Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some tech advice on my Whirlwind that has been having some issues related to the A/C relay. 80% of the time, the game operates flawlessly, but 20% of the time, the A/C relay locks on to the side with the flashers, and the outhole fails to fire, as does the bank of drop targets (and a few other targets), and fires the respective flash lamp instead.

Whenever I shut the game off under these circumstances, after a beat or two, you can audibly hear the relay click off. The relay also clicks off once I flip the game into test mode. Once in test mode, almost 90% of the time, the A/C relay operates perfectly, however, I was able to grab some video evidence of it failing the test as seen below. Though in this circumstance, it just seems sluggish, not really locking on like it would do in gameplay.

Any thoughts on this issue? I feel as though the transistor should be ruled out, as it's not permanently locked on or off (and seemed to test ok on the bench). Thanks so much for any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=NXntoABYMsw

#2 5 years ago

Tried replacing the relay? Or just cleaning the contacts? I had one that was so used the contacts would sometimes fuse together

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Tried replacing the relay? Or just cleaning the contacts? I had one that was so used the contacts would sometimes fuse together

I haven't actually tried that, but I guess I should to completely rule that option out. Is it an off the shelf 24 volt DPDT relay?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I haven't actually tried that, but I guess I should to completely rule that option out. Is it an off the shelf 24 volt DPDT relay?

That's a good question.. Technically yes, but I'm not sure about the current rating or the pinout. I coincidentally bought a box of 20 of them off ebay before I ever owned a pin just because I needed some relays :/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-c-relay-problems-on-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.