• Latest reply 9 years ago by TrainH2o
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (19).jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am tryign to find a coil that is one or two notches hotter than the A-20099 coil (used for trap door on TOM along with others) but I cant seem to find it listed in any of the charts. I am having trouble with the trap door remaining up, and wanted to try a stronger (flipper) coil to see if it will address the problem. Can anyone tell me which coils would be comparable (but stronger)? Thanks a lot!

#2 9 years ago

What's the detail on the problem??

Did you see this thread?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tom-trap-door-wont-stay-up

faz

#3 9 years ago

The other thread dealt with a trap door that didn't open fully.

If yours opens fully, yet doesn't hold it could be:
1. The hold portion of the coil could be shorted, or hold wire broken off the coil lugs.
2. The adjustment at the bottom of the bracket needs adjustment.
3. Possibly bad driver transistor, since it has to provide power to the coil for it to hold.

I would double check the coil stop and sleeve, while your down there. I doubt it has much to do with the hold issue, but worth check out, especially if you are going to be ordering parts.

#4 9 years ago

Faz - thanks for the link, missed that thread when searching, and very helpful in giving me a strong coil option.

My problem is listed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-tom-trap-door-failure

Train - thanks for the continued assistance. I dont recall any adjustment on the bracket, could you be a bit more specific? Given it worked before, this sounds like it may be the solution?

Thanks guys, your support is so helpful, would be lost without you

#5 9 years ago

Could you post a photo of the assembly? My TOM is at my parent's house, and I was working from memory. I was thinking it had an adjustable stop at the bottom, but I could be thinking about another bracket.

#6 9 years ago

This coil has two parts. The high voltage part kicks the trap door up, and the low power part, holds it open. It works the same as a flipper coil. That's why you can hold a flipper up for a long time. Assuming the EOS switch is functioning properly, the coil doesn't melt or blow a fuse.

If it opens fully but doesn't hold, switching to a more powerful coil isn't the solution unless the coil itself is bad.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks train, appreciate the thoughts/knowledge, makes perfect sense. Will check it out when home tonight and report back

#8 9 years ago

I just had a thought, is the spring missing? There should be a spring on the bottom of the assembly, above the rubber grommet.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from stabulldogs:

Faz - thanks for the link, missed that thread when searching, and very helpful in giving me a strong coil option.

Yes, but as you can see, stating the problem rather than your solution will give you a whole slew of options. This is a great community with a ton of experience.

Good luck!
faz

#10 9 years ago

Train, see pic of the assembly here, is this what you remember? And yes, spring is there

Faz, I agree, this community is unbelievable!

photo (19).jpgphoto (19).jpg
#11 9 years ago

OK no, there is no adjustable stop.

If this is your assembly, the coil does look little strange. Look at the gap difference between the top and bottom of the coil bracket. Not sure this is a problem, but it looks odd. Do you have the manual that you can look up a diagram of that entire assembly? I would make sure it's put together correctly for sure.

J107-2 provides the hold power to the trap door solenoid. I would make sure that you have good continuity between J107-2 and the lug that brown/blue wire is attached to. The drive transistor looks to be Q48. You could always test that as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-20099-coil-strength-comparison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.