69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.
#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not long now.
I'm not saying ill never own another Stern. No doubt I will - they have made some of the best games of the "modern" era. But because we now have options from other suppliers, there's no rush to buy every Stern game as soon as its released. There's more than enough games being released at the moment that we can pick and choose and not just accept mediocrity because that's all that's available.

Great time for us all to enjoy pinball. I remember 1994 when pinball was slowing down and machines were not selling. If forced BW to make some of the greatest games ever and most of them did not sell well. Time will tell.

#1552 6 years ago

My Aerosmith reset again last night.

This time it was not during multiball...

Nope, all I did was hit the CIU to add time to a mode right when it ended & the end mode score animation was generating.

The game got confused & shut right the fuck down.

Thats at least 2 shut downs in apx 585 ish games. Maybe more, not sure if it's happened to unattended guests.

Figured I'd go play TWD instead but that thing can reset during Horde if stacked w/madness too so I went to my Golden Tee.

My TSPP, FGY & LOTR never reset. Only new Stern games.

#1553 6 years ago

I had my own "Dark Night for Stern" last Saturday.

I own quite a few of their pins, LOVE them to Death and they will never leave my house. But what I saw and played on Saturday will never get into my house. I had skipped on the last 3 Stern titles already due to their current poor build quality and seeing this broke my heart.

Dimples like I have never seen on a new title and of course, ghosting.
And it was obvious that all money went into buying the license, not the BOM.

20171118_231923 (resized).jpg20171118_231923 (resized).jpg

#1554 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I own quite a few of their pins, LOVE them to Death and they will never leave my house. But what I saw and played on Saturday will never get into my house. I had skipped on the last 3 Stern titles already due to their current poor build quality and seeing this broke my heart.

Cheap will catch up. Too many issues and too many alternatives these days. I know there is not an alternative for Stern’s pro model yet from a selling price standpoint. Really is that such a great value when hearing all of the issues and seeing pictures like the 1 above? Better off buying HUO games and saving a little more to buy from another company.

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I've never seen dimpling like that. I own an SWLE and the CC looks awesome (thought I have less than 100 plays on mine). The build quality on the LE is as good as any Stern I've purchased in the past 5 years.

I understand the knee jerk reaction regarding the BOM, however the hyperdrive and LCD are expensive PF "toys". The hyperdrive is amazing. I just had a great game and Tie Fighter MB is awesome. The images and original sound track are also incredible. Call outs are sparse, but I'm told that's going to improve.

If my PF ends up looking like your photo, it will suck.

snaroff

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Figured I'd go play TWD instead but that thing can reset during Horde if stacked w/madness

What is madness? I've owned two TWD's and never had a reset.

#1557 6 years ago

Not sure that's dimpling - that's simply destruction. So much for the comments that Stern's playfield quality issues are under control.

I was so concerned about potential playfield damage on my Batman 66 LE that I put a full playfield protector on it after only a few games. The downside is that I may never know if I got a good or bad playfield. But that should be something no home buyer should even have to consider doing.

#1558 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I've also never had Stern reset problems. If Spike machines are still using cheap power supplies OEM's in China, then maybe some power supplies are flaky? Who knows.

snaroff

#1559 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If my PF ends up looking like your photo, it will suck.
snaroff

You may ended up with a great quality pin and have nothing to worry about. Yours has no ghosting and no dimples? Well, neither does my GBPrem - whilst the GBLE here in town has terrible ghosting. It almost seems like there are two sources for playfields that Stern uses. One has great quality, the quality we all love and expect, and the other is cheap as crap.

#1560 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

You may ended up with a great quality pin and have nothing to worry about. Yours has no ghosting and no dimples? Well, neither does my GBPrem - whilst the GBLE here in town has terrible ghosting. It almost seems like there are two sources for playfields that Stern uses. One has great quality, the quality we all love and expect, and the other is cheap as crap.

Was the PF you posted from a "Pro"? Curious.

snaroff

#1561 6 years ago

Just an FYI, people seemed to think I was making it up that Stern weren't selling very well in some overseas markets.

Well, GotG is ~€570 cheaper for a Pro in Germany, than Aerosmith / SW. Over €700 cheaper at Premium / LE level than BM'66 / SW / Aerosmith.

There has been no major shift in exchange rate since SW / Aerosmith, and if anything the machine probably has slightly higher bill of materials. Contrast this with the continual slight price increases in the US.

Mark up is still huge in EU markets, but this is a major price cut, and would not have happened if Spike 2 machines were selling well.

FYI, the German market for Sterns is probably almost as big as the rest of Europe put together.

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Was the PF you posted from a "Pro"? Curious.
snaroff

Yes, a Pro, sorry should have stated that, hence my comment on "low BOM" as well - I bet the Prem/LE kicks much more ass

#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

That should buff right out.

#1564 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I didn't realize they used the melted vador mask from the new movie in the pro art

I assume that's on location? I'd say that stern should send them a new game but I'm guessing the next one would do the same thing. I recently got a SW premium from a show and it has a decent amount of dimples but nothing like that. Is it from the ball bouncing off the tiefighter?

#1565 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That should buff right out.

No, you just keep playing it and the whole playfield will eventually be a solid dimple and you will never know

#1566 6 years ago

That's insane!!!! I wonder what caused that?

Quoted from DerGoetz:I had my own "Dark Night for Stern" last Saturday.

#1567 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Is it from the ball bouncing off the tiefighter?

No, all of the playfield looked like that. Hard to get photos because of the glare, sorry. And yes, location game, they had it for around 2 weeks from what I was told.

20171118_230457 (resized).jpg20171118_230457 (resized).jpg

#1568 6 years ago

If that would be a Golf themed game I would call it a feature, on the other hand....

b1ced76e_blacknikeoneblack (resized).jpegb1ced76e_blacknikeoneblack (resized).jpeg

#1569 6 years ago

Some of those larger craters look like the clear is actually rupturing slightly at the edge, the indent is so deep, as some of the early BM'66 pfs were.

#1570 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

No, all of the playfield looked like that. Hard to get photos because of the glare, sorry. And yes, location game, they had it for around 2 weeks from what I was told.

Maybe someone accidently slipped in a balsa wood playfield by accident.

Mine was played none stop at a weekend show and then has been at my house for a week. It has some dimples but nothing that resembles that. That one has to have a playfield with crazy soft wood or a clear coat issue. It would be interesting to see what Vid, Neo, or Kruzman think happened.

#1571 6 years ago

Regarding nothing to compete with Stern Pro at least TNA is within $700 if a pro cost, and with topper, PF supports, upgraded side rails, full color LEDs.

I’m not saying the cost of PF supports $70, topper $xx and improved side rails $xxx would equal $700 but it’s conceivable if Spooky had stripped the game like Stern does with the pro that it could cost $5700 ish.

#1572 6 years ago

My TWD and GOT both looked really bad like that at first but believe it or not after nearly 2 thousand plays they are starting to look better. I have no idea if they will ever smooth out totally or not but it looks more of like a very fine orange peel right now instead of the craters that they used to have at first. It doesn't bother me as much as it did at first because it doesn't look nearly as bad now and appears to be heading in the right direction. Hopefully after about 25 thousand games it will be as smooth as glass.

#1573 6 years ago

Like somebody said earlier...Stern is now using balsa wood in their play fields....lowered their BOM significantly.....

#1574 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No, you just keep playing it and the whole playfield will eventually be a solid dimple and you will never know

That was always my favorite line of BS.

#1575 6 years ago

oh man, this thread makes me feel like a gawker at an accident - I can’t not look at the latest posts. Like any pinhead I’ve thought about buying an NIB Stern often, even ordered one once, but then backed out. Not being able to decide between pro and premium, no theme which really tickles my fancy, kind of light on toys and mechanical gadgets (at least the pro versions) have prevented it so far. But all these issues with playfields (in my view the pf is the crown jewel of a pin - how can you cut corners on that ?) and then these concerns about the long term viability of Spike...what’s a poor pinhead to do ?

#1576 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

how can you cut corners on that ?) and then these concerns about the long term viability of Spike...what’s a poor pinhead to do ?

If there is a corner which can be cut, Stern will find it.

#1577 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If there is a corner which can be cut, Stern will find it.

They must be cutting corners on a selective basis then?

My ASLE PF is as good as any I've owned. My GBLE PF dimples a whole lot more, hard to tell if its like that SW pic above because sometimes it can look better or worse with pics versus in person. Especially when you put the magnifying glass to it.

Since Gary said they could "put a box of blinking lights on SW and sell........" maybe they are using the older crap PF's for some of that SW run?

#1578 6 years ago

This can happen in older homes it happened to me till electric company put new line from poll to the house

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Since Gary said they could "put a box of blinking lights on SW and sell........" maybe they are using the older crap PF's for some of that SW run?

Maybe, but still disconcerting.

#1580 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

hard to tell if its like that SW pic above because sometimes it can look better or worse with pics versus in person. Especially when you put the magnifying glass to it

I walked up to it and almost fell over - in person it looked worse than what the photos indicate.
The photos were taken from the very perspective of the player - this is what you see.

And I counted 3 ghosted inserts.

#1581 6 years ago

Where are all the dimpling is normal and that will smooth right out over time? That playfield should be replaced. No one would call that normal that actually owned a pin that look like that. I wonder what will happen long term I think it will completely break down.

#1582 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I walked up to it and almost fell over - in person it looked worse than what the photos indicate.
The photos were taken from the very perspective of the player - this is what you see.
And I counted 3 ghosted inserts.

I wonder if Stern would replace that playfield? I've only got anecdotal evidence as well, but the two SW Pros on route near me look nowhere near that bad after 5 months of play. Still plenty of noticeable dimpling, but nowhere near that bad. My SW Premium at home has far less dimpling, but also far less plays so probably not a good comparison to route machines.

#1583 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Just an FYI, people seemed to think I was making it up that Stern weren't selling very well in some overseas markets.
Well, GotG is ~€570 cheaper for a Pro in Germany, than Aerosmith / SW. Over €700 cheaper at Premium / LE level than BM'66 / SW / Aerosmith.

Sounds like a positive development for the European market (and for Stern). From what you posted earlier about Stern's European pricing, it sounds like they were way out of step with JJP and CGC.

#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've never seen dimpling like that. I own an SWLE and the CC looks awesome (thought I have less than 100 plays on mine). The build quality on the LE is as good as any Stern I've purchased in the past 5 years.

This is the "cratering" I've been talking about. This is not normal dimpling that will smooth out. A playfield that looks like this will always look like this. From what I've heard, Stern is using different playfield suppliers....so, you got lucky and got a good one on your SWLE. It's a crapshoot when you buy NIB if you're gonna get a crater playfield or a normal one. I've seen lots of SW's on location - some are smooth and nice, some are lumpy. They're not equal, and don't let the "it'll smooth out crowd" tell you it's no big deal.

#1585 6 years ago

That destroy the Death Star picture hurts to look at.

IMG_3481 (resized).JPGIMG_3481 (resized).JPG

#1586 6 years ago

I played a SW pro on route over the weekend, and took a good look at the playfield. There were no craters to speak of, but there was no gloss at all either. It was dirty, but I wouldn’t expect the colors to look so “flat”, ever. Has anyone seen any recent Sterns do this?

Artwork is very uninspired. Too bad.

Game played OK - it’s fast alright - but I’d need way more time on it to determine what I think. I didn’t have that “one more play” feeling, like I do when playing most new machines. And like I do with AS for exampl.

I dig AS, but man that thing feels rinky dink when you nudge it. As someone joked, I’d almost be tempted to put weights in the bottom to give it a more solid feel.

#1587 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It was dirty, but I wouldn’t expect the colors to look so “flat”, ever. Has anyone seen any recent Sterns do this?

I have noticed this on my SW Pro as well...like a thin layer of 'dullness' for lack of a better term. Strange as my GOT & GB were both shiny

#1588 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I have noticed this on my SW Pro as well...like a thin layer of 'dullness' for lack of a better term. Strange as my GOT & GB were both shiny

Yeah, the one I saw was just odd. Like someone printed the art from their home printer and pasted it on the playfield. Most Sterns have nice, glossy playfields.

Will yours shine up with a little Novus and wax?

#1589 6 years ago

Darth needs some Clearasil

Screenshot_2017-11-21-10-33-21 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-11-21-10-33-21 (resized).png

#1590 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Will yours shine up with a little Novus and wax?

I waxed it fresh out of the box, and waxed it again later.
Probably used Novus 1 but not 2.

#1591 6 years ago

I've seen two different TWD's reset within 24 hours

25+ miles apart

The next day I spoke w/the operator (a fella who visits here) & the dude said Stern is aware of the issue.

I'm glad you & others have yet to experience a modern Stern reset

So count your blessings... There's a reason you read about Stern power resets on Pinside. Because they happen.

#1592 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

So much for all the people who clam dimples will blend in over time. There is no way to ever make that blend. More garbage wood from Stern.

#1593 6 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

So much for all the people who clam dimples will blend in over time. There is no way to ever make that blend. More garbage wood from Stern.

First of all that camera is magnifying those dimples and making them look a little worse than what they actually are, and that playfield will in fact look better the more it is played. I know this because my TWD and GOT both looked really bad like that and now they have around 1700 plays on them and they look pretty damn good. I don’t know if they will ever smooth out totally or not but I have a feeling that they might eventually down the road. Even if they don’t it’s not a big deal because my playfields look gorgeous right now the way that they are. When the playfields are new they look really bad for awhile I will admit but they absolutely start looking better with a bunch of plays on them.

#1594 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

First of all that camera is magnifying those dimples and making them look a little worse than what they actually are, and that playfield will in fact look better the more it is played. I know this because my TWD and GOT both looked really bad like that and now they have around 1700 plays on them and they look pretty damn good. I don’t know if they will ever smooth out totally or not but I have a feeling that they might. Even if they don’t it’s not a big deal because my playfields look gorgeous right now the way that they are. When the playfields are new they look really bad for awhile I will admit but they absolutely start looking better with a bunch of plays on them.

I agree. I have never had a ball deviate from divots, but have had them deviate with Mylar I have placed to protect certain areas of the playfield. Divots are so over rated. Get over it!

#1595 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I agree. I have never had a ball deviate from divots, but have had them deviate with Mylar I have placed to protect certain areas of the playfield. Divots are so over rated. Get over it!

That camera makes it look worse than it really is, and I’m sure he worked hard at getting that perfect angle in the perfect light and just the right magnification etc. nice job though buddy!

#1596 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That camera makes it look worse than it really is, and I’m sure he worked hard at getting that perfect angle in the perfect light and just the right magnification etc. nice job though buddy!

Not true everytime I took a pic of the dimples all over the playfield the cam never picks up the true amount. Point is that wood on the specific game is garbage and cutting costs.

#1597 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Darth Vader's face in the picture above would look terrible no matter the angle or light. Most peoples games are not looking like that at all. This guy just got a bad playfield, it's just that simple. I would not be satisfied with that level of quality if I had a game do that in 2 weeks and I would ask for a replacement.

#1598 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Darth Vader's face in the picture above would look terrible no matter the angle or light. Most peoples games are not looking like that at all. This guy just got a bad playfield, it's just that simple. I would not be satisfied with that level of quality if I had a game do that in 2 weeks and I would ask for a replacement.

Possibly true but I can tell you from experience that my TWD and GOT both looked really bad and they look 100% better now after 1600-1700 plays on them. Not sure if they were that bad or not but they had some massive crater like dimples in them. I do believe the camera makes it look a little worse because he is zoomed in big time when he took that picture.

#1599 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I do believe the camera makes it look a little worse because he is zoomed in big time when he took that picture.

I believe the guy said that in person it was worse than on the pictures.

#1600 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I believe the guy said that in person it was worse than on the pictures.

He can say whatever he wants, doesn't make it true. Just believe whatever you want to believe I guess. My belief is the camera makes it look worse that what it really is and I also believe that it will get better the more that it's played. I believe that because I have personally experiencd what he is looking at with 2 of my games and they look good now. I'm not saying that is normal or ok or anything like that, just telling you what my experience was.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,495 (Firm)
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.