Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinzap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Escalera serial number (resized).jpg
    Escalera (resized).JPG
    Escalera Specs 2 (resized).JPG
    Escalera Specs (resized).JPG
    Escalera #3 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #2 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #1 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #6 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #5 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #4 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

After years of moving pins in and out of my basement, I finally decided that it's just taking too much of a toll on my body. An Escalera is expensive, but if it can save me from f***ing up my back any worse, then it will be well worth it.

One thing I'm uncertain about is if an Escalera will work with my basement stairs. I have a flight down, then a landing with a 180 degree turn, then another flight down. The part that worries me is the landing. There is only about 44" between the wall and the edge of the first step going down. Will this give me enough room/leverage to properly tilt the Escalera into position for the descent down the second flight? Assuming it's feasible, am I better off going with the shorter 60" model because of the space constraints? I really like the idea of having the removable forklift, but it seems like this is only available on the taller model.

I'm hoping that someone who has experience using an Escalera in this type of situation can weigh in. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

I have a similar set up as you, but I don’t use it to take a game down. I have carpeted stairs and it’s easier to just slide the game down with me putting my shoulder into the game from the bottom to ease it down. I do use it to bring it up and I don’t have any issue with the turn. I have the 66.

#3 6 years ago

My guess is that you’ll have no problem at all. There is also about 44” at the top of my steps from my garage to my basement and I’ve brought many pins down with my escalara (tall model). Even if you can’t get full tilt, the escalara will work on the first step to go down but you may have to pull back on the top a bit more. After you clear the first step and get enough room to balance perfectly you could lower the entire pin with one hand if your good at balancing (but wouldn’t recommend it of course).

I’ve had mine for a year and would never attempt to move a pin again without it due to the same back issues you spoke about.

As for the forklift... I do like mine, but don’t use it nearly as much as I’d thought I would. It’s a bit of a pain to move around when it’s not on the escalara and it always seems to be up or down (opposite of where my escalara is) when I need it. You won’t move it up or down the steps without it attached to the escalara due to its weight. I’d have to think long and hard about the forklift if I was buying today with my knowledge of how little I use it (but would probably get it anyway).

#4 6 years ago

Call larry at flipnout. He is the dealer for escalera and can answer all your questions.

#5 6 years ago

I have 1 step down to a landing, 42 inches between step and wall, turn 90 degrees, then 44 inches between first step down and wall I'm backed up against. I'm able to lower wpc type game on to landing and pivot the 90 degrees.
    Yes it's a little unnerving at first, because the game hangs over the first step. I reposition, lean her back and down she goes. I have the 66 inch model. I like the slower speed, 7 seconds per step vs 4, but wish for shorter handles. I'm 5'10" and and getting shorter every day. I may trim my handles someday.

#6 6 years ago

If you're doing it with a regular hand truck now I don't think that they'll be much difference. The escalera has almost a tighter wheelbase and a higher handle and it's straps the machine to the hand truck. I would go with the base model and not the forklift one. The forklift adds more weight to the hand truck and seems generally more awkward.
    One of the best pinball purchases I've ever made!

#7 6 years ago

Know anybody close who you can borrow one from?

I didn't buy the fork and don't regret it very much, it means I still have to get help setting them up on their feet but the Escalera is heavy enough already, without it.

I think Butch has a good point.

The good news is Larry is a great guy (you probably already know that) so whatever you do, you can't go wrong.

#8 6 years ago

I had someone use an escalara to bring a pin to my basement, which has carpeted stairs and the chain left grease on the carpet. Is there a way to avoid that?

#9 6 years ago

I have a similar stair situation going to my basement - 180 degree turn half way down the stairs.

Going from top to bottom - the stairs have a base of 38" at the platform - after sliding the machine and rotating it 180 degrees the next part of the platform is 42"- leverage is tough - I scoot the machine so it is hanging over the step by approx 4-6" before tilting the escalera back.

My escalera is the ~ 60" tall model.

#10 6 years ago

Call Larry at Flip n out. Unbelievably great guy

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for all the great input, guys! It sounds like my stairs won't be a problem, even with the taller model. I agree that I probably wouldn't use the forklift that often, but it does seem like it might be a nice thing to have just in case. I would only buy one that's removable, so the added weight wouldn't normally be a factor. Once you pop it off, you're basically just left with the standard model, right?

There is a guy not far from me selling a used one. It's the RLA-HC model (1200 lb capacity). The guy said he bought it brand new less than two years ago from Handtrucks2GO. This unit is obviously overkill for my needs, but I figure it might be worth it if I can get it for the right price. The guy is asking $2,000 OBO for it, but it comes with a bunch of upgrades and accessories. The machine looks like it's in nice shape. Assuming it is in good working order, what do you guys think is a fair price for this unit? Here are the pics he sent me:

Escalera #1 (resized).jpgEscalera #1 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #2 (resized).jpgEscalera #2 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #3 (resized).jpgEscalera #3 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #6 (resized).jpgEscalera #6 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #5 (resized).jpgEscalera #5 (resized).jpg
    Escalera #4 (resized).jpgEscalera #4 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

FYI, here's some specs that I took from the Escalera brochure. You can see that the RLA-HC model has a total weight of 181 pounds. That's damn heavy, but I think about 100 pounds of that is the forklift.

Escalera Specs (resized).JPGEscalera Specs (resized).JPG

My guess is that once you remove the forklift, it's essentially the MS-1-66 model.

Escalera Specs 2 (resized).JPGEscalera Specs 2 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinBuck:

I had someone use an escalara to bring a pin to my basement, which has carpeted stairs and the chain left grease on the carpet. Is there a way to avoid that?

For this, The Lectro-Truck is better.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

FYI, here's some specs that I took from the Escalera brochure. You can see that the RLA-HC model has a total weight of 181 pounds. That's damn heavy, but I think about 100 pounds of that is the forklift.

My guess is that once you remove the forklift, it's essentially the MS-1-66 model.

His asking price is fair with forklift and other accessories.

#15 6 years ago

I picked up a used Escalera a while back and love it. I wanted to buy the forklift for it, but turns out you can't add it later, you need to buy the model with it at the start. I'd love the forklift for putting legs on my games, no more dead lifting the end of a pinball. So I'd recommend getting the forklift.

I also have the big wheel and extended foot plate and would recommend both of those.

#16 6 years ago

My question would be how much of that is removable & how easy is it to do it?

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Basically the entire front black part comes off. I can't speak as to how easy or difficult it is to remove and put back on. Perhaps someone who owns one can chime in.

Escalera (resized).JPGEscalera (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for all the great input, guys! It sounds like my stairs won't be a problem, even with the taller model. I agree that I probably wouldn't use the forklift that often, but it does seem like it might be a nice thing to have just in case. I would only buy one that's removable, so the added weight wouldn't normally be a factor. Once you pop it off, you're basically just left with the standard model, right?
    There is a guy not far from me selling a used one. It's the RLA-HC model (1200 lb capacity). The guy said he bought it brand new less than two years ago from Handtrucks2GO. This unit is obviously overkill for my needs, but I figure it might be worth it if I can get it for the right price. The guy is asking $2,000 OBO for it, but it comes with a bunch of upgrades and accessories. The machine looks like it's in nice shape. Assuming it is in good working order, what do you guys think is a fair price for this unit? Here are the pics he sent me:

Better grab that quick. It’s a great buy, especially with all the accessories.

#19 6 years ago

How much would one run used if it did not include the forklift? I’ve been thinking about getting one but $800 is about my budget; more than that and I’ll just get a gym membership

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Basically the entire front black part comes off. I can't speak as to how easy or difficult it is to remove and put back on. Perhaps someone who owns one can chime in.

I have a video on my website showing how easy it is to remove. Takes maybe 30 seconds total. Very easy.

Call me anytime with questions. You don't have to buy it from me even if you are looking at a used one. Happy to help.

[email protected]

#21 6 years ago

If that Escalera is the one you want that is an excellent deal. The landing at the bottom of my carpeted basement stairs is 37 inches. I have the MS 60 Excalera. I bought the shorter one since I will not be moving Coke machines or other tall heavy things. The 60 inch is perfect for pins. I have no grease on my carpet. That sound like a user problem. The 60 inch is great for negotiating tight corners. Last weekend I helped a Pinsider get a pin up to the second floor. The landing was about 2-3 feet at the most. The 60 inch worked well. It took a little doing but was fine.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd love the forklift for putting legs on my games, no more dead lifting the end of a pinball. So I'd recommend getting the forklift.

I use the forks with the plate during the final assembly of a restoration. It’s basically a mobile work platform that I can raise and lower. Higher when I’m in the cab bottom and lower when I’m working on the head.

Quoted from Butch2099:

Very easy. A few turns on the turnbuckles and the S-hooks are loose and it comes off.

I would highly recommend the cross bar handle. I’m not a fan of the loop handles that come stock.

#23 6 years ago

If you're unsure about your landing and want to try one first, you can try mine. Though I have the even taller 72" model, because, well, ME.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

If you're unsure about your landing and want to try one first, you can try mine.

Thanks, Korn! That's a very kind offer, but no longer necessary. I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the one pictured above. I got the guy down to $1,600, which apparently is a very good price for that model with all the upgrades and accessories. When picking up the machine, the seller told me a funny story about a guy who had come down from Indiana a couple days before to buy it, only to be surprised when it wouldn't fit in his Mini Cooper!

Thanks again to everyone who participated in this thread. It really helped me to feel comfortable with the purchase. I'd also be remiss if I didn't express my extreme gratitude to Larry Kitchen at Flip N Out Pinball for his time and generosity. I spoke with Larry on the phone for about 30 minutes yesterday morning. He was amazingly helpful and answered all my questions, even though he knew he probably wasn't getting a sale from me. This was the first time I ever talked to Larry, and he is a truly a good dude. If anyone is in the market for an Escalera or a NIB pin, you should give Larry a call. Here's a link to his website ...

https://www.flipnoutpinball.com/

#25 6 years ago

$1600 is not a good deal, It is an amazing deal for an Escalera. American Made. It it built like a tank. It will last a lifetime. Practice using it with lighter low center of gravity items. It's all about the angle on the stairs. Once you master it you can move pins effortlessly.

#26 6 years ago

Congrats on the purchase. Yes a smokin' deal. Although from what I've gathered, many Escaleras are sold "outside" our hobby and kind of sell for normal depreciation for used goods, not crazy pinball economics.

Quoted from LitzDoc:

Practice using it with lighter low center of gravity items.

Yes I would practice it some before attempting to move a pin. Up and down the stairs even without a load. Although be aware the balance of a pinball will be different. I find I have to tilt it backwards more.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Congrats on the purchase. Yes a smokin' deal. Although from what I've gathered, many Escaleras are sold "outside" our hobby and kind of sell for normal depreciation for used goods, not crazy pinball economics.

Yes I would practice it some before attempting to move a pin. Up and down the stairs even without a load. Although be aware the balance of a pinball will be different. I find I have to tilt it backwards more.

I picked up a 2001 ms66 a couple of years ago for $400 off cl. My best deal ever. Guy used it to move appliances. I bought a new battery and big wheel attachment from Larry and have been real happy with it. Seems like it's built like a tank. It's a curse, though, mainly because it makes it too easy to move games and because of this my collection has grown dramatically.

#28 6 years ago

One thing I learned from my conversation with Larry is that you can tell how old the unit is by looking at the serial number. The first two digits indicate the year it was made. In my case, it was "15", so this helped me confirm that the guy probably wasn't lying about buying it brand new less than two years ago ...

Escalera serial number (resized).jpgEscalera serial number (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Public thank you to Brian, who helped me direct my Black Friday funds to be a co-owner of this beautiful Escalara. I was preoccupied yesterday with credit card reissue due to BofA data breach (again!!) and while updating accounts across the wonderful internet got locked out of my phone!

My back thanks you for taking the lead and negotiating a great deal!! I may finally have the upper hand on my arch nemesis "the steep stairs of doom".

#30 6 years ago

BTW...I never heard of Yuba City. On my bucket list.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

BTW...I never heard of Yuba City. On my bucket list.

Not too far from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company......

4 weeks later
    #32 6 years ago

Used the Escalera for the first time the other day to move a game down into my basement. Best pinball investment I ever made by far!

#33 6 years ago

Were ya still a little nervous ?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Were ya still a little nervous ?

My friend who has a lot of experience with an Escalera was the one who actually operated it. I used the opportunity to observe him and learn.

#35 6 years ago

Up is easy down, takes a little more getting use to. I actually sit on my but and go up and down for better v\balance. You really only need the 700 lb model and no forklift.

3 weeks later
    #36 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Used the Escalera for the first time the other day to move a game down into my basement. Best pinball investment I ever made by far!

Your back will certainly be thanking you for the rest of your hobby life!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-couple-escalera-questions?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.