won’t change anything. However, if they look at it and say hmmm, why are sales down, the tough questions can start.

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Gary claimed they grew 40% y/y at the presentation...believe it or not. Wasn’t clear if he was taking dollars or volume, but either way That’s pretty rapid growth for a company like stern. If that is true, I would not expect any changes with growth like that.

Well there we go. 40% year over year means the new direction is validated and we should expect more of the same. Bummer.

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If this was simply intended to indicate the company is healthy then drop some other numbers - average games built per day, what games are selling, which are not (and why and how they are going to address that). How is competition impacting their business?

No private company in the world answers questions like those. And if they do let me know who, because I’ll take that kind of information and beat them right out of their industry.

#408 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Gary always insists that on location pins is Stern's bread and butter, and is the main cog in keeping pinball afloat. I heard him talk half a dozen times and I always walk away perplexed. I know dozens of people that own pins, but don't know of any new pins on location.

I’m not perplexed by it. Do the math, it’s a lie. It may be true overseas, but around me I see games go into houses, and very few go onto location.

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I have 4 barcades within a 15 mile radius of me and tons of newer Sterns on location near me. The midwest is jam packed with new Sterns on location. The US is a big place. Just because you don't have a barcade within a few miles doesn't mean they aren't popping up like crazy.

I had 2 great locations a bit over an hour away... both went out of business.

Say all four locations get each and every Stern (unlikely, but I’ll rely on you to tell me if all 4 of them have Star Wars). If they all do, that is still only 4 games in a spot with a very rare glut of pinball.

I’m leaning more and more towards thinking 95% are I bought by regular people.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.