Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1745.jpg
434037.jpg
sys11_pcb.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg
433348-a.jpg
Whirlwind_columns_schematic.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Does the GI circuit run at 12 volts?

The GI circuit is 6 VAC.

Normally if you are reading a high voltage on a column the signal is staying high rather than being pulsed. Although 4 volts sounds way too low for the pulsed signal. Are you using a decent meter?

Check all of the column drives and see how each one reads. If one is high then there's a problem with the board.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

If only someone had a website where you could look this stuff up....

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Easiest thing to do is disconnect the lamp column connector and then check each of the column pins. Since the signal is pulsed you should get about 12 volts. If any of the columns read at 17 volts then that column is locked on rather than pulsing.

Quoted from Dewey68:

For testing the columns, I'm assuming run one probe to the pin, the other to ground

Yes.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Okay, as expected, IJ7-8 reads at 16.8 volts. Checking the other pins though, I've got readings from 8 to 4 volts on different pins.

I would guess that's just the quality of the meter. Even expensive meters have difficulty with pulsed circuits since that isn't that they're designed for.

Start making your way back up the circuit until the column in question matches the other columns. If you have a logic probe that works even better since you can see the pulses.

I think system 11's have a resistor pack that pulls up the columns. If so, give it a squeeze and if it crumbles then that's your issue.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

but I'm struggling with the logic of how different columns can have such different voltages?

I doubt if they do, it's just a cheap meter.

U52 provides the pulsed signal (5 volts) which needs to be raised to 18 volts and handle higher current. That is the purpose of the two transistors. Same signal across the circuit, just at a higher voltage/current level.

Take readings at the red circles, and you can compare that to the blue circles.

433348-a.jpg433348-a.jpg

#11 8 years ago

The best way to see the traces on the board is to backlight it and then you can see the traces on both sides. This isn't always feasible so use your meter set on diode/continuity to figure out which points connect.

On the SR's the dash number is the pin number, so SR-9 is pin 9. Pin 1 should have a dot on it.

We'll do the red circles. The one on the right will be on SR16 pin 9 (this should directly connect to R83). The middle red circle can be checked at U52 pin 11. The left circle can be tested at U52 pin 12.

Here's some info on reading schematics.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/234-electronics-tutorial-reading-schematics

And the entire series (the better choice, but a lot of reading).

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/147-solid-state-pinball-tutorials

Where's zaza and his wonderful graphics when you need him?

#17 8 years ago

Thanks zaza.

Quoted from barakandl:

I think that Q54 has a solder ball squeezing out of the top of it. Pretty damn good sign that q54 is bad.

Man you kids have good eyes.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

haha i am vibrant 32! I always try and do a really good visual check.

I was a vibrant 50, now I'm a less than vibrant 61!

I agree 100% on the visual inspection--you can find a lot of problems that way. The most troublesome for me is photographs for some reason.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

So is this portion of the circuit acting like a relay, and the relay is stuck on sending too much power to the sockets? I'm still working on the logic of this circuit.

Basically yes. The input to the transistor is pulsed (lo and hi) and the output should be pulsed. Instead the transistor is shorted and sending constant voltage to the lamps.

Good catch barakandl.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-couple-of-insert-lights-over-voltage?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.