69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#268 6 years ago

Normally I dislike JJP games. Dialed in was good. I enjoy it. But the POTC was fantastic. Normally i'd buy this title, but JJP's prices is so ridiculous I will not. You know he can lower his price $1000 easily and still make hefty profits. It would open him up to a much larger group of collectors, and his sales would double. Instead of $8500 he was at $7500 for the standard. If he sold double the amount of games, I think would be a better benefit, than trying to milk out $1000 out of half as many buyers. Plus it would force stern to either step up their quality game, or drop their prices in return.

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No doubt.
"I've got $7500 burning a hole in my pocket for a toy for my living room, but $8500 really makes me nervous".

well everyone should have a cutoff price in their head. I do it when I buy machines and I do it when buying cars. I can't even remember the last time I paid over $3500 for a car.

#301 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My cutoff price for a bean and cheese burrito is about $2, but sometimes I splurge and get a fully loaded burrito for more than $5.

fine if JJP goes $3 over my price point, i'll still pull the trigger. $7503

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know they have a saying everything is bigger in Texas, but where I'm at The Hollenbeck from El Tepiac what's known as a fully loaded burrito, and there aint nowhere in this country, you'll get something like this for $1.

everything in that picture looks good

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Black Knight is the guy that told everybody to completely remove "all the clear" before attempting to re-clear. lol
"I followed his advice and it removed all the paint off my PF... now what do I do?"
You guys sure love your self-appointed experts.
Nothing personal against the guy but I like people that have the confidence to say "I don't know" when they don't know the answer. These "expert" types loudly proclaim everything they say as "fact" even when they are out of their depth on certain subjects. They don't seem to realize that makes *all* their opinions suspect.

black knight is not a professional playfield restorer. All advice and things I state about playfield restoration are indeed fact, because i've been doing it for 11 years and have done close to 400 fields. So I do consider myself an expert when it comes to playfields.

#502 6 years ago

The lack of schematics and ability to repair spikes boards was the clincher for me. No more spike games for me ever. Unless I get them cheap and I don't plan on having them stick around.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah and the 3500 difference just for the standard, don't be foolish.

Ummmm the price between Stern POTC and JJPs lowest version is a price difference of $4700 actually. You could have bought 2 POTC's and money left over for what one JJP one costs.

#635 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

so you can spend $4700 for a mediocre game at best or $9500 for a machine that will provide years and years of entertainment for all....pretty easy decision in my book....

for 9500. I can buy 10 games that would provide years and years of entertainment, and have. How much you paid for something, has absolutely no reflection on if it's enjoyable or not. I have bought plenty of $400-500 games that are 20x's more fun than a lot of $2000-7500 games.

#636 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Now we're getting somewhere -- what percentage of pinball machines end up on boats? Gary needs to forget this whole barcade fad and focus on the yacht and cruise-ship markets.

I think they would know if they were made for cruise ships or yachts as the pinball machines on those, are set on a gyro system, so the playfield remains level even thou the ship is rocking back and forth. I'm sure there are limitation to how far the playfield can swivel, and does effect the ball in severe weather.

#709 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There seems to be a large percentage of collectors and pinsiders in general that are straight up converts from vids, and there in lies the problem. No concept of why pinball is not supposed to be like a video game.

pinball being like a video game is the only reason I ever got into pinball. Once TAF came out and realized that the ? door panel was the ending of the game, I was hooked. I played video games just to reach the ending and finish the games. Now pinball had that without the element of being able to do patterns. I was hooked. TAF one year, and TZ the next. Back to back awesomeness. Shit yeah!

And back then up until about 2007, I was a DMD snob like most of these guys are now. But once you played pretty much everything made, you expand your horizons (or find a different hobby). Then expand out to system 11 era...then early SS, and even EM and woodrails. Realizing you can have a blast in all eras of pinball. EM's and early SS games are fantastic to play with people. They have that, "just one more" element to them. And fantastic for dollar games because you don't wait around forever for your turn, and usually scores are neck and neck.

3 years later
#1924 2 years ago

people that focus on how much crap is on a JJP game, don't really play their games or know what they are doing when playing. JJP is a crapfest of clutter and confusion. Most are just not fun. Can't see shit because the GI's are fawking terrible. Inserts are brighter than the GI's, so it's like playing on your front window with the sun shining in. Every insert is lit all the time, so you have no idea what's going on, and the rules are overly complex where you just stop giving a shit. I would never give up a footprint of my collection for any JJP game to date.

Stern is great at mixing fun rules, with short term objectives that are clear to understand and fun to strive for, while making the rules just deep enough for the long haul. JJP could learn many things from stern when it comes to layouts and coding.

#1962 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

WTF. So you dont like the lights and you struggle learning code that doesnt invlove anything more complicated than "shoot the coloured lights"?
You're missing out on some great games. But you do you.

in case you havn't noticed. I'm a big advocate on proper lighting on games. It's the single most important aspect on any pinball machine. If you can't see the ball, you can't play. Plain and simple. If you fawk up the GI's, the game is useless. JJP's GI system with the light up post to distribute light, is a straight up shit system. Light distribution is horrible. Just as horrible as their weak feeling flippers. The TWO most important parts of a pinball machine, they screwed it up. Flippers and GI lighting. Terrible on both fronts for JJP. AP flippers feel weak too, but at least they do the GI's correctly and you can see.

#1963 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Today I woke up and finally realized my JJP games are no fun! I looked at all of the toys and thought "I don't need these". I've since removed both upper playfields from WOZ, tossed Smaug from Hobbit, and removed all of the magnets from Dialed In. I'm free! As soon as my GNR LE get's here the first thing that is going is that upper playfield, no way will I have that taking up valuable space that could otherwise be for air. Maybe I'll even glue the spinning record in place, don't want too many things moving in a game nowadays.
Thank you!

I see you finally see the light. Many around here that bought JJP games, have went the same road. You don't really learn until you own one. Congrats on starting to actually play your games.

#1965 2 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

To each their own I guess... We love our Pirates and it spells out what to do, you just have to know where to look. What do I know though, I don't know how to or play my games.

Thumbs up for a very diverse collection. Love it. You are an exception, because you have diversity. You can tell you play your games. The ones who don't, are the ones that own all JJPs with nothing else, or a Stern LE or something to try and not look like a fanboy......and wipe them off with a diaper while they look at them from across the room. Then sell them down the road with less than 200 plays on them.

#1993 2 years ago

have lots of respect for diverse collections. Nice work.

I get POTC. I like the looks and layout. But the rules are so over the top, it becomes unfun. When everything is lit and gives you a reward for something, it's just not exciting.

#1997 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The rules in Pirates are not hard to grasp and everything is not lit all of the time. Each of the 5 movies has its own large insert and are represented by a specific color for that movie.
When you are in a chapter mode you just hit the lit shots that will be in the color from that movie. Same with multiballs. Thats it, easy, no crazy dull math based rules as seen on a lot of other games. That lighting system you love to bash on JJP games does a great and easy job of showing the player which shots to hit.

the lighting job I complain about is the GI's. GI's means general illumination. Which is terrible on most JJP games because they try to light up a post to throw light topside. Lighting up a post from the bottom of the playfield, does not throw light out sideways enough. Light distribution is poor at best.

#2007 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Black Knight is fine, there's a big difference between GI effects during a lightshow and that awful JJP GI that simply doesn't work. Had to keep a light near my WOZ because it couldn't light itself up enough to play properly.

absolutely this. This is the problem with WOZ, hobbit, wonka and POTC. GNR suffers the same fate.

Most people have dim lit, or completely dark gamerooms. Why? because of glare. Glare is horrible. There is a reason arcades were pitch black back in the day. nothing worse than having room lighting glaring off the glass of pinball machines or arcades. 96% of people have gamerooms that are very dark or black. Hence why GI's are so damn important.

#2009 2 years ago

hardly anyone around here buys anti glare glass. Which really doesn't work that well anyway. Doesn't eliminate backglass glare or display glare anyway.

We played GNR LE on location recently and it was a shitshow for lighting. Even in a well lit room, we couldn't see shit because the inserts were 3x's brighter than the GI's. and 90% of them were lit all the time.

Dialed in, seems to be better lit than other JJP games. Don't know why. But it's much better than others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.99
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.