69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1660 6 years ago

Where are all the people with NIB Stern issues?
All I'm seeing is non-Stern owners telling everyone else about how bad NIB Sterns are.
Not that there aren't any out there, but I'm not convinced it's any greater than any other manufacturer.

I just bought an AFMrLE. If you think it doesn't have it's share of issues, you are sadly mistaken.
Check the thread. Auto-plunger not 100%, chipping playfield, slanted UFO drop bank, flipper springs breaking after few games...
Fortunately, my issues are only with the auto-plunger. Hoping to have that tweaked.

My buddy bought a DILE. Same goes there.

These are REAL issues that I've witnessed firsthand.
Your complaints come across much more like slander.

2 weeks later
#1699 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about GOT, SMVE, AC/DCVE, AS, KISS, SW, GB? Those are all pretty solid titles. BM66 is coming around pretty good also finally.
It's not all bad. I do however disagree that the spike systems reliability is total crap. I know way too many people who own spike system games that have no problems what so ever.

Dude, don't bother. It's beyond logic.
Look at the AFMrLE thread. Look at the JJP Dialed In thread. Look at the Alien thread.
Then ignore them all, and state that many Stern owners are just hiding their issues.
So much for providing evidence.

#1710 6 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

and all the quality issues

Whatever.
You want to see what quality issues look like? Go read the AFM thread, the DialedIn thread, or the Aliens thread.

Please find me Pinsiders having actual unresolved problems with their recently purchased Stern pins. I don't believe it's any worse than any other manufacturer.

#1716 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My Aerosmith arrived with a split cabinet, separating veneers & gouged backbox from bolts being over-torqued. The PF has some issues too.
It has a software bug that carried over from a 2015 game, it can reset at times, it's lacking several very simple programming features (sounds, etc), it's been out for almost a year already & it cost a shit ton of money.
I'm not a Bally/WMS loyalist. 100% of my lineup is Stern. They're my favorite manufacturer. They made good on my cabinet eventually too.
So what does it mean when their target customer, a repeat customer & enthusiast, "complains"?

I don't think that anyone on here would begrudge you for complaining/being upset at the pin you got, and what you went through.
None of us want to deal with quality control issues.
That said, there are so few of these complaints from Stern buyers AND Stern seems to making good on fixing the issues that do occur.
So are we now arguing that "Stern isn't perfect"? Nobody's saying they are. But stating that there are "ongoing quality control issues" is ignorant.

Pinside is apparently a very small demographic of pinball owners, but it seems to be large enough to give us all a good idea of what's happening.
When I find multiple Stern buyers, complaining about physical quality control issues that remain unresolved, I'll reconsider buying from Stern.
Software bugs do and will occur, and in my opinion are no different from incomplete code. If you buy a pin in the early stages, be prepared to put up with that stuff. It's not the end of the world but if it bugs you, you should probably wait until code is complete and bug-free. Buying before then is a risk we all know is part of the game.

I'd love to see a poll of buyers currently suffering from quality issues and who the manufacturer was. Based on the numerous posts for AFM, Alien, Dialed In, I'd say Stern is producing FAR FEWER pins with issues than any of the other makers.

At the end of the day, the best thing about buying new is that the manufacturers all appear to be backing their products, supporting buyers and fixing issues. The chipping playfields and ghosting inserts appear to be the only serious issues that are not being resolved as they're too expense to fix.

2 months later
#1767 6 years ago

What’s the point in spending time and money on marketing a new pinball machine?
Stern is much more likely to see great sales by simply inviting Jack Danger over for another Deadflip video.
Truth is, most of us would love to see big money ads, telling us what we can look forward to, but we’ll still wait for code before buying any title.
I was disappointed in the released info/video last weekend but after seeing the video on Tuesday, I really want this game and will be getting one.
So yes, it would be nice for Stern to waste lots of money for us to watch something cool, but I doubt it would sell any more machines. They’re better off continuing to hire more coders to help make all of their titles complete with 1.0 code.

1 week later
#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

WOZ is my favorite game of all time, just ahead of MM and SM. It’s MY opinion. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but apparently you think it’s an indicator of intelligence. Ironic?

Well that would explain why you tend to call Stern fans “white knights”.
To each their own.
It’s actually pretty funny how one man’s trash is another man’s treasure in this hobby.

#1782 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think its an indicator that you don’t know Jack sh*t about pinball lol.

In all fairness, Woz is amazing at what it does. It’s just that “what it does” is quite different from Stern machines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 34.99
Pinball Machine
Almighty Mods
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.