Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by twizz63
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I (used to) store my coin box keys on top of the back box. I was kicking the snot out of HS2 last night, ball 1 was approaching 400 million, and I am playing um...physically? I managed to shake the keys off of the top of the machine and they slide down the glass, RIGHT UNDER THE FRONT GLASS COVER!!!!!!! I have tried to get them out with a variety of tools. Sigh.

However, since I still have to replace the side rails , I am going to try and take them off (enough) to adjust the glass and get those darned keys. If this is a really bad idea, please let me know!!

And, I no longer store keys on top of the back box.

$$ Lessons are so disheartening......

#2 12 years ago

Probably cheaper (and safer) to drill the lock, and get another one for $3.50 or so.

#3 12 years ago

You can often use a big screw driver and gently and slowly pry the door open. I've done it once and seen it done once. If you are careful you won't damage anything. After you are in, bend the locking piece back straight and no harm done.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

You can often use a big screw driver and gently and slowly pry the door open. I've done it once and seen it done once. If you are careful you won't damage anything. After you are in, bend the locking piece back straight and no harm done.

I can totally see this working in my mind's eye. those little latches inside are pretty weak.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from ninjedi:

Probably cheaper (and safer) to drill the lock, and get another one for $3.50 or so.

Hmmmmm, that isn't too costly! I will see about the screwdrivers tonight and then drill 'er.

#6 12 years ago

Is it a wafer tumbler lock on the coin door? (look in with a flashlight, and look at the brass tumbler the keyway. If it looks flat, it's a wafer tumbler lock). That's usually what I see on home use machines. If it's a wafer tumbler lock, just pick the lock - wafer tumbler locks are pretty easy to pick; there are plenty of guides to lock picking online.

#7 12 years ago

I personally would not pry the coin door open. It will bend the edge of the coin door and usually chips the paint. Drilling the lock is quick, easy and does not damage the pin.

Weren't the keys on a chain or ring? If so, how did that slide under the lockbar? Was there no beer seal?

#8 12 years ago

I would first try to pick the lock as DrAzzy mentioned and if that doesn't work drill it out as SC mentioned. Hope it works out TG!!

#9 12 years ago

that's terrible news gorilla! aw man thanks for sharing though, now I won't be inclined to make a similar mistake.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Weren't the keys on a chain or ring? If so, how did that slide under the lockbar? Was there no beer seal?

Beer seal apparently loose. As was my brain for storing the keys there. Naturally, I now have 3 lights out so I am actually interested in getting in! Grrrrrrr

#11 12 years ago

I would try picking, but most likely need to drill. Prying is not good.

#12 12 years ago

If it's a wafer tumbler lock, picking is easier than drilling the lock. wafer tumbler locks are almost always trivial to pick, they're there to keep out the riffraff, not to keep out anyone who really wants in. If not wafer tumbler, drilling probably easier.

#13 12 years ago

I frequently store my keys there as well.But I have rings with game name on them.......usually just toss them up on top. I also try and have duplicates in case of problems.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-costly-played-high-scoring-too-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.