Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0E3D952-7373-416F-B24D-869A49C1E043 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN5965 (resized).JPG
    A3AF4A2F-6CEC-4231-902E-7DAF7171359D (resized).jpeg
    F3576B60-73B3-4ED6-B949-BC2E0D4B6DA6 (resized).jpeg
    0B54179F-B613-40D0-9D6C-FEEA0947ED2D (resized).jpeg
    6CEBF2A8-C84A-41F5-9FDC-D46FEEA1C053 (resized).jpeg
    A58D23F2-A46C-48CF-B914-DBC54D103AD2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN5892 (resized).JPG
    FDA9D82C-8E0C-4313-BAA3-5944691A03F1 (resized).jpeg
    AA1E1E87-FA18-4B36-B9A0-6AF5010D7661 (resized).jpeg
    EA7B0D5A-CB94-4E4E-B878-E3256A427168 (resized).jpeg
    5C6C04E7-700F-4A10-84D5-856F8297B53D (resized).jpeg
    DSCN5808 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5807 (resized).JPG
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    DSCN5804 (resized).JPG

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

The juice plate yaaasss! Also passed down from my dad. Hawaiian bread makes it pure heaven. My wife had never seen this before. Sure, she's a doctor, but she was raised all kinds of WRONG.

#52 5 years ago

The secret to a successful juice plate is to not salt the meat until after or you are just about to pull the meat off the grill. Otherwise much of the juice will bleed out while cooking.

Unlike my dad, I don't like to keep a freezer full of meat. When he passed away in 2003, I found a couple lobster tails we caught off the jetty in the early 80s hiding in the back. Don't know how those never got eaten. But he had dated them. He was a child of the great depression though so it is understandable why he saved them.

#53 5 years ago

I never salt my meat. Pepper and Montreal seasoning only. Sorry about yer Dad buddy.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Sorry about yer Dad buddy.

No worries.

He lived life to the fullest and took long range fishing trips that dreams are made of. He was always around cool people and some of the characters I met while growing up still inspire me today.

He died on his boat on his feet after a day of fishing when the old ticker finally gave out. We should all be so lucky to die doing what we love.

BTW Montreal has salt in it.

#55 5 years ago

Do shredded beef nachos count?

IMG_1474 (resized).JPGIMG_1474 (resized).JPG

#56 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#57 5 years ago

If we want good BBQ we have to do it ourselves. Restaurants here have 2 kinds, eastern and Lexington. Both pork with vinegar sauce. It's ok but give me a big rack of falling off the bone ribs anyday.

#58 5 years ago

This thread is 100 times better than that rabbit food thread. It made my stomach hurt just looking at it.

#59 5 years ago

Funny story for me....Short....First time years ago in a new business relationship with a company from India.

I took them to a steakhouse in Manhattan. I was over drooling at the smell and the steaks being walked by....that feeling we get from a BBQ smell of
    great flavor.

I had no idea that it was not only something they dont eat, but sacrilegious as well.

My yummy yummy joy joy steak smell, made them nauseous and they threw up in the bathroom.

Lesson learned.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Lesson learned.

More meat for Art !

LTG : )

#61 5 years ago

I had steak and Tofu for my birthday!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You are a wild man !

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A local establishment used to make the most wonderful zucchini tofu soup!

#64 5 years ago

Welp, looks like I’ll be smoking ribs this weekend now. Thank you all!

#65 5 years ago

No tofu for me tonight.

I'm in the mood for a juice plate!

DSCN5784 (resized).JPGDSCN5784 (resized).JPG

#66 5 years ago

I can't tell. . . is that another paper plate?

I guess I am not one to talk. Before the wife came along I used to put a frozen pizza in the oven and put it back on the inside of the box when it was done because I had no dishes.

#67 5 years ago

Me too.
    T bone time but honestly I'm lookin more forward to the juice plate than the steak.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

No.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

No, that's my fancy made in the USA Pfaltzgraff china.

I picked up two almost brand new complete sets down at the goodwill for cheap. Amazing the things people give away.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm lookin more forward to the juice plate than the steak.

And heeere we go!

DSCN5785 (resized).JPGDSCN5785 (resized).JPG

#70 5 years ago

Spare a square?

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Spare a square?

How bout I trade you for one of those King's Hawaiian rolls?

#72 5 years ago

I hate to be a downer in an otherwise awesome thread. If you are using wire brush style utensils to clean your grills stop immediately. Its rare but it happens that sometimes a wire can get on the grill, then in the meat, then lodged in your GI tract. You're lucky if they can find it and remove it. If not then you got a lot of pain for a long time.

Now eat meat and gravy!!!

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from maestro:

If you are using wire brush style utensils to clean your grills stop immediately. Its rare but it happens that sometimes a wire can get on the grill, then in the meat, then lodged in your GI tract. You're lucky if they can find it and remove it. If not then you got a lot of pain for a long time.

Sounds like you have some experience there. No, no more wire brush on the Weber grill. Got one of those large tongs with the grooves at the end. Just a basic scraping is all it takes. Good to not over clean it so it won't rust.

The Traeger grill gets washed by hand in the sink and put in the sun to dry.

#74 5 years ago

Hey Dad, can I drive?

GerryJPG (resized).JPGGerryJPG (resized).JPG

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Trust old mate ODIN to start this thread.
    I’m mostly salads and chicken these days ... but every week we have a steak night. I get the meat from the company that supplies Auckland best restaurants with their meats. Fiona is such a good cook, we rarely eat out any more.
    Here’s a rib from a few weeks back. It looked so spectacular, I took a picture and sent it to my buddy who was having beans for dinner.
    rd

They call that a cowboy ribeye over here. Ribeye is my favorite cut of beef.

I eat meat just about every day and really don't find it to be a problem. It's the carb heavy stuff that seems to get me.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I never salt my meat. Pepper and Montreal seasoning only. Sorry about yer Dad buddy.

Montreal has a butt load of salt in it.

#77 5 years ago

Who likes hot dogs?!!

Hebrew-National-Hot-Dogs-Uncle-Sam-Commercial-1979 (resized).jpgHebrew-National-Hot-Dogs-Uncle-Sam-Commercial-1979 (resized).jpg

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There are plenty of good restaurants in the area to get your carnivore fix without too much filler.
    One that does it up right that I haven't been to in a while but really need to get back to is Burrell's BBQ in Santa Ana.
    http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

Google maps says they're permanently closed

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrofnoc:

Google maps says they're permanently closed

They really should update their website then. lol

Oh that's sad. At one time they were rated the best BBQ in OC, and had opened a few other locations.

The original one in Santa Ana was cool because it was almost like a converted house and you ate on picnic tables in the front yard.

Burrells_Outdoor (resized).jpgBurrells_Outdoor (resized).jpg

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Trust old mate ODIN to start this thread.
    I’m mostly salads and chicken these days ... but every week we have a steak night. I get the meat from the company that supplies Auckland best restaurants with their meats. Fiona is such a good cook, we rarely eat out any more.
    Here’s a rib from a few weeks back. It looked so spectacular, I took a picture and sent it to my buddy who was having beans for dinner.
    rd

I see a knife in your picture.

You're Australian.

Every part of my non cultured American brain wants to quote Mick Dundee & post a pic of a larger knife.

#81 5 years ago

Stater Bros. has New York steak on sale for $3.99 a pound, so I had the butcher cut me a thick one.

I almost jumped over the counter and pulled the knife out his hand when he got overly busy cutting the fat off of it.

DSCN5787 (resized).JPGDSCN5787 (resized).JPG

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

You're Australian.
    Every part of my non cultured American brain

You don’t know how true that is ...

Seeing as I’m not Australian.

rd

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I was gonna ask when did you guys get invaded? Or surrender peacefully maybe??

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I noticed a few distinct differences between NZ and Australia when I was over there.

They both had Mc Donalds that looked like they were imported from the 70s with their hamburgler and grimace statues out front, but Australia was much bigger and NZ seemed slightly more laid back.

#85 5 years ago

I enjoyed the Meat Pies while in Australia. Like a chicken pot pie I had when younger, only different. Not a fan of the kangaroo meat though.

I thought the foods there were uniquely different than what I was used to in the US -- less sweetness in general. The steaks were quite good if I remember correctly. . .

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Close enough lol

Quoted from TractorDoc:

I enjoyed the Meat Pies while in Australia

Was it kangaroo meat?

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Stater Bros. has New York steak on sale for $3.99 a pound, so I had the butcher cut me a thick one.

I almost jumped over the counter and pulled the knife out his hand when he got overly busy cutting the fat off of it.

The flavor is in the fat. I recently bought some market ground beef that was on sale (25% fat) for burgers. It was much more flavorful than the 10% fat stuff I usually buy.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I thought the foods there were uniquely different than what I was used to in the US -- less sweetness in general. The steaks were quite good if I remember correctly. . .

And you learn that the USA isn't the only place where "all that you can eat" is a thing.

All in all I liked both countries and decided I would like to live in either one, preferably NZ, but on the way home (beside that little mishap with the plane almost going down), I started thinking it really wasn't that different to living in So Cal. But I had forgot that was So Cal 30 years ago. Getting off the plane at LAX and looking around quickly brought me back to reality.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Was it kangaroo meat?

I think Meat Pies are usually cow (ground chuck).

Quoted from o-din:

Getting off the plane at LAX and looking around quickly brought me back to reality.

Similar sized countries (Australia/US) but with different populations (25 million vs. 300 million) are similar but indeed very different.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Similar sized countries (Australia/US) but with different populations (25 million vs. 300 million) are similar but indeed very different.

Big difference between the major cities in NZ and Australia.

We were in downtown Brisbane around lunchtime and it looked like NYC with so many people scurrying around except I think they were moving faster. Downtown Aukland at a similar time and it was almost a ghost town with a few people sitting around reading books and drinking coffee.

As far as here, I stay as far away from LA as I can any time of day. Especially downtown. Fortunately we are about 30- 40 miles south of there.

Quoted from mcluvin:

The flavor is in the fat. I recently bought some market ground beef that was on sale (25% fat) for burgers. It was much more flavorful than the 10% fat stuff I usually buy.

Yeah, lean ground beef is a ripoff.

#91 5 years ago

BRIS004 (resized).jpgBRIS004 (resized).jpg

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I thought the foods there were uniquely different than what I was used to in the US -- less sweetness in general.

We have a winner.

That’s what we really notice when we are in the USA - everything is sooooo sweet. Bread, anything from the supermarket, it’s all sweet as hell, compared to our stuff. When you eat out, all the food is sweet.

Last few trips, we started eating how we eat back home. Mostly bypassing the restaurants, we go to the Whole foods or Sprouts, get a heap of fruit and salads and eat that stuff.

I think that’s why people who become vegan/vegetation feel so much better. They put more thought into what they’re eating, so not only you eating more veges/fruit, they are cutting out the processed shit as well. Which is good.

When Fiona had to become gluten free, she stopped eating breads, biscuits, pasta, cereals because she had to. And guess what, she lost a heap of weight and hasn’t been back to the emergency room again. She (so we..) eat what most would consider “caveman” I guess ... fruit, veges, red meat in moderation, chicken. Mainly fruit.

I think the takeaway — the more you avoid food that comes in boxes, the better off you are.

Quoted from TractorDoc:

The steaks were quite good if I remember correctly

Down here, the beef and lamb is all outside on the grass. No grain feed. No huge barns. Minimum of antibiotics etc.

Pretty much all the poultry is going that way too. Still some cage farms, but the industry is heading to free range.

rd

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

That’s what we really notice when we are in the USA - everything is sooooo sweet.

Sweet.

DSCN5788 (resized).JPGDSCN5788 (resized).JPG

#94 5 years ago

Since man cannot live on meat alone, although some of our native american ancestors did a pretty good job of it and were a very healthy people, I figured I would make some tortilla chips to go along with some home made guacamole while my New York is out roasting on the Traeger.

Once you make your own chips, you may never buy bagged ones again.

DSCN5802 (resized).JPGDSCN5802 (resized).JPG

#95 5 years ago

A meat thermometer is never cheating. It keeps an otherwise nice cut of beef from getting overly cooked and too well done. Around 120 degree inside and it's time to pull it off and get ready for dinner. Which it just about is.

DSCN5804 (resized).JPGDSCN5804 (resized).JPG

#96 5 years ago

Guacamole is pretty simple especially if you have your own avocado and lime trees. The key is to use a couple different varieties and lightly mash them with a fork before adding the other ingredients so it stays nice and chunky. Nobody in their right mind likes whipped guacamole. I think I will add some crumpled bacon leftover from this morning's breakfast.

This is your pal, Graham Kerr, signing off for now.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

DSCN5807 (resized).JPGDSCN5807 (resized).JPG

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A meat thermometer is never cheating. It keeps an otherwise nice cut of beef from getting overly cooked and too well done. Around 120 degree inside and it's time to pull it off and get ready for dinner. Which it just about is.

That’s a pellet bbq right?

Do you find the pallets give the meat some smokeyness? Like that smoke ring around the edge of the meat when you cut it ...

rd

#98 5 years ago

Yeah, a pellet grill. It takes a little trial and error, but once you get it down, it is quite the amazing device. There is an entire internet community that takes these things maybe more seriously than we do our pinball machines. And 1000s of recipes.

One more for the road. Nice and juicy and rare. And full of flavor just the way I like it!

DSCN5808 (resized).JPGDSCN5808 (resized).JPG

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, a pellet grill. It takes a little trial and error, but once you get it down, it is quite the amazing device. There is an entire internet community that takes these things maybe more seriously than we do our pinball machines.

Shows how much I know about food preparation options. I've heard of pellet stoves (for heating), but this is my first introduction to a pellet grill for cooking. I am still a caveman when it comes to working the grill; I pulled all the old plumbing out of a hand me down stainless unit and still cut up/burn wood to cook over. My favorites are Maple and Cherry, but each species gives a burger a unique flavor. Acquiring cooking wood is probably not an easy option in the Golden State -- at the same time growing avocado and lime trees in the backyard is difficult in Ohio.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Acquiring cooking wood is probably not an easy option in the Golden State -- at the same time growing avocado and lime trees in the backyard is difficult in Ohio.

This is true. Unless you want to pay for it.

For the last 20 years I had been using the same Weber charcoal grill, the one I cooked that porterhouse on the other night. But after too many late nights watching those Traeger infomercials and then their roadshow showing up at our local Costco with bargain prices on them, I kicked down and bought the smallest, cheapest model they had. Perfect size for me even if I am cooking for a small group.

The pellets are made out of top quality hardwood and many different kinds. They really last a long time too.
    https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/hardwood

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-carnivore-thread-for-vicjw66/page/2?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.