(Topic ID: 265434)

A-20207.1 Fliptronics Opto board - can the optos be replaced?

By RoyF

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RoyF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200331_182816 (resized).jpg
    20200331_182802 (resized).jpg
    20200331_182727 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have an A-20207.1 Fliptronics opto board. Came from a MB, but many Bally/Williams 90s games used these. One of the optos is no longer working. Cleaning did not help, reflowing solder did not help. Problem is definitely on the board. Anyway, I went to replace the U shaped opto package and discovered that the opto used on this board has 2 legs on the Collector side, but 3 legs on the Emitter side! The optos in my spare parts are the TCST 1103s, which have only 2 pins on each side. I removed the malfunctioning opto from the board, and yes all 3 pins on the Emitter side were attached to various traces on the board.

Fortunately, I know I can get a replacement populated board here: https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-type-2-opto-board-replacement.html. But I always like to repair if possible.

Is there a replacement opto available for this board, and an available source for that part? I looked in the MB manual, and it describes both the Left flipper opto and the Right flipper opto as "A-16908 (LED) and A-16909 (Photo Trans)" which is obviously wrong. The parts list explosion on IPDB didn't go lower than the flipper opto board assembly. So, I don't have a part number for that opto part.

Can one of the TCST 1103s with only 2 legs on each end be used in some fashion as a replacement opto for the A-20207.1 board, and if so how should it be wired to the board?

20200331_182727 (resized).jpg20200331_182727 (resized).jpg20200331_182802 (resized).jpg20200331_182802 (resized).jpg20200331_182816 (resized).jpg20200331_182816 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Hmm, looks like it might be right, has the correct number of legs! In this case though it costs more than the full replacement board from Pinballlife which I'm sure will work, so probably won't order that from Marco.

Would still like to know - can one of the TCST 1103s with only 2 legs on each end be used in some fashion as a replacement opto for the A-20207.1 board, and if so how should it be wired to the board?

#5 4 years ago

Form factor not right on the part from Mouser, definitely won't fit on the board.

Part from Digikey is not in stock. I don't know enough to analyze the data sheet for compatibility.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Messed that up somehow.

Even so, I appreciate your willingness to help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-202071-fliptronics-opto-board-can-the-optos-be-replaced?tu=RoyF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.