69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 41.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Same goes for code quality they are just not going to bother anymore. How important is quality code in a bar?

Means a huge amount to league pinball. Most leagues are at bars and unless they want to haul in games monthly for a tournament, the games at the bars are the games the leagues play during the tournaments.

#52 6 years ago

People will bring out the knee pads again when GOTG is announced

Better keep that line running

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Honestly I'd take TNA over most recent Sterns. Of course there are notable exceptions (Tron, Spider Man VE, I own a boutique-ized Metallica) but a lot of companies are making it look like Stern isn't even trying right now.

Yeah, TNA was a no-brainer for me at that price. While simple at heart, the whole thing just looks and feels well thought-out, and put together with great meticulous care. I put my deposit down already.

#54 6 years ago

I sure hope Stern catches this thread and a few of the others following Expo. They should be at general quarters as soon as possible if they don't want to take a nose dive.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Not just this thread. Damn near every thread on Pinside since last night.

I actually enjoyed my time playing it on location. Did the playfield feel bare? Yeah, I'll admit to that. Disconnected? Nah I didn't see it that way. But then again, it's the dream theme to me. Had this been a theme I cared less about, maybe I'd be less torn. At the end of the day, my 40 plays into it have been super fun.

Yeah, bottom line, I don't want to be taken for a sucker. I can't throw $5k around whenever I want on games. It's a big purchase for me. Decisions decisions.
Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Carry-on folks...

I can appreciate that. This whole thread really isn't about the $5k pinball market anyways. Stern will continue to own it. I guess to help I should add that when you go to sell your Star Wars, expect to get in the low $4s for it. If that is ok, pull the trigger on a new Star Wars with confidence. If you can't or don't want to take that kind of bite, probably should hold off.

Sorry to get off topic here. Keep bringing out the high end pins, JJP!

#56 6 years ago

Stern's biggest mistake is not having a rep on forums like this answering questions and keeping us somewhat happy with the work they are doing. Keeping us in the loop on code updates and other developments with quality control etc. If Stern put a little bit more effort in this direction I really think it could pay off big for them. Even pretending to listen to customers thoughts and opinions can create loyalty, and confidence that Stern is doing a great job listening to their customer. I do not get this feeling from Stern. When I spend 10k I want to feel like the company I just spent my money with is listening to me. Hence the reason I will be sticking with older titles and NIB from JJP.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Means a huge amount to league pinball. Most leagues are at bars and unless they want to haul in games monthly for a tournament, the games at the bars are the games the leagues play during the tournaments.

I was curious about this, how profitable are league nights for operators? I admit I don't know much about it as I avoid those nights because the machines are all in use and I'm not a tournament player. Does an operator get a cash payment because the games are on free play. Are those better nights or worse as far as profit. Seems like a good night for the bar but not so good for the pinball machines themselves.

#58 6 years ago

This Op loves league nights, and plans on getting as many POTC out on route as I can. I think this game will earn really well. I just hope ball times arent too long and don't think they will

#59 6 years ago

I'm not a operator but the bars must love them. 20 to 40 guys standing around for 4 or 5 hours, drinking and eating food.
Plus they make a % (say 20%) of all cash during the rest of the month.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I know it would never happen, but Stern's absolute best counter to JJP's reveal would be to announce a price DROP.

Price drop on "ghosting is normal" games..... I'm still out. Price drop on games with unfinished code.....I'm still out.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I know it would never happen, but Stern's absolute best counter to JJP's reveal would be to announce a price DROP. It would further establish that they're in the large scale operator and family NIB market, while allowing JJP to tackle the high end "exotic car" market.
Their LE's can't hold a candle to JJP's standard market, and instead of trying to show value in an $8500 pin, they should drop their 3 price points and dominate the lower tier markets. Put the existing Pro models out at $4750 with a two-for-$9K deal so they can market that you can get 2 Stern Pro's for 1 JJP Pro shipped. That's how you position yourselves strategically.
However, this would make total sense, so obviously Stern wouldn't do such a thing. I have that feeling suggesting a discount to GS is like suggesting a buy-one-get-one-free to Mort.
» YouTube video

are you mental? Stern's sales are hugely up! Why would they reduce the price?!

Neil.

#62 6 years ago

SW pro is a fantastic fast playing great pinball machine, whats the point of all this Stern is in trouble crap, am I only the only one who doesn't give a shit? I mean its 3500 more for a JJP standard, it better be amazing.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

SW pro is a fantastic fast playing great pinball machine, whats the point of all this Stern is in trouble crap, am I only the only one who doesn't give a shit? I mean its 3500 more for a JJP standard, it better be amazing.

You didn't hear? It's all over for stern, and they'd better slash prices and reposition their marketing as the "Yugo of pinball" or they'll be tits up in a year.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You didn't hear? It's all over for stern, and they'd better slash prices and reposition their marketing as the "Yugo of pinball" or they'll be tits up in a year.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

People will bring out the knee pads again when GOTG is announced
Better keep that line running

Not gonna announce till next month I hear. Distributors are still sitting on Bat66 and SWLE. Saturation is coming to a head.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Not gonna announce till next month I hear. Distributors are still sitting on Bat66 and SWLE. Saturation is coming to a head.

WWE LE

#67 6 years ago

Stern is leaning towards how things use to be. When arcades were the big thing. All pinball companies would design, build, and ship a completely working game to the operators/arcades for use. The games would make money for the operators and then that would go on until the next game would release. Out with the old or broken and in with the new and working. Stern may not want the collector market because they don't want to have to deal with making parts and fixing issues years down the road (possibly even days and months). Now that arcades are dead, but barcades are on the rise we have a new marketing plan..."Get those casual players that are a little drunk to play our games and they won't know that the code isn't finished." Which brings me to my next point.

Looks like Stern is turning into video game developers. How so? In the form of releasing a product that they KNOW isn't finished, but want to make the money now and fix/patch the issues later....with an update. If you want Stern to change for the better. STOP BUYING THEIR SHIT! Don't preorder either. Not until you know it works, fully. If a company keeps making profits even when the customers are complaining, why change? I promise you, the moment they nose dive on profits you will see a change. Hopefully for the better.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Looks like Stern is turning into video game developers. How so? In the form of releasing a product that they KNOW isn't finished, but want to make the money now and fix/patch the issues later....with an update.

As a video game developer I can with complete confidence tell you this is 100% false. This stuff used to happen when everyone and their dog was churning out crap but those days are long since over. It is just not the reality at any legit studio.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh, that is not the point. Slashing prices for what?
I have written an email to stern support more than one time, never got an answer.
I bet, the same mails sent to JJP and they would have answered.

So, the price is not important (JJP is not in the range of the pros). Important for being excellent is how you make your CRM. When you want to be in the market tomorrow.....

So, maybe customer are willing to buy one JJP INSTEAD of two Sterns.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

You da man MN!

A code drop might help w BM 66

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You da man MN!
A code drop might help w BM 66

Code drops would help every game

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Smith:

I refuse to buy a game with unfinished code from Gary ever again as I have zero faith that it will ever get done in a timely manner... or even finished at all. I despise having someone take my money just to put me on a back burner while they work on other new projects. To me that's a slap in the customers face. Then to have the audacity to expect me to hop on the bandwagon and shell out money for the next latest and greatest when he still hasn't completed his original obligation to me is the epitome of absurdity.

They are releasing so many games (recently with alpha and beta code) that they can no longer meet the future commitments they have made with regard to code updates.

What you see is what you get now with them so only buy based on what you see and not on the blind hope of what will come - those days are over and the most you can expect is that they might get to 1.0 someday. Too many games to have any expectation that a programmer will do it on his own time out of love like was done sometimes in the past.

#73 6 years ago

I'd like to see/read Sterns present but sounds like it was general shop talk.
Given the last year, seems like odd marketing to not address or tease core enthusiasts with news as well as doing their barcade bit.
Look forward to clarity here.

#74 6 years ago

what is considered the best LE stern complete package? Does it compare to the standard edition JJPOTC?

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are asking them to react to...what exactly? What has changed for them in the last 24 hours?

Not the last 24 hours, the last 24 months! They've probably shipped more replacement PF's, probably have dealt with more minor tech. support calls than ever, and the code feedback email inbox is probably full. An operator lost a sale on a used location game to me 2 weeks ago because the cabinet looked like... well below is one of two cracked sides (and it had ghosting to boot).

Kiss, GoT, AS, GB, and SW are fine games, but IMO they don't stack up collectively to the SM, TWD, ST, MET, ACDC era of games, both from a gameplay and QC standpoint. Pre-Spike were the games that really made them kill it for years. But with all the current crap (even if Pinside is a vocal minority), they have to be looking at all sorts of trends since Spike. Did AS and SW really hit sales expectations for 2017? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fell a touch short. People really warmed up to DI, meanwhile last I read there was still a local NIB SWLE in stock. With LE's usually being a juggernaut, who would've anticipated SW LE's to be in stock months after release? That's a trend worth noting, and it didn't happen overnight. Another one to follow in the coming years - does any Spike title get its license renewed like MET and ST, or does demand dry up?

One thing any business can do is fight hype with hype. It's quick and can keep money from flowing to the competition. There are so many "pinball dollars" floating around out there. Starving your competition means more of those dollars can float your way. Right now if I were at Stern, I'd be seeing lost revenue floating to a competitor for what's now the 4th time. I'd also see TNA taking in about $1mil in revenue for Spooky. You can either waive goodbye at that money or try to do something about it, and with them probably knowing at least how SOME of the market is perceiving them right now, some positive PR or some freggin' good will to a customer base (that now has at least some options) isn't the worst idea.

Cabinet (resized).jpgCabinet (resized).jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 6 years ago

Well,us B66 LE owners are right pissed off at this point over this unfinished code! As of now,I wouldn't buy a nib Stern at all! My B66 LE was busted in the box, delivered that way! My GB Pre worked for 1 week and node board #8 blew! SW does'nt impress me!! No more,no thanks!!!! IMHO.

#77 6 years ago

Stern has pissed on a lot of their customer's heads and people are sick of it, myself included. Seems from all these negative Stern threads lately a lot of other people are too. I didn't watch the whole Stern presentation last night, but from what I saw it was their normal lackadaisical attitude.

I definitely will not be buying a NIB game from them for a long time, if ever again. Although I'm not a fan of the JJPOTC theme, but it looks like it is a great game and I look forward to playing one and would consider buying one long before I considered another Stern purchase. Sorry Stern, but my money will be going to JJP, Spooky, or the secondary market, you had your chance.

#78 6 years ago

Spooky and JJP def crushing this Expo

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

As a video game developer I can with complete confidence tell you this is 100% false. This stuff used to happen when everyone and their dog was churning out crap but those days are long since over. It is just not the reality at any legit studio.

Not that I don't trust you, but I have played plenty of video games from "legit" studios that were piles of garbage until a few updates hit. Most recent example is Mass Effect Andromeda. Was so bad killed the franchise for the near term. Even now that they have "finished" support it it is full of known/reported bugs.

#80 6 years ago

A year ago both companies showed their new games at expo. Overwhelmingly BM66 was the better received presentation, although not playable, it was promised as the flagship game and would become great.

Fast forward one year, and Dialed In has now proved that it was the better designed and thought out game while BM66 owners are now frustrated over total lack of support and still in beta code even a full year later.

Last night JJP displayed the future of pinball to rave reviews and from what I could see all Stern offered up was excuses.

#81 6 years ago

If things keep going the way they are, we will be talking about the 6k pro market. I'd say 2.5 years

#82 6 years ago

All games have bugs and many bugs are indeed delayed and patched intentionally. Games are not shipped with missing levels and only half the game available to be played. Comparing what Stern is pulling to a bug fix patch is laughable. There are thousands of KS (known shipable) bugs in a game. That just shows the quality of your testing.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

If things keep going the way they are, we will be talking about the 6k pro market. I'd say 2.5 years

That happens and you'll see more and more people jump to JJP standards.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

That happens and you'll see more and more people jump to JJP standards.

they will probably keep going up too

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

FYI current cost of a Stern Pro (Spike 2) in EU markets is $7400-7800. LEs run over $12k.

This is made worse by the fact that after $ gains last year, and EU prices going up, it fell back significantly against the € this year, but prices haven't gone down again.** Similar story, though marginally less costly, in Australia, from what I understand.

They're in bigger trouble in overseas markets than the US.

Star Wars has gone down like a lead balloon here, as did Batman.

**This is also true of CGC and JJP games. The prices haven't been readjusted. Though in fairness JJP prices are a lot closer to US than Stern are.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Code drops would help every game

How about not releasing games until they are complete. Every game used to be complete before shipping. What year/game did Stern start sending out games with major pieces of software unfinished?

#87 6 years ago

When it comes to quality vs quantity, quality almost always wins.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Stern however broadcast clearly that they are going to concentrate on location gaming,

If that's that they're saying, that's just a bullshit copout. You don't make super expensive Premiums, LEs, and Super LEs for locations. What happened to the "three legged stool"?

They SHOULD be making quality, tested, finished GAMES....period. That will appeal to all of their markets. Whenever the insinuate that most of the players don't know the difference between good/bad games, that's so shameful....you're a GAME company - take pride in making FUN GAMES.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don't make super expensive Premiums, LEs, and Super LEs for locations. What happened to the "three legged stool"?

Jack sawed off two legs last night when Gary wasn't paying attention.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's exactly what you said and it makes no sense.

Right.... because Walmart and dollar stores aren’t doing well selling cheap crap.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Last night we saw a remarkable difference between the two major pinball companies during their Expo sessions.
Stern gave a presentation on how barcades and beer are their future and talked about their market without talking about the key topics that are important to the pinball buyers that make the difference - enthuisiasts and operators who actually buy the games from Stern distributors.
We heard nothing about how Stern plans to make anything better for their customers, no commitment to excellence, no acknowledgement of growing pains, quality control issues, no understanding that deep and feature complete code matter to a significant majority of their market or why it's important to have open, frequent and transparent communication with those buyers. Gary Stern, arguably the savior of pinball, demonstrated that his company is willing to cede the title of best position pinball company to JJP because Stern is more interested in being a manufacturer than delivering world class pinball machines.
It was well understood Stern was not going to reveal a new game. No big deal. The expectation was that they were going to relaunch their flagship 30th Anniversary game, Batman 66, that was released early to meet the 2016 anniversary deadline. At Expo last year we saw a georgous, unplayable game with pretty lights with a promise that designer George Gomez and programmer Lyman Sheets were going to deliver a game that would do the theme justice, exploit the new LCD screen and the amazing audio and video assets they have for Batman.
Early LE and SLE buyers of Stern's most expensive game ever were willing to take the risk because they were big Batman fans, big Stern supporters and believed George when he said Stern was committed to deliver a game both he and Lyman wanted to own themselves. Others were not so sure and distributors struggled to sell Premiums, not because the theme wasn't popular but because the game was barely playable.
From January to May we saw the code improve and hints of greatness to come (parachute pickup mode) and then complete radio silence until Expo when attendees were the first to experience the first update in 5 months. Those that actually paid for their games - some almost a year ago - don't have access to the code (they did get a vague promise that something might be released in a week or so, but that it still wasn't going to be anything close to release level code or the game George and Lyman want it to be). We got lip service as to why and no commitment to keeping owners in the loop. Owners of Star Wars and other games in serious need of code fixes didn't fare much better.
A couple hours later we saw a company that understood and acknowledged past missteps. Jersey Jack started with comments and presentations that showed they were committed to excellence, were willing to take risks, understood what their customers wanted and then followed that by revealing their POTC game in an 180 degree change from the disastrous reveal for Dialed In last year (a game that has exceeded expectations despite the initial negativity).
I do not care for the POTC theme and will not be a buyer, but the reveal was a home run. The game looks fast (a fast widebody!), fun and incredibly deep. JJP says it will deliver in 1Q18 with feature complete code, similar to what they did with Dialed In. What we saw last night was a game that was supposedly 20% complete that had more code than Stern's three most recent games combined.
The JJP team indicated they are here to stay for generations to come. I always wanted them to succeed and am now convinced they will. Someone said in another thread that JJP has now become the WMS of the 90s (the gold standard) and Stern was again Data East. With the stark differences in build quality now readily apparent to anyone that wants to look, that may be true. Stern may have the greater sales volume, but they are no longer the market leader in pinball.
Unless management at Stern wakes up from their "we own the market" stupor quickly and acknowledges and addresses the needs of the "enthusiast" community their beer and barcades future may be populated with competitor's games. They may see the impressive 40% growth disappear as fast as it came.
I love the idea of a fabulous Batman 66 machine. I like Stern. I want them to be more successful. However after last night I have no faith they want me as a buyer. I'm excited at the possibility of a new, great Elvira game. But I'm no longer going to buy a game on what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.

POST OF THE YEAR! Nicely done.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Jack sawed off two legs last night when Gary wasn't paying attention.

Let's not get totally carried away. There's still a sizeable home market that's in at current Stern Pro pricing levels but would never buy a NIB JJP game due to the 40% price spread -- $8900 (shipped) vs. $5200 (shipped) is substantial, regardless of the delta in perceived quality. JJP is intentionally targeting the luxury/high-end segment of the home market, and that's where Stern may have a fight on its hands.

It would be interesting to know what % of Stern's sales (and profits) are home use Pro vs home use LE/Premium. It's the LE/Premium sales they have to worry about, and I'm sure they're keeping an eye on that, especially if recent LEs or Premiums haven't sold as they expected them to.

#93 6 years ago

A little more food for thought.

If it should ever happen that this company does reap what it's sowing and go out of business, then you can almost bet any games that would be made during the last couple years of existence may never and probably will never be finished code wise.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A little more food for thought.
If it should ever happen that this company does reap what it's sowing and go out of business, then you can almost bet any games that would be made during the last couple years of existence may never and probably will never be finished code wise.

And just think about all of those node boards that may get very hard to replace

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Owners of Star Wars and other games in serious need of code fixes didn't fare much better.

Um.....Star Wars owners just got a sizable code update, and it's great! Did you miss that?

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Let's not get totally carried away. There's still a sizeable home market that's in at current Stern Pro pricing levels but would never buy a NIB JJP game due to the 40% price spread -- $8900 (shipped) vs. $5200 (shipped) is substantial, regardless of the delta in perceived quality. JJP is intentionally targeting the luxury/high-end segment of the home market, and that's where Stern may have a fight on its hands.
It would be interesting to know what % of Stern's sales (and profits) are home use Pro vs home use LE/Premium. It's the LE/Premium sales they have to worry about, and I'm sure they're keeping an eye on that, especially if recent LEs or Premiums haven't sold as they expected them to.

I should have put a smiley face by the comment. It was (mostly) a joke.

The two legs I was referring to were the Premium and LE legs. I agree that there is always going to be segments of the market more sensitive to price. Stern needs to concentrate on that market (Pro) but unless they fix QC and communication issues they may be in danger of losing that market share. Stern needs to regain the hearts and minds of potential customers. Staying on the current course isn't going to do that.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Um.....Star Wars owners just got a sizable code update, and it's great! Did you miss that?

You mean the one that seems to fry node boards?

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If it should ever happen that this company does reap what it's sowing and go out of business

Maybe a bit premature.
What this company needs most in my opinion is some fresh ideas and a move towards more customer appreciation.
They appear to be stuck in the "old days".
Eventually, Gary Stern will retire which may shake things up a bit in the company operations department.
Let's hope they stay afloat. Competition is always a good thing.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

How about not releasing games until they are complete. Every game used to be complete before shipping. What year/game did Stern start sending out games with major pieces of software unfinished?

Used to be you had to burn a new ROM to update your code, and it was a pain in the ass. Once it went to easy USB update it became way more feasible to get lazy and go with the "we'll release more later" mentality.

It's no different than cartridge consoles vs modern gaming, you get the double edged sword that is patching and DLC. It's cool to get more content and get bug fixes, but you also are at the mercy of a system that no longer gives a shit about shipping a final, finished game.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

You mean the one that seems to fry node boards?

No frying going on over here, with either two I've played.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 38.00
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.