69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 41.
#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well if what makes you macho around here is feeling that Mario Odyssey is for children then this place is far more frightening that I had previously thought. I've tried to get into the last couple nintendo consoles but it never works out, just not feeling those games anymore, playing Fall Out 4 on my PC its great and looking forward to God Of War on the PS4 this coming year, if you like to play Mario then all the power to ya, does it mean ur not as Macho as me, you bet ur ass it does.

Fallout 4 is an awesome awesome game! One of the best games ever!

#1152 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

To Stern's credit, today's announcement of Batman 66 version 0.80 code on Facebook indicated they are planning additional code drops around Thanksgiving and Christmas. To my recollection, this is the first time they have "officially" committed to timelines (other than "soon") for code.

Not completely true we know George loves to commit to timeslines

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Fallout 4 is an awesome awesome game! One of the best games ever!

I've always loved the Fall out games but this one is ridiculous. Damn Who-Dey we are so Macho, my machismo flows all over the place, how are you managing ur machismo these days? its not easy that's for sure, especially on this oh so manly website, any help is appreciated.

#1154 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I've always loved the Fall out games but this one is ridiculous. Damn Who-Dey we are so Macho, my machismo flows all over the place, how are you managing ur machismo these days? its not easy that's for sure, especially on the oh so manly website, any help is appreciated.

I figured you guys for Vegan, tree hugging snowflakes? No?

10 min left on my BM66 download......

#1155 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm no Vegan but I love to hug trees while wearing my snowflake style underpants, what could be more macho than that?

#1156 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well if what makes you macho around here is feeling that Mario Odyssey is for children then this place is far more frightening that I had previously thought. I've tried to get into the last couple nintendo consoles but it never works out, just not feeling those games anymore, playing Fall Out 4 on my PC its great and looking forward to God Of War on the PS4 this coming year, if you like to play Mario then all the power to ya, does it mean ur not as Macho as me, you bet ur ass it does.

If you can beat the last few hidden bonus stages on MO... THEN you're "macho"

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

this thread is such a joke

A priest, a rabbi, and this thread walk into a bar....

#1158 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

A priest, a rabbi, and this thread walk into a bar....

Bartender looks up and says "Hey, is this some kind of joke"?

#1159 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Shhh.......don’t let the cat out of the bag iceman!

#1160 6 years ago

I’m so glad all the folks here can protect me from the horrors of Pinball purchasing.

8B6F4A4C-C8AB-4058-96C9-81C7DEDA34DD (resized).jpeg8B6F4A4C-C8AB-4058-96C9-81C7DEDA34DD (resized).jpeg

#1161 6 years ago

GoT and GB amongst the best games ever and Mario games are only for children? This thread has definitely run its course.

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This is what you said. The clear inference is that if JJP produced as many pins as Stern the quality would be comparable.
If that's not what you intended to imply, a clarification would be welcome.
What I said -
"Producing more pins is no excuse for poor attention to detail and skimping on quality. More isn't always better."
- applies regardless.

Thats not what I was implying at all, while there's no excuse for shitty quality regardless of the numbers the comparison between the 2 companies is kind of stupid, when and if JJP is producing 3 games a year ( I hope they do one day by the way) who knows what that level of production will result in with regards to build quality and all that crap, I hope it doesn't affect it all and they make solid games, get them out there quickly with very few issues, I just wish we could appreciate both companies instead of the constant comparing of two very different manufacturers. Please don't give me speculations as to how JJP would be making 3 games a year because as of now no one knows and nor should they care.

#1163 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

GoT and GB amongst the best games ever and Mario games are only for children?

Yes and maybe and no.

#1164 6 years ago

This is a very interesting topic. Aside from CrazyLevi there is a lot of interesting points being made. I was not at expo but watched the stream, the JJP reveal great! It seemed to me stern was very much in the shadow the entire time.

I'm still fairly new to pinball only getting my first machine 7 months ago, which In fact was a NIB Met Pro. I loved the game but didn't know true quality until I got a williams Indy.

Now after ground up restoring a stern POTC and a Williams T2, the quality difference is amazing. Not only is the difference amazing between a stern and a Williams, that is kinda obvious... Rather it was the staggering difference in qualtly between a stern POTC form 97 compared to a new stern Metallica. The older Stern's are made better IMO. Stern clearly will sacrifice quality to get quantity out the door.

Personally I'll never buy a new stern, unless some serious things change. Im all for JJP even though I don't own one, nor to I plan to. Their message is very clear. They care about their products and they care about their customer. They have a passion to make great machines, and make great relationships. I think stern is about making great numbers. It's too bad because stern could do better and they know it, but they won't.

#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

For kids I’d say it is.

LOL!

Every frickin person on this forum is a big kid with our big kid toys

And then buying toys/mods to go on the big toy!

So saying Mario Odyssey is for kids is is kind of hilarious

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So saying Mario Odyssey is for kids is is kind of hilarious

You guys are really something, another pinsider stated its the best game ever made or something like that so Who Dey responded "for kids I'd say it is" how does that become "its only for kids", one thing I love about pinside because I'm a bug, a big bug is its really easy to get people having to re think their masculinity because we are all old guys playing with toys, watch the comments that follow this statement, there will be a lot of justification and comparisons, I love it. I grew up with Mario and Zelda and really enjoy Pikmin and so many other nintendo original games, Mario 64 was pure magic the first time I played it, I bought the Wii and the Wii U but it just didn't click with me, once again if you go against the grain around here prepare for the "revenge of the nerds 5" the pinside years.

revenge-of-the-nerds_still2 (resized).jpgrevenge-of-the-nerds_still2 (resized).jpg

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You guys are really something, another pinsider stated its the best game ever made or something like that so Who Dey responded "for kids I'd say it is" how does that become "its only for kids", one thing I love about pinside because I'm a bug, a big bug is its really easy to get people having to re think their masculinity because we are all old guys playing with toys, watch the comments that follow this statement, there will be a lot of justification and comparisons, I love it. I grew up with Mario and Zelda and really enjoy Pikmin and so many other nintendo original games, Mario 64 was pure magic the first time I played it, I bought the Wii and the Wii U but it just didn't click with me, once again if you go against the grain around here prepare for the "revenge of the nerds 5" the pinside years.

Yeah I wasn’t knocking Rare Hero for playing it, even though I do think it’s a little odd for a guy his age to like Mario so much but I’m fine with that truthfully if that’s what he likes. I just don’t think that there are many gamers 50 plus years old so excited for the new Mario game coming out lol. I catch hell from a lot of people for the simple fact that I play video games at all, they just can’t believe that I still play video games at 52 years old. I did in fact like the first Mario when it came out but it’s just not a game I’d buy now no matter how good it is. Give me GTA, a good shooter, Fallout, Diablo, Resident Evil, games like that.

I guess maybe a good example might be, I bought the new Crash Bandicoot for my girlfriends grandson a couple months ago. I though this is a win win, he will enjoy it and so will I because I used to play Crash Bandicoot. I bought the game and I don’t play it because that title or theme whatever just isn’t there for me anymore. I’ve just outgrown it for whatever reason and Crash Bandicoot is way more manly than Mario ever thought of being.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just don’t think that there are many gamers 50 plus years old so excited for the new Mario game coming out lol.

There aren't, I just got done watching some gameplay of Wolfenstein 2 I doubt we will see a dedicated fan page for that game.

#1169 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

There aren't, I just got done watching some gameplay of Wolfenstein 2 I doubt we will see a dedicated fan page for that game.

I have been down on the COD games the last few years but I think this new one coming out is going to be a good one. They are going back to their roots with WWll and no more jumping BS. If I could get Socom 2 back I wouldn’t play any other games at all. The early Socom games were the best games ever made in my opinion. I can’t believe Sony won’t bring those back for people.

#1170 6 years ago

Can we take the video game discussion elsewhere please?

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have been down on the COD games the last few years but I think this new one coming out is going to be a good one.

Yeah, the last one I really enjoyed was World at War, I don't mind the older Rainbow Six, Medal of Honor and Ghost recon games either, loving Fall out 4, talk about possibly the greatest game ever made, it sure as hell isn't Mario.

MoH_Airborne_cover_PC_DVD (resized).jpgMoH_Airborne_cover_PC_DVD (resized).jpg

#1172 6 years ago

I played Castle Wolfenstein on an Apple II+ with a green monitor baby!

I rocked me some 1981!

B1992144-2461-4628-888D-7008425183B0 (resized).jpegB1992144-2461-4628-888D-7008425183B0 (resized).jpeg

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Why? This thread went from being about how JJP showed up Stern with their new Pirates game to a Stern bash fest and you didn’t complain about that so why would you complain if we talk about video games for a little bit?

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No. This thread has run its course and was ridiculous to begin with. Lets talk video games.

#1175 6 years ago

Coming soon...

A dark night for Activision

#1176 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why? This thread went from being about how JJP showed up Stern with their new Pirates game to a Stern bash fest and you didn’t complain about that so why would you complain if we talk about video games for a little bit?

First, that's not what the tread was and is supposed to be about.
Second, I had previously asked mods to close it when it got derailed before with burritos and underwear. I have no issue with discussing video games, but that discussion has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is not one I'm particularly interested in. Feel free to open up a thread to talk about anything you want, but have the courtesy not to thread crap.

If no one has anything more to say about how Stern (or JJP) can improve to meet the demands of the operators and enthusiasts who buy their games or related issues then this thread has indeed run its course.

#1177 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This thread has run its course and was ridiculous to begin with.

And yet you still visit...

#1178 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

this thread is such a joke

Yes, Stern quality is a joke!!

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

And yet you still visit..

I said its runs it course and is ridiculous but that doesn't mean its not entertaining. how did u post 2 in a row? it won't let me do that.

#1180 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If no one has anything more to say about how Stern (or JJP) can improve to meet the demands of the operators and enthusiasts who buy their games or related issues then this thread has indeed run its course.

I'd like to bring up two observations:

Customer support - If I buy a JJP and have problems, I know I'll get the issue fixed and if I'm not satisfied, I can talk directly to Jack to get the issue resolved. That's not an option with Gary.

I might just take Gary's barcade advice and drop coins on location instead of ever buying NIB again.

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Customer support - If I buy a JJP and have problems, I know I'll get the issue fixed and if I'm not satisfied, I can talk directly to Jack to get the issue resolved. That's not an option with Gary.

What? do you honestly believe if JJP gets as large as Stern Jack will be making fuckin phone calls, come on man, JJP is still a boutique operation, wow. See Jfh ur thread sucks. Bye Bye

#1182 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What? do you honestly believe if JJP gets as large as Stern Jack will be making fuckin phone calls, come on man, JJP is still a boutique operation, wow. See Jfh ur thread sucks. Bye Bye

Gary responds to emails and phone calls, speaking from recent experience. So there is no reason Jack couldn't continue to do so.

#1183 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm simply stating that as a customer of both manufacturers I have access to direct communication with the decision maker at JJP, but not at Stern.

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I wasn’t knocking Rare Hero for playing it, even though I do think it’s a little odd for a guy his age to like Mario so much but I’m fine with that truthfully if that’s what he likes. I just don’t think that there are many gamers 50 plus years old so excited for the new Mario game coming out lol.

Well, I just turned 41 - maybe that has something to do with it? Almost everyone I know is super hyped about Mario and bouncing off the walls about it. I was 6 or so when I first saw Donkey Kong & Mario Bros. in the arcade - they've been part of my life ever since. Anyone who grew up during the NES, SNES, or N64 eras are going berserk for this game....and it's not just nostalgia, the game delivers. Just so imaginative and clever and fun.

#1185 6 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I'd like to bring up two observations:

In fairness to Gary, I think he has evolved into more of an elder statesman role doing more marketing related tasks. It doesn't bother me calling Gary about an issue likely won't result in action as it does when calling Jack. Although both men are the faces of their company I get the impression Gary is no longer as interested in the day to day stuff.

What bothers me is Stern's poor follow through for anything but the most mundane issues. There are way too many stories here about people with serious issues that take months, sometimes years to resolve, where communications seem to be a black hole.

Sadly, right or wrong, I don't have much confidence that Stern will care if I ever have a serious issue and that I will have to lean on my dealer for help. Maybe that's what Stern wants. But I have confidence that both JJP and their dealers I would deal with would have my back.

And it's amazing how much prompt communication makes things better than they may actually be. Stern wants you to think no news is good news and that's not how world class customer support works.

#1186 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Stern wants you to think no news is good news and that's not how world class customer support works.

Its not how any successful customer service works these days, that is an archaic way of thinking and out of date by at least a decade.

The world is a changed place from 10-20 years ago, with everything revolving around social media and having internet access in the palm of your hands, we live in a society that wants/demands live information and updates, Stern have social media they just need to workout how to use it correctly and to their advantage in the modern era we live in of instant gratification.

Which for a lot of the worlds biggest companies is relative transparency and regular communication with their followers and customers.

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sadly, right or wrong, I don't have much confidence that Stern will care if I ever have a serious issue and that I will have to lean on my dealer for help. Maybe that's what Stern wants. But I have confidence that both JJP and their dealers I would deal with would have my back.
And it's amazing how much prompt communication makes things better than they may actually be. Stern wants you to think no news is good news and that's not how world class customer support works.

If Stern had a customer support team in place that had the power to solve problems correctly and (in a timely manner), I suspect pinside would have a 30% reduction in wasted bandwidth. I'm a Stern supporter, but even I'll admit sometimes they are their own worst enemy.

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I actually play games & understand them. Most people here understand and respect my opinions and knowledge of games...even if they disagree with me, they get where I'm coming from & know I'm coming from a place of experience.

As you know, I respect your opinions/knowledge, but have to disagree on The Hobbit. It's a stunning game to look at, but I really don't like the way it shoots. I don't have enough time to criticize the rules, however the layout is really uninspiring the me. As you know, I just took delivery of a Dialed-In...shoots so much nicer! For me, without a interesting shots, a game is hard to warm up to...

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

As you know, I respect your opinions/knowledge, but have to disagree on The Hobbit. It's a stunning game to look at, but I really don't like the way it shoots. I don't have enough time to criticize the rules, however the layout is really uninspiring the me. As you know, I just took delivery of a Dialed-In...shoots so much nicer! For me, without a interesting shots, a game is hard to warm up to...

I felt the same way - until I got to know it. Hobbit is a "whatever" layout, but it's all about the rules, sights and sounds that brings it all together as a phenomenal experience. Unfortunately for Hobbit, it's a true "Home Use" game - you won't get a real sense of it in a noisy location or at a show.

#1190 6 years ago

Has anyone bought a shaker motor directly from Stern? Did you know that per their stellar customer support if you buy an after market shaker (i.e. from Pinball Life) it voids Sterns manufacturers warranty? I actually tried to buy one from Stern and couldn't even find it on their website....

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone bought a shaker motor directly from Stern? Did you know that per their stellar customer support if you buy an after market shaker (i.e. from Pinball Life) it voids Sterns manufacturers warranty? I actually tried to buy one from Stern and couldn't even find it on their website....

When you say aftermarket shaker from PBL which are you referring to? It was my understanding PBL sold official shaker motors from Stern?

#1192 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

When you say aftermarket shaker from PBL which are you referring to? It was my understanding PBL sold official shaker motors from Stern?

They are Stern compatible i.e. Sam/Spike, but according to Stern customer support their not "Stern Shakers"....I was miffed at the comment....

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Shakers for SAM and SPIKE are in their online store, under "GIFTS", for some reason. Not easy to find...

#1194 6 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Shakers for SAM and SPIKE are in their online store, under "GIFTS", for some reason. Not easy to find...

I guess technically it would be a "gift" to myself their website is horrible....so I guess what Stern is saying is you have to pay $50+ dollars more for a shaker in order to avoid the Stern warranty....I guess buyer beware...

#1195 6 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

If Stern had a customer support team in place that had the power to solve problems correctly and (in a timely manner), I suspect pinside would have a 30% reduction in wasted bandwidth. I'm a Stern supporter, but even I'll admit sometimes they are their own worst enemy.

They do have an excellent service crew in place. It’s your distro and Chas direct from Stern

I’ve only had one pin that needed service, BM66, at it was excellent, just like JJP

Now production issues like ghosting etc that’s different

And why would you even want to talk to Gary? Chas is the man, pick up the phone

Btw, the Hobbit blows

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, the Hobbit blows

It doesn't blow but I would rate it right around a C+. Lights, sounds and immersion are better but gameplay and layout are subpar. Still a fun pin when you get to the arkenstone modes. Mine only lasted a few weeks before I sold it

#1197 6 years ago

I have a decent collection, and I would say that TH Smaug is the most played by the kids, and adults....I think its incredibly well done, and very entertaining. BM66 is a decent game, but come on u can't deny its been a huge disappointment....

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I have a decent collection, and I would say that TH Smaug is the most played by the kids, and adults....I think its incredibly well done, and very entertaining. BM66 is a decent game, but come on u can't deny its been a huge disappointment....

BM66 just had a code drop. I think it will be great when done by Lyman in December, stay tuned

TH blows comment is for my buddy Rare, the pin whisperer, and of course no Game really blows

How do you rate AFMLE?

#1199 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

BM66 just had a code drop. I think it will be great when done by Lyman in December, stay tuned
TH blows comment is for my buddy Rare, the pin whisperer, and of course no Game really blows
How do you rate AFMLE?

I like it, but not in love with it like most people....the new color screen is a big upgrade over the original....kids don't really care for it....believe or not they only play TH, Met, SW, and ACDC...

#1200 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I like it, but not in love with it like most people....the new color screen is a big upgrade over the original....kids don't really care for it....believe or not they only play TH, Met, SW, and ACDC...

Ya MET blows........ Blows me away!!!!!! That game is fun for everyone. Next thing you know you will be getting them Metallica tickets

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,495 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.