New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 272455)

A bit off-topic, what is this surface mount component?

By newbieinKC

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by newbieinKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200706_100141 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

I have a front loading washer with a bad motor control board ($300 part). Upon inspecting, I think I may have found the culprit. It was difficult to get a good picture, and the compression doesn't do it any good, either. You can see the little metal part with char marks that seem to join two traces (it seems that the two traces each have a 1000 uF capacitor). The rest of the board has SM resistors, diodes, and transistors. I can identify them by their labels. The burnt component has several "sisters" that are either the same width or more narrow. The unidentified components look like they are taped to the PCB. I can't seem to find a schematic; I am sure the mfr would rather me replace than repair. There is a light to heavy epoxy coating all over the back (wet service); I haven't had much luck testing with my multimeter to see if similar components have any resistor or diode properties.

Any ideas?

20200706_100141 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 months ago

Looks like a fusible link to me. It's just a flat piece of metal?

Google fusible link washing machine and you should get some info.

#3 3 months ago

I searched for that and could not find anything quite the same, and without a schematic, I am probably just skipping rocks. The part does resemble a thin ribbon of wire. Some of the similar components are thinner and more narrow that the problem child. There are no markings on the part to tell me the amperage or speed (I even got out my readers to check). I am assuming the caps are pushing a fair amount of current from time to time.

#4 3 months ago

I would make the assumption that it is the same as the part SW of there, whatever that is.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 3 months ago

Thanks for the help. No markings on that one either. Whirlpool wants to keep it secret apparently...

#6 3 months ago

Maybe this will help some. Seems to be what you are looking at.
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/washing-machine-motor-control-unit-repair/

#7 3 months ago

Reflow with solder and give it a try?

#8 3 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I am not comfortable putting this back in the machine without protection from an over-current condition. Too much other expensive stuff under the lid. I am thinking about trying to reflow the solder, but I have my doubts that I can power through the char at the traces. Like I mentioned, there is a thin coat of epoxy everywhere that was applied after assembly. I have to grind a bit to get a resistance measurement. I will dope it up pretty nice and use my silver-containing solder. Worst-case scenario is that I kill the motor or the main control board and second worst is that I still have a busted motor control board.

Any idea what the resistance should be on the motor? I presume it is brushless and fairly stout.

#9 3 months ago

I have worked on some of those machines, though not recently. They're well known for motor control board problems. Never tried fixing one of those boards myself for similar reasons (potentially dangerous). Might want to order one from a place that will take the part back if it doesn't fix it...I'm pretty sure appliance parts pros will refund you for the part after you've tried installing it ...(but most places don't do that afaik)

Good luck!

#10 3 months ago

Also since it does appear to be a fusible link like I said, there's a reason it smoked, and until that's resolved, replacing the fusible link isn't going to fix anything it's just going to blow again.

#11 3 months ago

It seemed to die right after an electrical storm took out the condenser on my A/C. I am a little bit worried that there is something else wrong (e.g. control board), which is further upstream on the circuit. The machine was plugged in but not running during the surge.

#12 3 months ago

That being said, this seems to be a problem with these boards because Whirlpool makes crap with cheap components. It could be any number of issues.

#13 3 months ago

Plus their troubleshooting isn't all that helpful. If you located the schematic/troubleshooting guide in the machine there are various steps that can be taken for diagnosis, but many times it's sort of a dead end where it'll tell you to replace the wiring harness or the mcu or ccu--typically with little/no assurance that it'll fix the issue. I gradually stopped repairing a lot of those for the weirder problems bc it would usually become an expensive, time-consuming series of part-swaps until the machine is fixed or customer is priced into buying a new washer. Sucks

#14 3 months ago

I concur. I went to one of the for-profit appliance pro sites, and the best answer I could get is that the error code is *probably* from one of two ~300 parts. I visually inspected one of the parts and it looked pretty good, so I think I am going to take a chance.

BTW, I tried to re-flow the fuse ends and could not make a good electrical connection. The epoxy coating seemed to seep into the bond, and I assume I didn't have much time with the soldering iron on the board before I really screwed something up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.95
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 199.95
    Playfields
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 139.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 199.99
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside