2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by AndrewP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I just picked up a 1950 ESCO Be-Bop #5. The game is 100% complete and in what I consider great shape for it's age. It only has to big flaws, the paint from the back glass is laying in a pile in the back box, and one of it's past owners painted the front and the sides of the cabinet. The Playfield, mechanics, and wood looks great!! This is my first wood rail and pinball of this age, so I have a couple of questions. Is there someone out there that can make a translite? I'm not even sure where to start looking....And..I would imagine that the plastics in these machines are brittle from age? On a game like this should I pull all the original plastic parts and use or make some modern so that all the originals stay safe? I'm afraid to play it in fear of ruining anything plastic since it's all complete and no broken parts right now.... Thanks for any input!!!

#2 2 years ago

BGresto probably a good first start for glass if they have that file or rough sample can be provided for the Backglass. Plastics are hard to come by for this age. I have a WMS fairway I had to scan in damaged plastics touch them up digitally and print them on translite material.

Don’t be too afraid to play your game. Things break and we are here to fix them.

#3 2 years ago

On the cabinet paint, it depends on what paint they used. If latex house type paint which is the norm. Then if often can be removed. If rattle can paint, not so sure.

re latex: I removed blue paint from a 1950 Spot Bowler and while the original paint was rough it was still there. Used denatured alcohol, a plastic blade putty knife, and a plastic kitchen scrubby (not a 3M scratch pad), and over a weekend was able to get all the blue latex off.

re plastics: Yep, EJS is right, play it. I have probably played a couple hundred games on SB and haven't broken a plastic part yet.

#4 2 years ago

There are some of us that can get translites made for those hard to find games.

Check these guys out...

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/

#5 2 years ago

Xylene also removes latex paint without removing paint underneath.
    Available at home crapo or any hardware store.

#6 2 years ago

Thank you all for the responses!!! I'll try all the suggestions and look forward to playing around with it this weekend. I'll get a few pics this weekend and post them back here.

#7 2 years ago

Xylene should also work on rattle can paint.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-couple-of-questions-for-the-em-experts?hl=joker2415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.