4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I recently picked up a Genco Step Up from 1946. Very cool Art Deco theme, and it’s in great shape. There’s some very minor damage on the backglass because there are 122 bulbs in the back box(!) and no where for all of that heat to go. The bulbs are e10 base (screw in bulbs like an old fashioned flashlight) and aren’t cheap. I decided to go with LEDs (warm white) to keep things cool near the glass. I looked into bulbs from the usual vendors and they were $1 each... which meant that between the backbox and the playfield, I would spend more on bulbs than I did on the game. On Aliexpress, I found some for .30 each. I ordered and waited for them to be delivered from China.

Long story short, the bulbs from China are polarized and won’t work. The ones the vendors sell are not polarized, and would have worked fine.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I looked into bulbs from the usual vendors and they were $1 each...

Did you look at comet? LEDs even smd ones should only be .65 each about.

#3 4 years ago

Could you use #40 lamps? Much like going from #44 to #47 using #40's instead of #46 you are dropping from .25 amps to .15 amps.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I recently picked up a Genco Step Up from 1946. Very cool Art Deco theme, and it’s in great shape. There’s some very minor damage on the backglass because there are 122 bulbs in the back box(!) and no where for all of that heat to go. The bulbs are e10 base (screw in bulbs like an old fashioned flashlight) and aren’t cheap. I decided to go with LEDs (warm white) to keep things cool near the glass. I looked into bulbs from the usual vendors and they were $1 each... which meant that between the backbox and the playfield, I would spend more on bulbs than I did on the game. On Aliexpress, I found some for .30 each. I ordered and waited for them to be delivered from China.
    Long story short, the bulbs from China are polarized and won’t work. The ones the vendors sell are not polarized, and would have worked fine.

The old LED bulbs were not polarized and had to be installed one way only. What happens if you un-solder the wires from the terminals and reverse them?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

The old LED bulbs were not polarized and had to be installed one way only. What happens if you un-solder the wires from the terminals and reverse them?

They work fine then... but I’m not going to do that for 150+ sockets

#6 4 years ago

What if you swap the source wires instead? One swap vs 100

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

What if you swap the source wires instead? One swap vs 100

I considered that. Would need to figure out which ones, and there’s no schematic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-caution-about-bulbs-from-china and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.