69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

They did make make an amazing SW game, maybe not to you but have u played it? with the latest code and the inclusion of both a video mode and the light saber duel it feels basically complete, I don't know what the final mode is if you finish all 4 characters if there is one but otherwise Face the Emperor is very cool. Boba fett mode with a strobe, light saber mode which is very cool, different call outs and clips for different characters, many multis all stackable and 4 mini wizards as well, ok its doesn't have a upper mini playfield which I don't like anyway, and its not loaded with alot of childish toys which I also dislike but when you have lets say 2 mini wizard multi's going then add a Tie fighter multi, maybe a hyper space multi all while trying to move the shot multiplier for maximum points its a rush, great audio and call outs not too mention the lighting effects, what the hell r u talking about?

Quoted from dnapac:

I think beatmaster had this preconceived idea of what Star Wars should be and is disappointed...like many others (force magnets, tons of toys to slow it down, and having Luke levitate the game when being trained by Yoda). But, I think Stern nailed it...total adrenaline rush and blazing fast! You need to play this game many times to really understand it, but I can see the casual player on-site have a blast with it.

I think from now on, based solely on these two well-thought-out and entirely correct posts, I will just upvote everything you two gentlemen write. Nobody plays any of the other 11 games in my house anymore. NOBODY. You can say it's a honeymoon phase, but I've had it for 2 months now. The new code is terrific, the lights, sound, music, and video clips are all epic. And I have no idea WTF anybody who keeps trashing it is talking about anymore at this point.

So keep up the good fight, guys. There IS a silent minority (or even majority) around here who has just given up trying to convince people how great this game is.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Seven pages of a possibly controversial "stern" subject and not one thread eject. I'm impressed.

Could the mods please eject this guy for criticizing the mods?

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

you'll get something like this for $1.

I think she'll cost you more than a dollar.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

so you can spend $4700 for a mediocre game at best or $9500 for a machine that will provide years and years of entertainment for all....pretty easy decision in my book....

POTC is far better than a mediocre game, and has one of the best toys in pinball...even all these years later. You're already prejudging the new game based on the reveal. It's gorgeous, but I was so annoyed by the callouts ("Aarrrrrgh! Ye be warned!") that I had to mute the thing to continue watching with the sound off. Looks to me like it might have an equal chance of providing years and years of annoyance.

I'm going to jump off the hype train and wait and see how things pan out.

1 week later
#1044 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I really thought you were joking, but then read the rest of the post. Guess not ... Jesus man, really? And yes, I have played it. Stern has some really good stuff - but not that one. (Yes I have played it enough...and I am a GOT fan)

I mean no disrespect, but the irony of this post made me laugh. You own a Hobbit. I sold my fully-paid interest in Hobbit to get a GOT LE. Greatest decision I ever made. I actually agree that it's a great pin, as do many of the guys who compete at the highest levels. Just ask 'em.

#1092 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Let's not turn this thread into another battle of the fanboys. Both Stern and JJP have had issues. The point of the thread was to raise concern that while JJP has taken significant action to improve, Stern has gone in the opposite direction.
There was a recent post in the Batman 66 club thread that said Stern isn't addressing the needs of its customer base.
This pretty much sums up this thread. That customer base, of which we are a key part, has to apply pressure by keeping their wallets closed. It's up to each and every one of us to help, no matter how enticing a new title/theme may be. We might miss a game or two we might otherwise by at release or miss out on an LE, but if we don't change our actions, Stern will certainly never change theirs.

I agree. I get tired of the bickering. I love JJP's machines, and I love Stern's machines. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not a fan of Hobbit or a few of the Stern titles, but I can always find the good in every game. Even if I had a Shaq Attack as my only game, it's still better than the games I had five years ago. It's pinball and I love pinball. Give me an old Gottlieb or a wood rail and I can still have fun with it. Guess I'm pretty f**ked up, eh? This nitpicking is exhausting.

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I actually play games & understand them. Most people here understand and respect my opinions and knowledge of games...even if they disagree with me, they get where I'm coming from & know I'm coming from a place of experience.

This, along with your avatar, is one of the most pretentious things I've ever read on Pinside.

Sorry we're such idiots.

#1320 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

IMO the only Stern to consider is a Pro.
Once you reach Stern’s Premium or LE pricing you should just go JJP.
Example:
Stern Star Wars LE
Vs
JJP Pirates
I mean. Cmon. FFS. Don’t be a fool.

Looking at those two games, and knowing how much fun SW is, I'd gladly be a fool and buy it again.

Worth. Every. Penny.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I think they would have done a reveal at Expo only if they were 100% certain it would have been the star of the show. With JJP's reveal looming and the very real possibility they may be outdone, it just didn't make sense for them to do it. They made a good decision IMO. The inevitable comparisons between POTC and GOTG would not have been in their favour. I choose #4.

And what's that say about Stern's faith in their own product, especially versus competitors' products?

#1384 6 years ago

I'm trying to find places to put some mods in the game but there aren't many options with that hyperloop in the way. That had to be a consideration when they were designing the game. Plus I think most of the budget was probably spent on the license. I don't care. I still think it's a wonderful game.

A lot of people on this site seem to be overly concerned with how much plastic crap they can jam in a game (groot's hands, for instance). I'm more concerned with how it plays. AFM is a stripped down masterpiece, and I feel the same way about star wars.

(Okay... Masterpiece might be a bit strong, but it's still epic.)

#1399 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, people have dumped (or tried to dump) SW and BM'66 very quickly. Noticeably more so than usual.

???

I've seen hardly any LEs for sale on the secondary market. A few more pros and premiums, but not "noticeably more." Most of the machines for sale are still NIB.

3 years later
#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Just like the Mona Lisa, it’s not much fun to play.

I've always said that JJP makes the most beautiful games on the planet. But until they figure out a way to hang a pinball machine on the wall so I can admire it in a museum--or they release a theme I can't pass up--I'll be content to look at others' beautiful games while I play my ugly (but incredibly fun) Sterns.

#1901 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Why did GNR win all of those TWIPYs then including game of the year if it wasn't any fun to play? Some of you guys just have it out for JJP and will never give them a chance, it really comes across that. If Stern had made GNR you would be acting like it's the greatest game ever made lol.
Have had a chance to play both LZ LE and GNR LE. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed LZ, it's a fun game. Do I think more should be in it considering the price? Absolutely. Against GNR there's no comparison. GNR is more fun to play in my opinion, there's far more songs in the game, graphics are better, and theres far more band participation. Toss in the multiple molds in GNR, the mechanical features such as the 6 ball physical ball lock, and other interactive features such as the moving symbols, and the stage LCD + moving stage lights and again there's no comparison.

Again...you're making the argument about how much is packed into the game. There's no argument there. JJP will always win. Stern has a way of keeping you wanting to hit the Start button...empty playfield and all.

#1904 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

To me its always been the same... they are two different markets really.
JJP is more for the guys who dont care how they game plays as long as its packed full of stuff and Stern is more geared toward players.
JJP has two games (Dialed In and Wonka) that I would say play great thanks to Pat Lawlor... the rest are dogs.
Stern has JJP beat by a mile for playability and design from a players perspective.

I still think WOZ is a masterpiece...as long as you're into the theme and don't mind stop and go games like TZ.

#1908 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

TZ has way more flow than WOZ.

If you say so. They both seem like clunkfests to me.

#1913 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People just comparing those 2 games for reasons ill never grasp

That's a shame for you

Only a half shame; I love WOZ, but I never "got" TZ (even though I love the theme).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=beelzeboob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.