Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Dawson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I have a dim 6 digit LED display on the 'ol Genie ... has anyone ever used this system?

any pointers ,

http://www.pinballmedic.net/techtips.html#Old_Gott_Displays

thanks

Dawson

#2 12 years ago

I have although instead of a battery I used a 12V regulated power supply. I must admit that it was a bit nerve wracking. I feared an immanent meltdown but in the end it worked fine. I believe the duration was in lower end of that listed.

The results were an improvement but not a complete recovery. Maybe a longer zap would improve things even more but I didn't want to push it.

Let us know how well it works for you.

#3 12 years ago

I've rejuvenated dozens of displays using this technique. Works well. Some recommend using 6.3 VAC versus 9 to 12 VDC.
Have never tried 6.3 VAC but I have several displays that I will try it on.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

dim 6 digit LED display

This is NOT for LED displays.
This is for old style numeric displays made and used in the dark ages before LEDs were bright enough to use as displays.

#5 12 years ago

right on

those are not LEDS .......so like the DR said dont use tem on those .....My BAd

#6 12 years ago

L.E.D. = Light Emitting Diode
Gottlieb System 1 and 80 used florescent gas displays. The 9v battery heats up the filament wires inside the tube and burns off a layer of ash, corrosion and oxidation which makes it fire off the gas brighter again... for a while

#7 12 years ago

any long term problems ?

#8 12 years ago

You will have to re-brighten them about every year to 1 1/2yr on average.

#9 12 years ago

Eventually the filaments become too thin and just blow open. Then you've got a dead display. Rejuventaing them does tend to shorten their life a wee bit.

#10 12 years ago

so would one use a 9V battery like the ones that go into a smoke detector ?

or use a 6V battery that would go into a large flashlight?

#11 12 years ago

Either will work fine. The trick is to watch the filaments. Leave the battery on till you see them glow red. If you see it glow orange, yellow, or white then you're leaving it connected way too long and getting to the burn out stage. Get 'er to red and then disconnect the battery immediately. Takes a few seconds only.

#12 12 years ago

Some very nice info - thanks for sharing guys

#13 12 years ago

yes thanks

great info from all

I will give it a go

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9v-trick-to-brighten-up-system-1-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.