69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whitenoise3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 6 years ago

Stern can still complete with focusing on tournament-style games. It doesn't have to be expensive or packed to be fun.

However, put any Stern next to POTC2 on location and charge the same and I'm betting POTC2 takes the Lions share of coin drop.

JJP just dropped The Matrix and now all other action movies look dated in comparison.

1 week later
#816 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think I'm in a demographic you covet. I'm an LE buyer, not usually interested in a Pro. A year ago I had no problem buying your most expensive game ever. I would've bought LEs of two of your rumored future titles (GOTG and Elvira) practically sight unseen at launch. But now before I buy another Stern game you have to show me I'm not foolish to do so.

I second this. The good news is feedback shows there is interest in Stern's products. I own SM, IMVE, Shrek, POTC, XMLE, Tron, TSPP. I'm obviously interested in their products.

Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to see things from a different perspective.

1 week later
#1378 6 years ago

I was interested in the Star Wars LE when I heard about it. It was a grail theme for me. I even had $1000 down payment BEFORE the announcement. When it was actually announced I could not have been more disappointed. I backed out of my purchase. I thought about premium or pro but eventually decided to not get it. It was a combination of lackluster art, bare play field, and poor theme integration. It is basically a racing theme game (The Getaway: High Speed III perhaps) with a Star Wars decal on it.

Let me emphasize, this was a grail theme.

Also, my friend had a Ghostbusters LE that was a grail purchase for him. He sold it due to questionable longterm reliability and lack of code support.

I have LEs but my faith that Stern will consistently deliver an excellent product is gone. Unless Stern takes measures to reassure the customer of quality, they will continue to lose potential sales to other manufacturers.

Admittedly, there is currently no other company that is a high-volume manufacturer that competes with Stern for sales volume right now. So, right now we are stuck with the TINA (there is no alternative) situation. Stern knows this which is why they can continue to practice the way they do. Hopefully there will be a company that will be able to be the high-volume manufacturer alternative in the future. This always drives up innovation and quality. Stern doesn't really feel threatened right now.

To be clear, I want Stern to be great. I want their games to last for years and have great code.

For me, however, my next purchase are:

Twilight Zone
Attack from Mars Remake LE
Dialed In

No current plans for Stern.

#1388 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Just curious, but have you actually played SW yet? There are those that don’t like it, but many of us actually really like it. I’m not saying it’ll top TZ or AFM, but give it a legitimate chance if you ever have the opportunity to play one. Takes 10 or 20 games to get the hang of the multiplier swapping, but once you do it’s a rush to play.

My friend has a SWLE and he loves it. I have played multiple games on it. It just didn't feel like a Star Wars game for me. It feels more like a racing game. That works fine for others, just not my thing.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

You’re getting DI instead of POTC?

I have a POTC that I still enjoy playing. It is currently my wife's favorite game. I also have a Black Rose. I don't need three pirate themed games in my collection right now. I am also not a huge Pirates of the Caribbean movie fan.

I'm curious to see what Pat Lawler does without cost-cutting hand cuffs.

4 months later
#1766 6 years ago

I think Iron Maiden looks promising.

Stern has made some changes since Expo which is promising. It is still a work in progress. I though the code situation was horrible. They hired now programmers. I thought their LE versions became a joke. Iron Maiden LE sounds promising from the feature matrix. They hired Brian Eddy. They hired Keith Elwin. They hired Josh Sharpe.

I'm still in the wait and see category but this is the first game in a while that I've been excited to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 34.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whitenoise3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=Whitenoise3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.