69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I know it would never happen, but Stern's absolute best counter to JJP's reveal would be to announce a price DROP. It would further establish that they're in the large scale operator and family NIB market, while allowing JJP to tackle the high end "exotic car" market.
Their LE's can't hold a candle to JJP's standard market, and instead of trying to show value in an $8500 pin, they should drop their 3 price points and dominate the lower tier markets. Put the existing Pro models out at $4750 with a two-for-$9K deal so they can market that you can get 2 Stern Pro's for 1 JJP Pro shipped. That's how you position yourselves strategically.
However, this would make total sense, so obviously Stern wouldn't do such a thing. I have that feeling suggesting a discount to GS is like suggesting a buy-one-get-one-free to Mort.
» YouTube video

Yeah, officially declaring you sell cheap shit is a brilliant marketing strat!

They already dominate the pinball market as a whole so not sure what this would accomplish besides making them look stupid and eating into their profits?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Not really what I said at all, but thanks for trying.
Value propositions for home owners, quicker ROI's and perhaps less maintenance for operators...etc. Show a bang for your buck at lower price points because someone else is owning the $8500-$12K market right now.
Do you think Ford or Chevy (damn, forgot you don't like carguments)... Old Navy, Insignia TV's, (less frills) grocery stores, and anything else in the large scale market runs with a marketing strategy of "we sell cheap shit"? No, they position themselves and cater to a certain market by showing VALUE for what you get... and they succeed.

It's exactly what you said and it makes no sense.

I don't see Ford or Chevy slashing their prices or offering twofers to compete with Mercedes.

Your idea makes zero sense at all but thanks for trying.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The Operator strategy has always been about what YOU EARN - not your entry price point. Games have residual values and always have. Operators care about coin drop above all else. What is Stern doing about that???

Continuing to offer the only viable games for an operator to build a route on.

Ops can go JJP, and take an extra year or two to make up the difference on the already abysmal ROI on pinball.

They can go with more expensive boutiques that all play terribly and have reliability and will-they-exist-in-a-year issues.

Or they can keep doing what they are doing.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

No, it's how someone who incorrectly interpreted it thinks it reads. Ford and Chevy know to stay out of pools in which they can't swim. They know their bread and butter is in trucks and commuter cars. When they try to tap into those exotic markets, more often than not they're unsuccessful. Hyundai Equus, VW Phaeton, Chevy SS, Pontiac G8 - all failures. Smart companies know what works, and they stick to that for the vast bulk of their business.
If you think my idea which basically entails a revert to 2015 pricing, a value proposition, and a promotion that takes shot at someone who is taking away market share, makes zero sense (zero, like not even a shred, just absolute zero... because you're the know-all!) then please, be my guest to explain your $0.02 better than just misinterpreting my words and acting in your typical dismissive self.

I can't help but be dismissive of a terrible idea that makes zero sense and has already been proven a failure in the industry.

The only time in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the pinball business anybody actually cut prices (and made it a marketing point!) was in 1990 when Premier created the "street line." You know how that worked out?

I don't want to sound like a "know it all" but trust me, it wasn't the explosive success you outlined in your posts. And Premier wasn't even the market leader at the time either, they were a couple years away from going tits up. It was a desperate move that failed spectacularly with each meager-selling model doing worse than the last - why would Stern, the market leader, try the same thing?

I'm sure the explanation has something to do with cars but it isn't going to convince me.

silver (resized).jpgsilver (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I don't think anyone is asking for another Street Line, and no one is asking to mimic anything Gottlieb ever did or created (yet to be fair, didn't Title Fight have 5 flippers?).
So you're opinion is that Stern should do nothing, pretend like JJP didn't just blow up the $8-12K market with the ace historically only up Stern's sleeve (a Disney License), and not consider any way at all this Expo to steal JJP's thunder and orders that most certainly are rolling in? Also, look at how many people are saying SW/GOTG/personal sales dollars are now going to JJPOTC. Stern should just watch that potential revenue go out the window?
A modest price revert to 2015, hell, keep pricing as is and throw in that HD glass and/or shaker for the remainder of 2017. Maybe that stupid candy apron that looks to have had zero sales to Pinsiders so far. Usually when your competition hits a grand slam, you have the bullpen warming up. You just don't stay the course and let the bases get loaded again. You act. Any promotion can be conceived, approved, and announced by end of day and involves no R&D. You don't always have to combat with "the next release".

I think Stern has smart people running the show now, and they aren't going to impulsively change direction based upon one day of Pinside posts, just like JJP didn't cut prices on or cancel Dialed In - a masterpiece - when everybody shat all over it a year ago. You are asking them to react to...what exactly? What has changed for them in the last 24 hours? Are they suddenly broke? Have their distributors abandoned them? Are they now on the precipice of bankruptcy?

Any long-term decisions they make are going to be based on months and years of market trends and research, not 12 hours of pinside nonsense. They've been making games for thirty years now. Whatever they do, cutting prices and marketing themselves as a cheap alternative is a huge mistake for a market leader, one that no company lead by sane people would ever do.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

SW pro is a fantastic fast playing great pinball machine, whats the point of all this Stern is in trouble crap, am I only the only one who doesn't give a shit? I mean its 3500 more for a JJP standard, it better be amazing.

You didn't hear? It's all over for stern, and they'd better slash prices and reposition their marketing as the "Yugo of pinball" or they'll be tits up in a year.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Sorry. but those Stern's look like cheap crap to me. Of course the usual negative people are here disagreeing, so I went to look at their collections to see why. For some reason they were listed as private. Curious....

All of the negative people are disagreeing with your positive assertion that Sterns look like cheap crap?

Help me out with this one.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I believe they have gotten themselves into a tough situation. Stern impregnated themselves with this massive new building and all the overhead that comes with it. I'm guessing the only way to make sense of it is to produce an amount of titles which is more than there capable of. The changes in clear coat, wood quality and lack of code all align with a company that is overwhelmed, in a rush and past capacity.
They had such a neat deal with building the remakes to fill empty spots on the line and cover costs during down time. Between those and the vaults, and a game or two a year they had such a proven model. Should have stayed in the old building or smaller one and not gotten into this monster. No company can keep making these mistakes and not feel the consequences eventually
Bottom line thinking and out of control overhead. I hope they get this in line for everyone. I really want them to put out some nice games.

I hate when I impregnate myself.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Fair enough, but where are they putting them? I live in an MSA of about 200,000 people or so. There is one (1) modern Stern on rout in my entire MSA, a TRS pro. There are two other routed machines in my MSA, a South Park and a RCT.
Yet in my MSA there are about 40 or so modern Srerns in homes and game rooms that I know of. That's about a 40-1 ratio where I live. Where are all the routed Sterns, if they are out there?

Not in LA, a state where video gambling has killed off pinball.

You have to realize there are Sterns on location all the Hell over the place. In NYC there's probably over 100.

Maybe there's more Sterns in home use now then locations? Still, the majority of locations have at least one "modern" stern.

#494 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I agree with you there. I think DI probably has the greatest playfield layout of all time. The game is solid all around and fun to play but the theme doesn't do it any favors when it comes to game sales. For me the game is great in almost all aspects but falls short in a few categories. The biggest is just that the theme lacks excitement and is far too whimsical for my tastes. It doesn't really give me an adrenaline rush when playing and the game could use more exciting jackpot call-outs and perhaps a bit more risk/reward and a sense of urgency while you're playing. I get what the theme is going for but at the same time it doesn't really immerse me.

I don't get that at all. The game is FILLED with risk-reward urgency. Start multiball, or skip out and try to get a mode going? When do you fire away at Big Bang? Chase jackpots in multi or fire the ball up in there to try to cash in SIM cards? Go for kickback or risk losing the ball by starting a mode without it? Try to kill attacks in multiball, or go for jackpots/Add a ball shots and risk getting hit with flipper flutter?

Try playing this game in a tournament on hard settings (no ball save, diff kickback) and tell me it has no risk reward. I'd say there's more of this in Dialed In than ANY other title of the past decade or so.

Just because the game isn't screaming inanities at you at top volume doesn't mean there's no risk reward.

If I want immersion I'll buy the $300 Dark Side of the Moon box set. I don't think people even realize what they want anymore with most pins and themes.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#513 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

“...and risk getting hit with flipper flutter.”
I doubt anybody has actually lost a ball down the drain due to flipper flutter. It’s very subtle twitch has little affect. Just ignore

Are you kidding?

You can't ignore it. If it's happening you better be aware of it - you won't be able to hold the flipper up. And if you don't time it right you won't get a flip either. I've certainly lost balls before when I wasn't paying attention due to this.

#522 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Turn off replay and match.
They are vestigial leftovers from the 1960's when they were the major reward factor of a simple EM game. They have no place in 2017 when the operating market is a hundredth of the size it was then and most people don't even realize what they are. No casual player will ever miss either of them.
Will pinheads complain? Maybe, but they're not the bread and butter market anyway, as you just said. I love me a free game but I'd rather the operator make a living.

Pinheads will not only complain they'll bitch and raise hell. I've seen and heard both the sound and the fury.

That being said I agree - turn 'em off. Seems silly to be giving away free games - no other coin op equipment does it, and all of the other ones have a much better ROI than pinball.

#743 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yup have to agree. People slam stern every minure of the day on here but you say one bad thing about spooky and they are all over you lol. Kinda funny how that works ain't it? It's perfectly ok though for Gary to be everybodys personal punching bag!

This is a pretty good point. It's been made clear that it's a-ok to go beyond criticizing products and policies around here. Perfectly acceptable to attack pretty much everybody at stern personally, and say really awful things about them and their motivations.

If that's so, nobody is off limits, not even the sweethearts at Spooky.

1 week later
#1221 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Then drain it. Buh-bye. You don't own the threads you start. If they veer off course, leave them. Stop trying to be a boss on am internet forum.
CRAP!

Tough but fair.

If you truly love a thread, you must set it free. It’s funny how paternal people get over “their” threads. They ain’t your kids, and even if they were, you must let your children make their own way in this cruel world! Only then can they truly flourish.

#1230 6 years ago

It’s a dark night for jfh’s tbread.

#1245 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This thread has totally lost sight of what it was originally about,

bullshit. From the jump this was just another Stern bashing thread. Cause 30 weren't enough.

#1253 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It was a little more focused than that, and frankly, your early takes were off base. Now your back commenting on the OP leaving, but not people questioning your early opinion.
What’s up with that?

I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday much less what my “early take” was 2 weeks ago lol. Glad Someone else is cataloguing everything for me though. I’ll bow out at this time as I’m not sure what constitutes bickering anymore.

(Not announcing a drain! I’m not draining! I repeat, not draining! Just leaving!)

5 months later
#1785 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Last night we saw a remarkable difference between the two major pinball companies during their Expo sessions.
Stern gave a presentation on how barcades and beer are their future and talked about their market without talking about the key topics that are important to the pinball buyers that make the difference - enthuisiasts and operators who actually buy the games from Stern distributors.
We heard nothing about how Stern plans to make anything better for their customers, no commitment to excellence, no acknowledgement of growing pains, quality control issues, no understanding that deep and feature complete code matter to a significant majority of their market or why it's important to have open, frequent and transparent communication with those buyers. Gary Stern, arguably the savior of pinball, demonstrated that his company is willing to cede the title of best pinball company to JJP because Stern is more interested in being a manufacturer than delivering world class pinball machines.
It was well understood Stern was not going to reveal a new game. No big deal. The expectation was that they were going to relaunch their flagship 30th Anniversary game, Batman 66, that was released early to meet the 2016 anniversary deadline. At Expo last year we saw a georgous, unplayable game with pretty lights with a promise that designer George Gomez and programmer Lyman Sheets were going to deliver a game that would do the theme justice, exploit the new LCD screen and the amazing audio and video assets they have for Batman.
Early LE and SLE buyers of Stern's most expensive game ever were willing to take the risk because they were big Batman fans, big Stern supporters and believed George when he said Stern was committed to deliver a game both he and Lyman wanted to own themselves. Others were not so sure and distributors struggled to sell Premiums, not because the theme wasn't popular but because the game was barely playable.
From January to May we saw the code improve and hints of greatness to come (parachute pickup mode) and then complete radio silence until Expo when attendees were the first to experience the first update in 5 months. Those that actually paid for their games - some almost a year ago - don't have access to the code (they did get a vague promise that something might be released in a week or so, but that it still wasn't going to be anything close to release level code or the game George and Lyman supposedly want it to be). We got lip service as to why and no commitment to keeping owners in the loop. Owners of Star Wars and other games in serious need of code fixes didn't fare much better.
A couple hours later we saw a company that understood and acknowledged past missteps. Jersey Jack started with comments and presentations that showed they were committed to excellence, were willing to take risks, understood what their customers wanted and then followed that by revealing their POTC game in an 180 degree change from the disastrous reveal for Dialed In last year (a game that has exceeded expectations despite the initial negativity).
I do not care for the POTC theme and will not be a buyer, but the reveal was a home run. The game looks fast (a fast widebody!), fun and incredibly deep. JJP says it will deliver in 1Q18 with feature complete code, similar to what they did with Dialed In. What we saw last night was a game that was supposedly 20% complete that had more code than Stern's three most recent games combined.
The JJP team indicated they are here to stay for generations to come. I always wanted them to succeed and am now convinced they will. Someone said in another thread that JJP has now become the WMS of the 90s (the gold standard) and Stern was again Data East. With the stark differences in build quality now readily apparent to anyone that wants to look, that may be true. Stern may have the greater sales volume, but they are no longer the market leader in pinball.
Unless management at Stern wakes up from their "we own the market" stupor quickly and acknowledges and addresses the needs of the "enthusiast" community their beer and barcades future may be populated with competitor's games. They may see the impressive 40% growth disappear as fast as it came.
I love the idea of a fabulous Batman 66 machine. I like Stern. I want them to be more successful. However after last night I have no faith they want me as a buyer. I'm excited at the possibility of a new, great Elvira game. But I'm no longer going to buy a game for what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.

L. O. L.

Never change pinside.

3 months later
#1818 5 years ago

This thread continues to age really well!

3 months later
#1847 5 years ago

OK so any predictions on who "wins" Expo this year?

Or who will be experiencing dark nights?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.