• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gerty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi All-
Just got a Star Pool. I was told "works great". LOL! I discovered any time the 10 point relay is activated either by (2) kicker switches, spinner relay, and the 50 point relay. it stays pulled in and on. This also holds the medium chime coil on as well.(bad) The 10 point coil will also stay pulled when I just activate the relay in the backbox separately. When this is pulsed on and holds, it does not pulse the 10 point score reel on any of the 4 players for some reason. When it is open, I can get the chime to pulse and the pulse to the 100 point reel by jumping those contacts in the relay (when the 9th position switch on the 10 point drum unit is in que). However I can't get the 10 point score wheel relay to pulse by jumping the contacts

Also a similar issue happens when the spinner relay pulls in. It stays in. As an aside this relay pulses the 10 point as well causing the aforementioned issue too.
I have looked at everything closely and am stumped at the moment. I understand the pulse from the 10 point relay goes through the player unit. That seems to look OK. But we all know looks are deceiving!.
Any direction you folks can point me would help. I do have the schematics as well as the instruction manual.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the link, good read. I will re-examine the score reels. Howard, I started to chase that circuit already but I will say I did not look at the tilt relay. I'll follow that as well. I'll keep you posted!

#5 6 years ago

I seem to have progress sort of. I went back looked at (cleaned & gaped) the 1st player score reel EOS et al. Did the same with the tilt relay make/break switch. Now I can activate the 10 point relay manually and the coil won't stick. In addition when I score a 10 point on a slingshot it pulses the 10 point relay and does not stick. In each event however I still get nothing at the 10 point score reel on any player. I checked continuity through the player unit and it appears to be ok. The area I need to look at now I believe is the spinner relay. When I activate that relay either by hand or by the spinner switch, it holds on as well. Since it pulses the 10 point relay, it too holds in and of course no score and a medium chime holding on too.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks Howard. I'm assuming that EOS switch is on the advance unit. I'm having trouble finding it anywhere else. I did clean and gap that one. I discovered the coil was also missing a screw and was lose. I was able to get the spinner to work intermittently however still not perfect. I'll double check gaps and clean again. Still nothing on the 10 point issue. I need to look some more at the 10 point relay and closely examine I gather.

#10 6 years ago

Howard- I did locate the EOS on the spinner Advance unit, cleaned and adjusted. The wire color was correct. Interestingly though one of the wires had a piece of black tape over it as a new insulator suggesting some issue prior. I will say I do have the 10 point score working on the other players now it seems. Clearly need to look at first player again. I just rubbered up and waxed so I'm actually testing things by game play. I am seeing several playfield switches that are sporadic and in need of cleaning and adjusting. It shows me this game has not been serviced in forever. I'm used to my games- played and maintained.

Briehl, when I power down, everything returns to the at rest position. I'm smoking a pork tenderloin today so I have the time to pull the 10 point reel and see what's up. I'll keep you folks posted. Thanks so much.

2 weeks later
#11 6 years ago

An update: I went over the entire machine. The issue with the 10 point score was related to the EOS on both the score reel and the advance unit. I have played about 50 games or so and all is good. It is a fun game. And boy with a rebuilt chime box it sings! LOL

For the $130 I paid for the game the playfield is an A- the backglass a B+. The cabinet was repainted correctly just not perfectly, it's a decent players machine. I'm going to give it to my young nephews so they can get the "bug" like the rest of us.

My next issue is what machine to tackle next? Pioneer, Space Mission , or my King Kool? LOL All are in great shape just need shopping and someone to play them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gerty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/974-star-pool-10-point-relay-holding?tu=gerty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.