(Topic ID: 191588)

City o'Turds to playable Gold: Shouda-burned-it El Dorado: Gameplay video!

By goingincirclez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mark532011
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190325_213554 (resized).jpg
20190324_235703 (resized).jpg
Flipper (resized).jpg
IMG_2522 (resized).JPG
20190320_223939 (resized).jpg
20190321_084745 (resized).jpg
20190321_084753 (resized).jpg
20190319_233933 (resized).jpg
20190319_233949 (resized).jpg
20190319_233801 (resized).jpg
20190319_233853 (resized).jpg
20190319_233840 (resized).jpg
20190319_233832 (resized).jpg
Engineering (resized).png
20190319_084635 (resized).jpg
20190319_084716 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 5 years ago

WOW. What a great thread. I really like this restore and the past bad cats one too. I think you are a bit too hard on yourself or maybe too humble. Because, you're doing great work... Yes, maybe not the best restoration ever. But, this is by far leaps and bounds better than the original condition. And I think you've inspired me to try more on my own pins. Because, heck... So long as I'm careful and not stupid, I should be able to make it better and not worse. So really cool. Really, really cool stuff. And I liked how you fixed the drop target.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Thank you. Yes, I'm permanently hard-wired (with reinforcement from my upbringing) to be probably more than hard on myself. Which is not to say I'm not proud of the work I do, but... compared to most of what gets hyped and liked on this site, most folks wouldn't give my efforts the time of day. There's always someone far better than I can hope to be, so I stay realistic and do what I can within my limitations. But the work is self-gratifying. And I won't lie, nods from folks who understand and/or appreciate it is more so. Speaking of that Bad Cats, it made enough of an impression when I took it to Louisville Expo a couple weeks ago, that I caught a few people surprised that it was "hand done", and it even made national news, oops... so maybe I know what I'm doing after all. But the next project always proves I don't know everything, so I just do what I can and learn from it.

I am rubbish with mechanical and anything woodworking. I do have a background in computer repair as my 9-5 job is a computer tech. I also own my own comic business where I write/produce and create my own independent comics.
The reasons why I bring that up, is because I am terrified of working on my own pins. And when I read threads like yours. It gives me hope.
As I think sometimes we want our pins to stay perfect and pristine... But, the only way that can happen is, if they stay covered with a sheet out of the light and never played.
And so I need to remind myself. If something isn't working or if it is broken or battered or weathered. Not to be so afraid and timid of attempting a repair. Because as long as I keep my wits about me, I can't really make it worse. Even if it doesn't wind up being a 100% restore. If it looks better. Than that is a win.

And your restorations remind me of an old story I once read. About a person who couldn't figure out what to paint. And he sat their pondering hours on end what to paint. Until someone took his brush and just splattered lots of colors and paint on the canvas. Then he realized. Now it doesn't matter what I paint. Anything I do will be better than this mess. The message is just get started and don't worry so much. Or as I say break the white.

And I think that holds true to pinball repair. Really like what you did with this pin. You brought it back to life. And who cares if it isn't perfect. It looks nice now. And it is a somewhat classic layout. And a drop target lovers dream.
I hope to be able to do what you do one day. As I hope to restore pins with my brother and one of my friends.
And I think you are a good role model for what a pinhead should be. So keep up the good work. And hopefully when you're done with this restore. You can have another one that you and your daughters can work on...
And I hope you will never run out of space for restoring pinballs. As I think these pins could be a great thing to pass down to your children.

#167 5 years ago

Congrats... Sounds like you're done with it. You brought a machine back from the dead, and you did so on a budget, and it still looks fabulous.
Really like the wood trim on the apron. Its a bit gawdy and tacky in the late 70s and early 80s vibe, and that is a good thing as I loved the atari wood grain consoles, and it totally fits the theme.
Right now I'm carefully looking out for a nice project pin for me and my brother, due to your inspiration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-275-el-doh-rah-no?tu=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.