(Topic ID: 191588)

City o'Turds to playable Gold: Shouda-burned-it El Dorado: Gameplay video!

By goingincirclez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mark532011
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190325_213554 (resized).jpg
20190324_235703 (resized).jpg
Flipper (resized).jpg
IMG_2522 (resized).JPG
20190320_223939 (resized).jpg
20190321_084745 (resized).jpg
20190321_084753 (resized).jpg
20190319_233933 (resized).jpg
20190319_233949 (resized).jpg
20190319_233801 (resized).jpg
20190319_233853 (resized).jpg
20190319_233840 (resized).jpg
20190319_233832 (resized).jpg
Engineering (resized).png
20190319_084635 (resized).jpg
20190319_084716 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Stumbled on an online estate auction for an El Dorado an hour away. Now the surface rust and patina and loose bottom board in the listing pics were clues that this was not a diamond in the city of gold, but what the hell - it's a potentially cheap El Dorado and even my time/transport would be cheap. It had the backbox metal panel and the cabinet looked solid, so I bid what I figured the BG might be worth on its own. And won!
Oops?
I had my expectations fully tempered but when I got there it almost didn't look like the same machine. The streak across the playfield was not odd ball wear, but a rodent trail. And there were a few other rodent tells on playfield nooks.
The wiring harnesses were almost laughably bad. I mean just look at them! How the hell does that happen?

All hope is not lost but damn, I'm not sure what to do with this one. My OCD-Challenge self wants to untangle the wires and see if I can get it "working" so I started that. Only to discover that a lot of the female Jones receptacles popped off the plates so, dammit... have no idea what goes where (I might if the mice hadn't destroyed all the schematics).
But the mice weren't the only culprits: someone had deliberately cut the wiring on all of the 10-bank drops and nearby bulbs. A few mangled switches too.
Yet for all this, what about the playfield? It looks recoverable... or is it? I mean I've seen and played worse. I've arguably fixed worse. But something about this has me a little uncertain.
I'm still tempted to see if I can get it running "as found" just because I'm a fucking idiot who enjoys the occasional exercise in futility. Like if I could get it working, MAYBE I'd be motivated to tackle a pf restore.
Anyway. Just posting a ramble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, I'm not sure where I'm at on this one here.
The best news is the cabinet isn't rancid or anything, it wasn't smelly and gross and neither is the rest. So I'll probably do a Lysol spraydown and let it disinfect in driveway sunlight while I figure the rest of the damage and road ahead.
Any advice or encouragment... or wise DIScouragment... is welcome!

I hope you didn't pay $275 for it! I wouldn't want something that disgusting even for free. It must smell really bad. Best of luck with it though. You might want to Google "hanta virus" before going any farther, but you've already gotten into it quite a way.
I have been looking for one of those Krause repro playfields for years. Haven't come across one yet. Maybe he should do a rerun on it.

#21 6 years ago

You know, the cabinet doesn't look all that bad. It would be too much of a project for me at this point, so I'd probably part it out and chuck a lot of it away.

#25 6 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see where you said it's not smelly. Westley's Bleche White works great on cabinets. It's pretty nasty stuff, so wear gloves and goggles when using it. I usually lay the cabinet on it's side on sawhorses, and do small sections at a time scrubbing with a toothbrush.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Nevermind those nattering nabobs of negativism - go ahead and make El Doo-doo-rude-o shine again!

That would be "nattering naybobs of negativity".
I too would love to see this game brought back. It would just be a little beyond what I would be willing to take on.
Where is "boilerman"? He did an "El Dorado" that was caught in a house fire. It came out fantastic!

2 weeks later
#54 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I vote to clean, disinfect, & play. The wear tells a story about the pin's rescue. Maybe clear it to lock in the paint.

Yeah, just clean it really good, but I don't know if I'd use any type of water based product. Maybe alcohol and some 4X steel wool lightly.
Then just touch it up as good as you can, seal it with a spray can clear, and play it until you find a better playfield.

11 months later
#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

On the "nails" in the corners...right?!?! I always wondered why too. Tradition?

I don't think the manufacturers would spend money to install a part for "tradition", but I do refer to these as "vestigial pins".
I believe their only function is to keep the ball from clonking into the corner of the card tray and wood rail; to somewhat gently deflect the ball.
Just a guess really.

Nice work on the woodgraining, circlez.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

It's actually in better shape than the Subway I parted out recently.

Really? Wow. Too bad. "Subway" is a really sweet game. Hey, do you still have the card tray from it?

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

ebay.com link » Gottlieb Subway And Others Pinball Apron
Not in great shape. It didn't sell yet.

Link takes me to a "Spirit of '76" knocker. Don't see the card tray.

#85 5 years ago

Yeah, that card tray is a bit rough. I could use one for a "Hurdy Gurdy", but mine is actually much better.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Hah, rest assured the apron and shooter gauge from this project are both beyond rough as well. Almost garbage in fact... but not something to worry too much about at this point I guess

Strip, paint and apply new decals available from Pinball Rescue.
Mine is actually quite good, but someone gouged a rough hole in it so that a credit lamp could shine through it indicating a single credit. I'll just have to fill it in, or somehow diguise it.

20180523_144018 (resized).jpg20180523_144018 (resized).jpg
#89 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Duct Tape on the back. A fake operators sticker on the front.

They had a '70s type coin entry sticker over the hole to indicate two plays for a quarter. The game has been modified for this pricing, but I'm going to remove all the extra wiring and unit to return it to one play for ten cents.
I feel like we're hijacking this thread, so that's all from me about my game.
Let's see some further progress on that "El Dorado", OP!

2 months later
#93 5 years ago

You sir, are awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-275-el-doh-rah-no?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.