8AEF47EB-E7E2-4472-8CC5-ABD582FA8A5C (resized).jpeg
Target Switch (resized).jpg
7DC13292-E756-4CFA-AD82-3623D6A9D1E0 (resized).jpeg
234A21D3-7C32-4653-BB11-1C335AAC4E9C (resized).jpeg
Miss-O ABCD relays (resized).jpg
schematic copy (resized).jpg
Miss-O Playfield Original (Pre-Anything) (7) (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

In testing, I am having trouble with all the pop bumpers to reset at start of game.

The Miss-O has 4 contact switches at the top of the playfield and 4 corresponding lighted bumpers (A-B-C-D) when the switch is hit, the bumper will light. When all 4 are lit, hitting the center horseshoe switch will grant an extra ball. Miss-O Playfield Original (Pre-Anything) (7) (resized).JPGMiss-O Playfield Original (Pre-Anything) (7) (resized).JPG

After extra-ball is activated, as soon as the ball hits the outhole, the A-B-C-D bumper lights will go out to allow the next ball to start the process.

This process works flawlessly on my table, I can get an extra ball, when the ball drains, the A-B-C-D lights go out, I receive an extra ball and the next ball counts correctly.

My problem is that after the end of a game, if any of the A-B-C-D lights are on, hitting the start button to start a new game does not make them go out. Everything resets but the lighted pops.

In looking at the schematic (https://www.ipdb.org/files/1612/Williams_1969_Miss_O_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf) schematicschematicI can see where hitting the 500 point switch with A-B-C-D active will energize the extra-ball relay (green)

And I can see where the closed switch on the activated extra-ball relay will reset A-B-C-D back to non-energized (red)

My schematic skills are minimal. To me, it looks like the (blue) line shows that when the ball is in the trough. If the extra-ball switch is closed, the trough switch and the extra-ball switch will activate the extra-ball relay. But it will already be active otherwise the extra-ball switch would not be closed.

and I can't find anywhere where the start-of-game reset switch will reset A-B-C-D back. Can someone help me out?

#2 3 years ago

update. I din't show a black-blue wire off the trough switch, though it could be somewhere downstream... I just love schematics

#3 3 years ago

I don't think they're supposed to reset at the start of the game. The schematic shows that their shared lock in circuit only lets the ABCD relays relax when the Extra Ball and Outhole relays are active at the same time which would open both of the normally closed switches.

Games often have a feature, especially a difficult to achieve feature, that carries over from one game to the next. It's a way to entice you to play another game.

/Mark

#4 3 years ago

In 3 ball mode, they carry over. In 5 ball mode, they get reset. It’s subtle, an on the right side of the schematic. I can do a screen shot if you need it.

Dave

#5 3 years ago

You're right of course. There's a Game Over relay switch (in red) on the right power rail.
Miss-O ABCD relays (resized).jpgMiss-O ABCD relays (resized).jpg
But that raises another question. If the switch in red doesn't open at the end of the game and doesn't release the ABCD relays, a lot more of the game should still be working after game over too including much of the scoring, the flippers, etc. Is that the case?

#6 3 years ago

I have not actually run our game in 3 ball mode, but looking at the schematic, the jump around the game over and reset relays is only for the a, b, c, d, relays. So I’d expect the flippers, etc. to still get shut down.

Dave

#7 3 years ago

Agreed. I wonder though about the OP's situation where the ABCD relays don't reset when the game ends. One possibility is that the Game Over relay switch (in red) doesn't open. If that's the case, the right power rail (red wire) would still be live which would mean that scoring, flippers, etc. might still work after game over.

A simpler possibility is that there might be a short in the 3/5 ball adjust jones plug or related wiring so that the ABCD relays are always connected to the black wire before the Game Over relay switch instead of the red wire after the switch.

#8 3 years ago

True. Could always be someone who liked the three ball behavior and jumpered it intentionally.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for looking at this. I switched it over to 3 ball and everything works perfectly. After the end of the 3rd ball the A-B-C-D lights go out and everything is disabled.

In 5 ball mode, after the end of game, all A-B-C-D contacts are active and manually hitting them will light the corresponding light. Nothing else works on the table (bumpers, flippers, score, etc.)

#10 3 years ago

It is interesting that you mention the double-black wire on the 3-5 ball jumper. That wire was loose and I resoldered it back onto its post. I checked to see what post it was via thread ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miss-o-3-5-ball-wiring )

is it possible its not making contact correctly?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I switched it over to 3 ball and everything works perfectly. After the end of the 3rd ball the A-B-C-D lights go out and everything is disabled.
In 5 ball mode, after the end of game, all A-B-C-D contacts are active and manually hitting them will light the corresponding light.

I'm confused. Isn't that backwards? It's correct behavior in both cases but for the wrong ball count.

In 3 ball mode the bumper lights should persist across games and the brown-blue wire from the ABCD relay coils should be connected directly to the black power rail wire. In 5 ball mode the bumpers should clear at the end of each game and the brown-blue should be connected instead to the red power rail wire. Is that how your game is wired?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I'm confused. Isn't that backwards? It's correct behavior in both cases but for the wrong ball count.
In 3 ball mode the bumper lights should persist across games and the brown-blue wire from the ABCD relay coils should be connected directly to the black power rail wire. In 5 ball mode the bumpers should clear at the end of each game and the brown-blue should be connected instead to the red power rail wire. Is that how your game is wired?

thanks for you help! it was exactly backwards, at some point in history the owner decided to make 5-ball a little easier and swapped them. I changed them and it is working correctly now.

1 month later
#13 3 years ago

Hi, I'm still trying to figure out why when you hit the center target, and the center target is lit that it seems to cause a short, and doesn't advance the pool light. Can you verify that when you do hit the center target (when the center target is lit or not lit) that you score 10? It doesn't look that way on the schematic, but I do score ten. I'm grasping at straws here.

#14 3 years ago

There are two switches on the center target. One does the score, which is always 10 points, and the other optionally advances the pool balls.

In 5 ball mode, the change relay gets involved, so it doesn’t always advance.
In 3 ball mode, the center target will always cause an advance.

Dave

234A21D3-7C32-4653-BB11-1C335AAC4E9C (resized).jpeg234A21D3-7C32-4653-BB11-1C335AAC4E9C (resized).jpeg7DC13292-E756-4CFA-AD82-3623D6A9D1E0 (resized).jpeg7DC13292-E756-4CFA-AD82-3623D6A9D1E0 (resized).jpeg
#15 3 years ago

Thanks. To be clear, I assume the target switch is the one closest to the target and the one behind it is the 10 pt one (see photo). The target relay is energized by the center target switch thru the switch "A" on the change relay. Again when you hit the target switch (when the center target is lit) it doesn't energize the target switch and I also get a short. I just can't figure out why?

Target Switch (resized).jpgTarget Switch (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

Can you post a pic of the bottom-side of that switch you're showing on the topside? Also those two switch contacts are DIRTY!!! They need a bit of flexstone treatment. You can tell what switch is problematic by viewing wire colors on schematic to wire colors on the switch tabs.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from abakutis:

Thanks. To be clear, I assume the target switch is the one closest to the target and the one behind it is the 10 pt one (see photo). The target relay is energized by the center target switch thru the switch "A" on the change relay. Again when you hit the target switch (when the center target is lit) it doesn't energize the target switch and I also get a short. I just can't figure out why?
[quoted image]

To get a short, a low resistance connection is occurring between the yellow wire and the red wire. There are 2 possibilities.

1. The target switch is closing the path on my picture in red. The only thing in that path that’s shouldn’t be zero ohms is the target relay coil. According to the chart on flippers.com, this should have a DC resistance of approximately 14 ohms. Check that, if it’s less than 5, you have a bad coil and need to replace it.

2. There is something else in the path that is giving a short circuit from red to yellow, activated by closing that switch. It could be as simple as 2 terminals on that double switch touching each other, or it could be something touching at the target relay, change relay, or at the playfield Jones plug, or at the 3/5 ball plug. You have to search out all the spots and see if you can find it. You could unsolder the grey-g wire on the target relay coil and see if the short is still there.

Dave
8AEF47EB-E7E2-4472-8CC5-ABD582FA8A5C (resized).jpeg8AEF47EB-E7E2-4472-8CC5-ABD582FA8A5C (resized).jpeg

#18 3 years ago

Hi, I checked the resistance on the target coil and it was around .7-.8 ohms. I just ordered a new one. I'll let you know if that fixes the issue.
Thanks for your help.

#19 3 years ago

Hi Dave, So when I measured the resistance of the target relay coil when it was still wired in, I got the .8 reading. However, when I unsoldered the wires and then measured the resistance of the coil, I got 17.3, which I think means the coil is OK ? Since I had the grey-g wire off the coil, I checked and I was still getting the short. I checked all the other things you mentioned, but I just don't see anything amiss. Since I had the multimeter out I took some more readings:
1. When the 3/5 adj. was in the 5 ball side, from the Gray-R connection on the center target switch to the Gray-R connection on the change relay "A" switch, there was no continuity? I would have thought there would be a connection. However when I plug the 3/5 adj. in the 3 ball side, I got 18.3 ohms, which is probably a problem?

2. From the center target Gray-R connection to the Gray-G connection on the target relay coil, I get 17.9 ohms, in both the 3 or 5 ball option.

What does all that mean?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't think they're supposed to reset at the start of the game. The schematic shows that their shared lock in circuit only lets the ABCD relays relax when the Extra Ball and Outhole relays are active at the same time which would open both of the normally closed switches.
Games often have a feature, especially a difficult to achieve feature, that carries over from one game to the next. It's a way to entice you to play another game.
/Mark

Correct it’s a carry over feature designed to get you to drop more coin... it’s a great feature IMO.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from abakutis:

Hi Dave, So when I measured the resistance of the target relay coil when it was still wired in, I got the .8 reading. However, when I unsoldered the wires and then measured the resistance of the coil, I got 17.3, which I think means the coil is OK ? Since I had the grey-g wire off the coil, I checked and I was still getting the short. I checked all the other things you mentioned, but I just don't see anything amiss. Since I had the multimeter out I took some more readings:
1. When the 3/5 adj. was in the 5 ball side, from the Gray-R connection on the center target switch to the Gray-R connection on the change relay "A" switch, there was no continuity? I would have thought there would be a connection. However when I plug the 3/5 adj. in the 3 ball side, I got 18.3 ohms, which is probably a problem?
2. From the center target Gray-R connection to the Gray-G connection on the target relay coil, I get 17.9 ohms, in both the 3 or 5 ball option.
What does all that mean?

Hmm. The coil should have measured the same in or out of circuit, since the normally open switches should isolate it. That is probably a clue. The coil is OK.

What exactly did you measure to determine a short with the coil disconnected?
If you measure from Grey-g to yellow and from grey-g to red, what do you get?

Both should be open circuit. You’re likely fighting either a solder tab short, bare wire, or previous repair issue.

Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-b-c-d-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.