69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 41.
#1501 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Are you routing them? Or do you just like collecting the ones you like the most? I have a friend who has a few repeats also.

No, I just collect them for home use.

I purchase based on looks/style as much as gameplay. I own an RSLE only because I think it's a pretty game. The game play doesn't do much for me.

#1502 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

My impression of Who-Dey after 2600+ posts....
Fanboy in self-denial, generally antagonistic attitude, and of all things....a Bengals fan
Three strikes you're out!

Nope, you're totally wrong. I have made several posts calling out stern on their quality and how they have treated certain customers. My attitude is positive for the most part but when people make stupid claims without facts I will call them out on it. As far as football goes, yeah I'm a bengals fan but because of the protesting this year I haven't watched any football, maybe one hour at the most.

#1503 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

My impression of Who-Dey after 2600+ posts....
Fanboy in self-denial, generally antagonistic attitude, and of all things....a Bengals fan
Three strikes you're out!

My impression of Who-Dey is that he loves this hobby and everything pinball from every manufacturer. He is vocal about it because he is smart enough to realise that we all need every pinball manufacturer to survive for this hobby to flourish. Yep! I totally agree. Three strikes and you are ignored!

#1504 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nope, you're totally wrong. I have made several posts calling out stern on their quality and how they have treated certain customers. My attitude is positive for the most part buy when people make stupid claims without facts I will call then out on it.

Well right now if you say anything positive about a Stern game or call someone on their bullshit regarding Stern quality or code etc. then you are a fanboy, there is only one kind of fanboy on this site and thats a JJP fanboy. That company in their eyes can do no wrong and when they do its excused or you get the "call so and so he'll fix ya up" crap. Its highly entertaining to read those threads and then see the same guys out for blood in a Stern thread, "build quality"

#1505 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Nothing...I was responding to his comment about the JJP cabinets....Their heavier because they are built at a much higher standard...All my Sterns are featherweights compared to my Sterns....does that make a better game...clearly No, but there is zero comparison if your discussing quality. There is no doubt Stern games are built much cheaper...anyone who owns both knows....

Once again, weight does not equal higher standard. To you weight relates in your head to higher standard. Heavier wood does not always equal more durable wood. A wood head is also not nearly as durable as a metal head. It sure weighs more though. A wood speaker panel weighs more then a metal one, once again, not more durable though. A metal or wood apron weighs more then a crappy plastic one, those are more durable, got to give you that one. I've owned every JJP game, you are just perceiving something that isn't always real. JJP makes nice games, but heavier does not = higher standard.

#1506 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

No, I just collect them for home use.
I purchase based on looks/style as much as gameplay. I own an RSLE only because I think it's a pretty game. The game play doesn't do much for me.

That's cool, just wondered. I own a RZ also and I'm one of the few fools that actually really likes the gameplay.

#1507 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

My impression of Who-Dey is that he loves this hobby and everything pinball from every manufacturer. He is vocal about it because he is smart enough to realise that we all need every pinball manufacturer to survive for this hobby to flourish. Yep! I totally agree. Three strikes and you are ignored!

Thank you....good grief! I don't know why liking Sterns games makes me a fanboy. I think Stern makes awesome games that look great and are fun. I don't like the problems that Stern has been having, mainly with the playfields. .....those I believe we're real and concerning problems. I think the cabinet issues were somewhat overblown and I think people complaining about the spike system is somewhat overblown as well. It just seems like hating on Stern is the cool thing to do for some people.

I like JJP games but they are just more than I am willing to pay. I'd be interested in POTC I'd it wasn't for the price tag. There's another company that I won't mention that I don't like their games but if they ever made one I liked I would consider it maybe. People can think what they want though about me and I could care less. I've made some good friends here and that's good enough for me. If someone doesn't like me because I say good things about Stern who cares? I know I don't that's for sure.

#1508 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What exactly does weight have to do with being a higher standard?

The wood is more dense, which translate to hardness.

#1509 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thank you....good grief! I don't know why liking Sterns games makes me a fanboy. I think Stern makes awesome games that look great and are fun. I don't like the problems that Stern has been having, mainly with the playfields. .....those I believe we're real and concerning problems. I think the cabinet issues were somewhat overblown and I think people complaining about the spike system is somewhat overblown as well. It just seems like hating on Stern is the cool thing to do for some people.
I like JJP games but they are just more than I am willing to pay. I'd be interested in POTC I'd it wasn't for the price tag. There's another company that I won't mention that I don't like their games but if they ever made one I liked I would consider it maybe. People can think what they want though about me and I could care less. I've made some good friends here and that's good enough for me. If someone doesn't like me because I say good things about Stern who cares? I know I don't that's for sure.

All good! This is a fantastic hobby and there are many great people on Pinside from all around the world. I too have made friends from this site and love it. My wife, positivity and dealing with fact makes me a very happy man. We have never had an unresolved issue with any manufacturer or retailer in Pinball. All issues big and small have always been resolved. The hobby is filled with people just like us. The hobby is to be enjoyed.

Happy Flipping I say!

#1510 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Heavier wood does not always equal more durable wood.

Really? Ever worked with wood flooring?

#1511 6 years ago

Three strikes and you are ignored!

Nah I don't use the ignore feature. It's good to hear different opinions & consider alternate viewpoints in the threads, instead of putting up a defensive wall & living in a bubble. Too much of that stuff in general today. I enjoy reading the banter, even if I don't agree with some people.

But if Who-Dey starts proclaiming Vontaze Burfict is an angel straight from heaven & the cleanest player in the NFL.... that's a bridge too far for me. haha

#1512 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Nah I don't use the ignore feature. It's good to hear different opinions & consider alternate viewpoints in the threads, instead of putting up a wall & living in a bubble. Too much of that stuff in general today. I enjoy reading the banter, even if I don't agree with some people.
But if Who-Dey starts proclaiming Vontaze Burfict is an angel straight from heaven & the cleanest player in the NFL.... that's a bridge too far for me. haha

I do agree with you and I read most things. You comments did make me laugh. I love Pinside. Sometimes the negativity gets to me and most of the negativity is unfounded. I am not sure how many thousand Pinsiders there are, I have ignored 4 pinsiders and that has changed my whole experience on this site.

Keep smiling!

#1513 6 years ago

I don’t really know what to make of Spike and the node boards. I think a lot of people on here might be similar to me and fear not knowing how to fix a game when it goes down, especially when not knowing a good local tech. There’s also the worry of getting fleeced buying parts to fix a problem when you don’t really know what caused the problem. For me, I’m mostly nervous of having to troubleshoot problems of a system I know nothing about. I’m not super technical, but thanks to folks on Pinside and various historical threads on problems, I’ve been able to keep a couple of old Segas and two Williams going throughout the years. Fortunately, I’ve never had a single problem with any of my Sterns, other than flipper rebuilds.

So, I think uncertainty of the new system is part of the problem. That, and for some people like me, possibly nullifying what little maintenance skills I have.

Another concern for me is all the different systems now that other companies are making pins. Not only am I possibly back to noob repair status on new Sterns, but what about my MMR and TBL. I’ve never even looked close under the hood of those. Other owners might have the same worries about JJP and Spooky games as well. So, I think the worry might be bigger than Spike’s reliability and more about being a little overwhelmed technically. It is for me anyway.

#1514 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Nah I don't use the ignore feature. It's good to hear different opinions & consider alternate viewpoints in the threads, instead of putting up a defensive wall & living in a bubble. Too much of that stuff in general today. I enjoy reading the banter, even if I don't agree with some people.

Burfict is not quite as dirty as people make him out to be. He's a hard ass player that plays football the way it should be played like they use to play in the old days. He will hit you so hard your grandkids will feel it, I like that. As I said though, football is kind of dead to me unfortunately but I'm doing ok without it. I have more time for other things now and haven't looked back.

#1515 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm not sure what to tell you then. I can hear it and everyone I know that owns a SAM and a Spike game in a home environment can hear it. If you don't want to believe that it's your choice I guess. I enjoy my 2 spike games, I enjoy my SAM games, I enjoy my Spooky games, I enjoyed the whitestar games I owned in the past, I enjoyed the JJP games I have owned in the past, I enjoy my 90's B/W games, and I enjoy my B/W 1980 classic games. Nothing in Spike has prevented me from enjoying them as much as anything else that I have owned.
Maybe I need to take this hobby a lot more serious though and get angry at it, start stressing about resale values, start worrying about pinball in 15 years

I would take a proven reliable system that is more easily serviceable over an improved sound any day. Bittom line is that spike is notably unreliable and near on impossible to repair. Its a pay and replace system. Good idea Stern i say

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

The wood is more dense, which translate to hardness.

Quoted from Bendit:

Really? Ever worked with wood flooring?

Your assuming that the plywood used is the exact same thickness. For all I know JJP could be using thicker plywood that is less, equal, or more dense then stern. In the end it doesn't matter though. Forklift spears go through both like butter. Nicks and chips happen on both just the same if dropped or scraped up against. Both have decals that tear crazy easy unless you order radcals. So what is it exactly that a heavier cabinet gets us?

#1517 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I would take a proven reliable system that is more easily serviceable over an improved sound any day. Bittom line is that spike is notably unreliable and near on impossible to repair. Its a pay and replace system. Good idea Stern i say

Spike is "noticeably unreliable"? That hasn't been my experience at all actually. My experience is somewhat limited though I will admit. I would have to lean more toward it being pretty reliable though. Where are you seeing all of these failures at?

#1518 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I definitely do not agree with "spike is unreliable". That is just some bull shit right there. I do agree that Spike is nearly impossible to repair. What other choice do any of us have? Every manufacturer is going down this route. Reliability is the driver. I happen to really like spike. It stops all the dodgy repairs to circuit boards.

#1519 6 years ago

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I definitely do not agree with "spike is unreliable". That is just some bull shit right there. I do agree that Spike is nearly impossible to repair. What other choice do any of us have? Every manufacturer is going down this route. Reliability is the driver.

yes everyone does have an opinion and different experiences. In my experience with friends who operate machines and my own personal collection I have had notably greater problems. Quote me again if you like. I have had next to zero problems with sam in quite some years and when I have its easily fixed. with spike ive had numerous game resets, replacement main boards, node 1 boards replaced. we are talking new games here. All are unfixable and its chuck out and replace.

This discussion about spike reliability hasn't just popped up because we want to have a whine at Stern. Spike failures are genuine issues that are much more widespread than sam games... hence the discussion. So yeah i stand by my comment 100%. My own personal opinion but if you havent had issues with spike you are very lucky. many just dont wanto accept that this new system is a step backwards for owners not forwards. Just my opinion and experience.

#1520 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

That's cool, just wondered. I own a RZ also and I'm one of the few fools that actually really likes the gameplay.

Not a fool, just different strokes.

#1521 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

yes everyone does have an opinion and different experiences. In my experience with friends who operate machines and my own personal collection I have had notably greater problems. Quote me again if you like. I have had next to zero problems with sam in quite some years and when I have its easily fixed. with spike ive had numerous game resets, replacement main boards, node 1 boards replaced. we are talking new games here. All are unfixable and its chuck out and replace.
This discussion about spike reliability hasn't just popped up because we want to have a whine at Stern. Spike failures are genuine issues that are much more widespread than sam games... hence the discussion. So yeah i stand by my comment 100%. My own personal opinion but if you havent had issues with spike you are very lucky. many just dont wanto accept that this new system is a step backwards for owners not forwards. Just my opinion and experience.

I sincerely hope that Stern has helped you resolve all your issues at no cost if you purchased the machines NIB. We have never had any Spike or Sam issue with NIB Stern that we have bought. Used ones are a whole different story. People want to fit lights, bill acceptors from different machines, toys, mods with electrical clips, do no maintenance, etc etc. All the issues we have had with SAM or Spike are directly related to this in one way or another. For us, Spike is a step forward.

Time will tell. My only concern is that there are no test fixtures available for any Spike components. There is a business opportunity right there!

#1522 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well right now if you say anything positive about a Stern game or call someone on their bullshit regarding Stern quality or code etc. then you are a fanboy, there is only one kind of fanboy on this site and thats a JJP fanboy. That company in their eyes can do no wrong and when they do its excused or you get the "call so and so he'll fix ya up" crap. Its highly entertaining to read those threads and then see the same guys out for blood in a Stern thread, "build quality"

The Circle of Life Hazoff. Give it time. More volume of pins, more issues and JJP will develop its share of hate with this crowd.

And i'm getting a POTC, i just don't give a shit what anybody else thinks or says.

It's funny how quickly the hate has turned into a lovefest with GOTG. Of course the hater brigade, which might be a little less in ranks this time, will eventually rear its ugly head.

I'd rather be a "fanboy" like Who Dey all day long, he's passionate about pinball and loves to talk about it. So what. It's better than the Debbie Downer DB crowd non stop. MUCH better.

#1523 6 years ago

It would be interesting to get a modding suppliers point of view on spike.

In some correspondence between some of the more well known mod providers they have expressed to me how difficult it is to work with spike and how temperamental or fragile the system can be.

#1524 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

It probably is a step backwards in certain aspects but it's also a step forward in others. The point people are trying to make though, is it as big of a disaster as what some people are making it out to be? I believe the old system is easier to fix and is alot cheaper to fix but if 5 or 10 years down the road if I gotta spend a little money on a new board I'm not going to be too upset about it.

#1525 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The Circle of Life Hazoff. Give it time. More volume of pins, more issues and JJP will develop its share of hate with this crowd.
And i'm getting a POTC, i just don't give a shit what anybody else thinks or says.
It's funny how quickly the hate has turned into a lovefest with GOTG. Of course the hater brigade, which might be a little less in ranks this time, will eventually rear its ugly head.
I'd rather be a "fanboy" like Who Dey all day long, he's passionate about pinball and loves to talk about it. So what. It's better than the Debbie Downer DB crowd non stop. MUCH better.

Well said!

#1526 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Not a fool, just different strokes.

If your not against some extra light get you a pinstadium kit for it. Really helps to show off that awesome playfield.

#1527 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If your not against some extra light get you a pinstadium kit for it. Really helps to show off that awesome playfield.

Appreciate the tip.

#1528 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

In some correspondence between some of the more well known mod providers they have expressed to me how difficult it is to work with spike and how temperamental or fragile the system can be.

Now you know why some Spike games have reset issues. The system is definitely tempremental for modders and they do not like it. Adding any mods that draw current could trip a reset. Leave the mods off and system is generally fine. The whole system is designed to detect the smallest change in voltage or current and shut down or reset.

#1529 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

More volume of pins, more issues and JJP will develop its share of hate with this crowd.

Both companies build products I love (most recently, DILE & SWLE).

One point that's hard to dispute is Stern builds their products with a calculator and JJP doesn't. Stern fans argue that's why they are the 10,000lb. gorilla in the pinball industry. Maybe, but it still doesn't feel great when you are a loyal customer.

Not much difference in price between DILE/SWLE, however DILE is a feast for the senses (and SWLE, not so much). Don't get me wrong, both are a lot of fun. I just think that Stern/Spike are more focused on margins and less about giving us the most for our buck.

snaroff

#1530 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree its always better to be happy about everything and get excited. we wouldnt be in this hobby if we werent. However keeping it real and keeping a level head about games, issues, qc etc its important to talk about and discuss. I have spike games but i dont necessarly like the system. Doesnt mean im a hater. I wold just prefer Stern create a more user friendly system.

People who are quite vocal to the point of being pushy with their opinions always use that line "passion for pinball" as an excuse. Being passionate to me means using your ears as much as your mouth. That clown Kaneda who weaseled his way onto our forums over here (before he was given restricted access by the mods) always uses that as an excuse for the obnoxious garbage that he spews out. Bit over hearing that as an excuse for narrow mindedness and labeling others as haters.

#1531 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

So what is it exactly that a heavier cabinet gets us?

Good point. As long as the corner joints are strong, who cares about the plywood quality. Unless it delaminates with age? (you see this with machines that are 20+ years old)

#1532 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Honestly I think stern might have intentionally made it harder to mod. A little strange that they rolled out mods and now have approved mod makers when spike rolled out.

#1533 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Being passionate to me means using your ears as much as your mouth

Excellent point. Who Dey is a good dude. Have had many positive PM discussions about games.

Quoted from snaroff:

Both companies build products I love (most recently, DILE & SWLE).
One point that's hard to dispute is Stern builds their products with a calculator and JJP doesn't.

No doubt. Good to see Cali hasn't changed you Snaroff!

I'd say that both build games with the calculator. The fixed overhead with Stern is huge, if they don't factor in costs they go out of business fast.

You can't really compare a SWLE (or any Stern LE) and a DILE or POTCLE. Compare the JJP LE to the Stern premium, $9500 plus shipping versus $7200 shipped premium. A JJP LE is really "limited" either.

I agree, the Stern LE model is BROKEN

#1534 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've owned every JJP game, you are just perceiving something that isn't always real. JJP makes nice games, but heavier does not = higher standard.

Really is true. I have a beautiful direct print Woz cab. The weight of the cab is meaningless! It just makes it a bit more difficult to move around

And people can say what they want, the PF's are just another slab of wood. Aside from the GB debacle, my Stern PF's are fantastic.

I'm happy with my Woz and looking forward to getting a POTC, in my mind, the differences are minor though, its just pinball. Just my opinion though.

#1535 6 years ago

Every single one of my 3 Spike games has experienced random "unexplained" resets at some point. No mods.

I have categorically never had a Sam game reset.

Just facts.

#1536 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Really is true. I have a beautiful direct print Woz cab. The weight of the cab is meaningless! It just makes it a bit more difficult to move around
And people can say what they want, the PF's are just another slab of wood. Aside from the GB debacle, my Stern PF's are fantastic.
I'm happy with my Woz and looking forward to getting a POTC, in my mind, the differences are minor though, its just pinball. Just my opinion though.

Just put some weights in the bottom of the cabinet and say......man this game is built like a tank! Only person that will know is you because you have the keys to the coin door!

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Honestly I think stern might have intentionally made it harder to mod. A little strange that they rolled out mods and now have approved mod makers when spike rolled out.

I do not think it was done intentionally. Modern electronics need to shut down or reset otherwise as Sparky (met) says "fry motherfucker!"

#1538 6 years ago

Q: How do you double the weight of a Stern pin?

A: Leave the keys in the coin door.

#1539 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Excellent point. Who Dey is a good dude. Have had many positive PM discussions about games.

No doubt. Good to see Cali hasn't changed you Snaroff!
I'd say that both build games with the calculator. The fixed overhead with Stern is huge, if they don't factor in costs they go out of business fast.
You can't really compare a SWLE (or any Stern LE) and a DILE or POTCLE. Compare the JJP LE to the Stern premium, $9500 plus shipping versus $7200 shipped premium. A JJP LE is really "limited" either.
I agree, the Stern LE model is BROKEN

Agreed. I've been more of a Premium guy...never "got" the Stern LE model. The only reason I have SWLE is I picked it up from a local collector for very close to the price of a Premium.

The AFMr LE model is very collector friendly...motivated me pulling the trigger on one a few days ago. The topper is sick and worth the price of admission.

I still need to push back on equating JJP and Stern in terms of both building game with a calculator. Everything is relative, and Stern is clearly more aggressive when it comes to BOM costs. Sure, they have more overhead, but they also have more buying power with their suppliers! JJP is clearly giving people much more for their money. The trick for both is providing a game that's fun. Despite SWLE's starkness, it's still a blast to play (and will likely get better as they approach v1.0 code).

snaroff

#1540 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Q: How do you double the weight of a Stern pin?
A: Leave the keys in the coin door.

Don't do that, you risk bowing the cabinet. That's why all rout guys are switching to cc swipes. The coin boxes were just falling through the bottom of the cabinets.

#1541 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Agreed. I've been more of a Premium guy...never "got" the Stern LE model.

It made sense in the ACDC/Met days when the LE was "only" $800 more than the Premium. That seemed fair for what you got...unique art package, unique powdered armor, mirrored backglass, "collectibility" (even if fake)

Now they charge more and give you less...doesn't make sense now when the Premiums are more than the LEs used to be.

#1542 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Agreed. I've been more of a Premium guy...never "got" the Stern LE model. The only reason I have SWLE is I picked it up from a local collector for very close to the price of a Premium.
The AFMr LE model is very collector friendly...motivated me pulling the trigger on one a few days ago. The topper is sick and worth the price of admission.
I still need to push back on equating JJP and Stern in terms of both building game with a calculator. Everything is relative, and Stern is clearly more aggressive when it comes to BOM costs. Sure, they have more overhead, but they also have more buying power with their suppliers! JJP is clearly giving people much more for their money. The trick for both is providing a game that's fun. Despite SWLE's starkness, it's still a blast to play (and will likely get better as they approach v1.0 code).
snaroff

I’ve got AFMRLE coming next week too!

Agree about that topper.

I’m anxious to see what I get for my POTCCE, been awhile since Woz for me

#1543 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Every single one of my 3 Spike games has experienced random "unexplained" resets at some point. No mods.
I have categorically never had a Sam game reset.
Just facts.

Once is chance, twice is co incidence, three times is a pattern.
Just facts.

Biggest issue with Spike is that people do not understand how it works and what they can do to resolve issues. Time, honesty and patience will resolve most issues. Spike is here to stay. Stern has awesome support that is there for everyone. The only way to change it is to vote with your wallet.
More facts

#1544 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’ve got AFMRLE coming next week too!
Agree about that topper.
I’m anxious to see what I get for my POTCCE, been awhile since Woz for me

Awesome news iceman. Post some pics and share the joy! We cannot wait to get ours.

Happy Flipping!

#1545 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I agree its always better to be happy about everything and get excited. we wouldnt be in this hobby if we werent. However keeping it real and keeping a level head about games, issues, qc etc its important to talk about and discuss. I have spike games but i dont necessarly like the system. Doesnt mean im a hater. I wold just prefer Stern create a more user friendly system.
People who are quite vocal to the point of being pushy with their opinions always use that line "passion for pinball" as an excuse. Being passionate to me means using your ears as much as your mouth. That clown Kaneda who weaseled his way onto our forums over here (before he was given restricted access by the mods) always uses that as an excuse for the obnoxious garbage that he spews out. Bit over hearing that as an excuse for narrow mindedness and labeling others as haters.

One mans trash is another mans treasure mate! Passion for pinball is all about the silver ball. Name calling does nothing to help our much loved hobby. Everybody is different and all of us on this site love pinball. Is the glass half full, half empty or full of shit? Everyone's opinion is different on the same thing.

Happy flipping I say!

#1546 6 years ago

The only way to change it is to vote with your wallet.
More facts

Which I'm doing...fact. My last 3 NIB games are not Stern.

Though nothing to do with Spike. The reset issues are annoying but nothing more. They'll sort it out eventually.

My last 3 games have been non Stern because I'm sick of the code waiting game and other games are just better games than what Stern have been producing.

Competition is great for customers and great for pinball as a whole.

#1547 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Though nothing to do with Spike. The reset issues are annoying but nothing more. They'll sort it out eventually.
My last 3 games have been non Stern because I'm sick of the code waiting game and other games are just better games than what Stern have been producing.

Could it be the power surges or inconsistency that's causing the resets?

It's weird because I literally have never had a game reset one time on any of my pins, Stern or otherwise. I'm sure its due to Spike being more finicky and sensitive to such things? Whatever it is, like JJP originally with those boards they'll sort it out.

I think GOTG looks fantastic all the way around and I passed on SW thinking I'd go with GOTG.

I ended up sticking with AFMRLE, get it Wednesday, and POTC next yr.

I'll sit on the sidelines and wait and see how this one turns out code wise. The other thing is its hard to enjoy too many pins! I'll be playing BM66 for the foreseeable future based on how its shaping up with the code. Lyman is great!

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Could it be the power surges or inconsistency that's causing the resets?
It's weird because I literally have never had a game reset one time on any of my pins, Stern or otherwise. I'm sure its due to Spike being more finicky and sensitive to such things? Whatever it is, like JJP originally with those boards they'll sort it out.
I think GOTG looks fantastic all the way around and I passed on SW thinking I'd go with GOTG.
I ended up sticking with AFMRLE, get it Wednesday, and POTC next yr.
I'll sit on the sidelines and wait and see how this one turns out code wise. The other thing is its hard to enjoy too many pins! I'll be playing BM66 for the foreseeable future based on how its shaping up with the code. Lyman is great!

You have to be a really good player and blow the game up in order to experience a reset iceman.

#1549 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Good on you. I totally agree with you. We normally have 90's B/Ws and late model Sterns. CGC for us is an awesome alternative and we cannot wait to get our AFMr. Of late, Sterns have taken over our house as my wife just loves them.

I think this is a fantastic time to be in this hobby!

#1550 6 years ago

we cannot wait to get our AFMr

Not long now.

I'm not saying ill never own another Stern. No doubt I will - they have made some of the best games of the "modern" era. But because we now have options from other suppliers, there's no rush to buy every Stern game as soon as its released. There's more than enough games being released at the moment that we can pick and choose and not just accept mediocrity because that's all that's available.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods
Plastics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon Hills, IL
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/31?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.