Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Installed A 5141 hot coils on my Wizard! The good news is I love the increase in flipper strength but the bad news is I'm not so sure the transformer can handle it. All the lights dim when I use the flippers and sometimes machine gives up(game over). My guess is amp draw from the coils is causing a voltage drop. How do I correct this problem?

#2 3 years ago

The Gottlieb 5141 is a 30 V coil. Using it in a Bally game, which is a 50 V system, is a little bit crazy. But that said I've done it before and it does work without any problems. In particular In wizard it's nice to be able to use it on the flipper to make the spinner shot. But it really is too low resistance to use in a 50 V system. The way you counteract this is to open up the end of stroke switch. open wider, it opens sooner, this will turn the power down on that coil just a little bit and make things better.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for being here Clay........

#4 3 years ago

I actually do this exact mod a lot to Wizards, so the spinner shot really rocks. also i have a boatload of 5141 coils laying around. just adjust that EOS switch so it opens early and wide. you can dial in the coil power this way. i love hitting that spinner hard! note don't use this coil on the other flipper though, you will rip up things.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks, got it working correctly. Surprised how much affect the eos adjustment has on flipper strength. Also studied Vids guide. Just scored 142,000 on my third game since making the correct adjustments. Now that's how I remember the game back in the '70s.

#6 3 years ago

I just got done playing a Wizard where the right flipper was significantly stronger than the other, which made sense with the shots that need to be made. Funny to see this thread because I was wondering how he got 'em that way.

Edit: Nope, I checked - matching Bally coils, left just needs some help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 399.95
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside