(Topic ID: 194282)

A-14039 Dot Matrix Controller RAM Speed

By ArcadeTechNerd

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Just wondering if anyone had run into this and/or had an opinion.

Had an issue on a TZ with 'garbage' dots on the display, run the diags and get "RAM Test Failed".

OK, simple enough. Go the the manual and the part is called out as a S/RAM 2064 150NS. Order a couple of the chips and once they arrive I pull the old chip, install a good quality IC socket, (never want to repeat surgery at the same place on a PCB if it can be avoided) and install the new chip.

Put the board back in the machine and light it up. Yay! No 'garbage' dots and the diags pass. However I notice a new oddity after a few games. Now there is 'snow' on the display when it is actively being updated. Random flurries of half lit dots but only when the display is being updated. If the display is static, all is well. Do not recall seeing this before.

This to me feels like an access speed issue with the S/RAM. The parts I ordered were not some odd 'off-brand', so I am wondering if perhaps the speed indicated in the manual is incorrect? Maybe should have been a 100NS (or 120NS) part? Granted, I could have gotten one out of spec (slow) part but if I swap it out with the other from the order the 'snow' is still there.

Trying not to believe that I got Murphy'd on both chips... Figured it would be worth the ask before I ordered some faster parts.

Thoughts?

#3 6 years ago

Nope... In my case the image on the display is correct at all times but the flickering dots ('snow') are seen randomly around the screen when the display is being updated. (score change, animation, etc...)

When the display is not actively changing the 'snow' vanishes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-14039-dot-matrix-controller-ram-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.