69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 41.
#2001 2 years ago

Black Knight is fine, there's a big difference between GI effects during a lightshow and that awful JJP GI that simply doesn't work. Had to keep a light near my WOZ because it couldn't light itself up enough to play properly.

#2002 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Black Knight is fine, there's a big difference between GI effects during a lightshow and that awful JJP GI that simply doesn't work. Had to keep a light near my WOZ because it couldn't light itself up enough to play properly.

There's also a big difference between just a ton of bright white lights and 100% RGB GI + inserts as on JJP games. WOZ is JJP's first game and came out over 8 years ago, things have improved heavily since then. The issue with lighting on WOZ is more so the lack of spotlights, the RGB GI effects are amazing. In a well lit room it's not a problem, playing in the dark yes but how many people do that? Overall the lighting effects that JJP takes the time code / implement are some of the best in pinball in my opinion.

Not all Stern's have great GI either. I had a chance to play a handful of the latest Stern's, as well as a GNR LE, on location last week. Led Zeppelin LE was lit great, very well done. However, games like Avengers LE and especially JP premium for some reason looked rather dim. The location itself had it's light's slightly down which I'm sure didn't help, but that also showed that these games regardless of the manufacture probably look best in well lit rooms.

#2003 2 years ago

It's just the Pro version that does this when its in a dark location. Should have clarified. Thanks.

#2004 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Don't you mean Black Knight : Sor? Goes from ultra bright to pitch black dark often during the game.

SOR still uses an ordinary white GI string. it makes the game playable even with the great light show. JJP (Spooky and AP now too) uses RGB leds which can make for some cool effects but do a poor job of lighting the playfield. Try streaming any game with RGB's for a GI and it becomes painful unless you add additional lighting.

#2005 2 years ago

Aerosmith is definitely Stern’s best-lit game. There are 12 GI sockets for the slings and lane guides alone. Wish more games were like this - if it’s too bright you can turn it down.

#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

playing in the dark yes but how many people do that? .

You'd be amazed.

#2007 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

absolutely this. This is the problem with WOZ, hobbit, wonka and POTC. GNR suffers the same fate.

Most people have dim lit, or completely dark gamerooms. Why? because of glare. Glare is horrible. There is a reason arcades were pitch black back in the day. nothing worse than having room lighting glaring off the glass of pinball machines or arcades. 96% of people have gamerooms that are very dark or black. Hence why GI's are so damn important.

#2008 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

absolutely this. This is the problem with WOZ, hobbit, wonka and POTC. GNR suffers the same fate.
Most people have dim lit, or completely dark gamerooms. Why? because of glare. Glare is horrible. There is a reason arcades were pitch black back in the day. nothing worse than having room lighting glaring off the glass of pinball machines or arcades. 96% of people have gamerooms that are very dark or black. Hence why GI's are so damn important.

WOZ I can understand due to the lack of spotlights but not the others. I have Hobbit and it's a very well lit game. Had Pirates and it was good as well. Played GNR LE on location and it was better lit then the JP premium next to it.

Not sure where the 96% of game rooms are dark figure came from. I haven't seen a group of people playing pinball in a poorly lit room of their home. Thankfully it's no longer back in the day and we have antiglare glass

#2009 2 years ago

hardly anyone around here buys anti glare glass. Which really doesn't work that well anyway. Doesn't eliminate backglass glare or display glare anyway.

We played GNR LE on location recently and it was a shitshow for lighting. Even in a well lit room, we couldn't see shit because the inserts were 3x's brighter than the GI's. and 90% of them were lit all the time.

Dialed in, seems to be better lit than other JJP games. Don't know why. But it's much better than others.

4 months later
#2010 2 years ago

This has been been an interesting discussion over the years but I think this thread has long since run it’s course.

It started out with a point in time observation that hasn’t stood the test of time, at least as far as JJP is concerned. Many of the underlying issues in the industry still exist, but Stern has improved to a degree while JJP all but destroyed any goodwill they once had by how they have handled their playfield fiasco.

If any mods see this, I’d like to close the thread and see new discussion in new/other threads.

#2011 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This has been been an interesting discussion over the years but I think this thread has long since run it’s course.
It started out with a point in time observation that hasn’t stood the test of time, at least as far as JJP is concerned. Many of the underlying issues in the industry still exist, but Stern has improved to a degree while JJP all but destroyed any goodwill they once had by how they have handled their playfield fiasco.
If any mods see this, I’d like to close the thread and see new discussion in new/other threads.

Just rename it ‘A bright day for stern’ to lift the mood

#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Just rename it ‘A bright day for stern’ to lift the mood

Lol!

#2013 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

...If any mods see this, I’d like to close the thread and see new discussion in new/other threads.

I've seen this several times on this board and I'm always disappointed by it. You may have started this thread, but you don't own it. If you are disappointed how this has gone, drain it. It's no big deal, but a lot of people are probably having conversations that have no need whatsoever for you, the OP. You're not their Mommy or Daddy. There's just something really weird about OPs trying to tell others to shut up when the thread goes off track.

To be honest, I haven't read more than 5% of the posts in this thread. I think it brings back memories of the neighborhood kid taking his ball home when a call doesn't go his way.

#2014 2 years ago

I've read zero of this thread, but why rez this thread 4 months after the last post just to say you don't want anymore posts in it? Bizarre.

#2015 2 years ago

It’s been a good read

#2016 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I've seen this several times on this board and I'm always disappointed by it. You may have started this thread, but you don't own it. If you are disappointed how this has gone, drain it. It's no big deal, but a lot of people are probably having conversations that have no need whatsoever for you, the OP. You're not their Mommy or Daddy. There's just something really weird about OPs trying to tell others to shut up when the thread goes off track.
To be honest, I haven't read more than 5% of the posts in this thread. I think it brings back memories of the neighborhood kid taking his ball home when a call doesn't go his way.

Where did I say I was disappointed in the thread or tell anyone to shut up? I think my last post was pretty clear. Things not going my way? Lol. There is no “my way” here. I don’t care if this thread stays open another four years.

If you think the thread is still relevant than contribute to the discussion.

- not Mommy or Daddy

#2017 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

...If you think the thread is still relevant than contribute to the discussion.
- not Mommy or Daddy

TLDR

#2018 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This thread is such a gem; it ran its course like 12 hours after it started. It was and is complete insanity.

#2019 2 years ago

Why not just reanimate the Is Stern Evil thread, also?

#2020 2 years ago

lol what a difference 4 years makes, the original post couldn’t be more wrong. Stern is single handedly supporting the insane demand for pinball and is created it’s best deepest games ever.

2 weeks later
#2021 2 years ago

It’s funny that the first post was complaining about BM66 now it’s selling for big money and my next pin. I’ve spoke to several Pinsiders looking for an allotment for the last BM66 run.

I’ve also bought JP and SW premium, Godzilla LE along with BM66 in the last 2 years.

#2022 2 years ago

It’s not funny at all. Things change. Some might even say that the perception on Stern and JJP has flipped from what I saw that night.

But my primary point hasn’t - buy a game for what it is today, not promises of what it may become tomorrow. Buyers of both games I mentioned are fortunate in that both have become big hits and are still in demand. And those buying now know exactly what they’re getting now that code is complete.

Unfortunately LE mania and FOMO still are prevalent with every new release so the manufacturers still have no incentive to change. And that’s no longer on them - it’s on us.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.