(Topic ID: 68014)

$9,500 for a Medieval Madness in southeast Pa.

By TaTa

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

19.jpg
image-501.jpg
image-867.jpg

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

If the PPS remake sucks, he's absolutely better off keeping it. If PPS knocks it out of the part and the MMLE's are what they are being sold as, he's going to wish he took what he could get today for it.

It's a crapshoot.

Quoted from Williampinball:

keep your MM as I am keeping my also ,don't listen to all the hype out there your better off with yours as they can't make the machines like the Original one is .

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If PPS knocks it out of the part

I'm still trying to figure out where the "parts" are coming from.

#153 6 years ago

what if the mm refake turns out like all the next gen parts did? how many people have bought the next gen translights and been happy with them? most aftermarket parts suck.

#154 6 years ago

Yea that's why I think the new MM won't be the same at all

#155 6 years ago

Tell that to people paying big bucks for high end restores. I think they'd disagree with you.

Quoted from garyspinballs:

most aftermarket parts suck.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think you are doing the right thing. Keep your MM and forget about what the game is worth.
I've got other clients who ordered the MMr and only could get $7500 for their old MM, so no sense beating yourself up over the price.
Enjoy your MM !!!!!!!!

Here, Here!

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yea that's why I think the new MM won't be the same at all

I'm curious. Since you seem to love late 90s technology so much, are you viewing this site on a old Pentium machine running windows 95 and Netscape 2.0. How's that working for you?

#158 6 years ago

yes i know it is always better to change a whole control board rather that change a light bulb

#159 6 years ago

There is almost as many Trolls in this thread then all 1000 MMR. That goes for both camps.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Tell that to people paying big bucks for high end restores. I think they'd disagree with you.

No they don't. A lot of the repro parts do, in fact, suck. The high end restorers often have to deal with all kinds of different issues with these parts to make them fit/work as they should. Chris has gone over a lot of these issues in some of his prior videos.

#161 6 years ago

good luck on the sale

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I'm starting to reconsider this sale after reading all the threads out there. Not to mention all the bruising I've had to endure. I'm starting to believe what many of you have PM me. That I should hold on to my original MM and not listen to all the hype that is out there. If you have seen the pics, then you know that this machine ,for the price, is a really good deal. If you're in the market for a Cubic Zirconia(MMR), then this is not for you. If you want the real deal Diamond(MM), then this could be the deal you've been waiting for! I'm not one who is against the remake. I'm happy more people will be able to experience the hobby and know the joy it brings to all of us. If you've been to a pinball related event lately then you know that we're a dying breed. We need all the help we can get from everything and everyone to infuse more youth into this hobby. If not, all our machines will be worthless. Who's coming up behind us to buy these machines? It's just coming down to preference at this time. My only question is though... If the two machines are perceived by many as equal to its original counter part, has the same rule set and will aesthetically look the same ( minus Williams logo), then why have they been sub titled into MM vrs MMR. One reason comes to mind... they're not the same! Thus, comparing the prices between the two is impossible to do.

I'd keep it man. I have an original and will not be trading it for one.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

New Coke did win taste tests over Coke Classic but the tests were flawed just as the "Pepsi Challenge" tests were flawed. The taste tests involved tiny cups of each (maybe 2 or 3 ounces). The sweeter New Coke and Pepsi tested better in these small doses however people drink 12ounces or more at a time. And with that much soda Pepsi and New Coke are too sweet and tested poorly over the smooth toned down taste of Classic Coke. As a cola affectionado I agree with this. Same reason sodas with corn syrup are not as good or smooth tasting as those with sugar plus they have a funky aftertaste. Funny thing is that when Classic Coke came back it came back with corn syrup and not sugar. I will only drink Mexican coke.

The Mexican Coke with real sugar is noticeably better. I always grab a bottle whenever I find it.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

The Mexican Coke with real sugar is noticeably better. I always grab a bottle whenever I find it.

The whole Coke 2, Original Coke deal back in the 80's is when they switched from real sugar to corn syrup and then said original is still original. Coke 2 had corn syrup, then that disappeared and started putting it in the original.

#165 6 years ago

Well, I only read the very first and very last posts, but asking for a 20% "bonus" for an original MM seems reasonable to me. Everyone of us will have a different opinion on what "original" vs "repro" brings. To me it adds value, even against NIB MMr. To some it would add more, to others nothing - the new one having newer technology: the repro could be better in many aspects - who knows? Opinions will change once the new MMr "floods" the market.

In the meantime, give the OP a break...GLWS or GLWKI (keeping it )

And I have absolutely no horse in that game. Although I enjoy the game, I don't own it, never did, and don't wish to - still above my price range.

#166 6 years ago

Thanks... Sunday morning bump!

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No they don't. A lot of the repro parts do, in fact, suck. The high end restorers often have to deal with all kinds of different issues with these parts to make them fit/work as they should. Chris has gone over a lot of these issues in some of his prior videos.

Excellent point. In fact there were a few parts that darn near make a game unplayable with ramps needing to be filed down or balls were flying off trails. Will be interesting and my guess is there will be some eye openers.

#168 6 years ago

“Ah Bartleby, Ah Humanity!”

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Ok, sooo that's what I'm doing... debating. What's the problem?

Debating in general, not meaning you.

Seller is better off trying to sell this through other channels maybe? Pinside is tapped into this subculture pretty strongly, and most are aware of MM and MMR (potential) availability, so I think for now anyone selling an MM for over 8k will have a hard sell.

#170 6 years ago

Is that why they use them? Because they suck so bad? Some parts aren't perfect so they require modifications, and some parts have gotten better over the years, but to say most suck is dumb.

if replacement parts were so bad, they'd refurb the original parts more often. I've seen the HEP MM play field videos. Yah, they messed up a hole, and he had to widen the shooter lane etc, but that doesn't mean it sucks, it just means it's not plug and play.

It's okay that the value of your MM isn't once what it was, play and enjoy.

Quoted from RobT:

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Is that why they use them? Because they suck so bad? Some parts aren't perfect so they require modifications, and some parts have gotten better over the years, but to say most suck is dumb.

They use them because they usually have no choice. Where are they going to get NOS green Martian targets for example? The repros SUCK. I have no idea why you are so offended by the use of the word "suck". It's a generalization.

Speaking of dumb. You are hilarious.

Quoted from jalpert:

I've seen the HEP MM play field videos. Yah, they messed up a hole, and he had to widen the shooter lane etc, but that doesn't mean it sucks, it just means it's not plug and play.

So this whole argument comes down to your definition of what "sucks" means.

Shit not fitting correctly, like it should...that kinda SUCKS.

Quoted from jalpert:

It's okay that the value of your MM isn't once what it was, play and enjoy.

Could you be any more petty?

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where are they going to get NOS green Martian targets for example? The repros SUCK.

They sure do,

and the reproduction pop bumper bodies are totally opaque, not allowing the playfield to be illuminated.

#173 6 years ago

Sunday night bump!

#174 6 years ago

You are the one who is petty Just saying that it's okay to have an original MM, it's still a fun game.

Quoted from RobT:

Could you be any more petty?

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They sure do,
and the reproduction pop bumper bodies are totally opaque, not allowing the playfield to be illuminated.

Exactly.

Quoted from jalpert:

You are the one who is petty Just saying that it's okay to have an original MM, it's still a fun game.

The quote above is overflowing with irony.

#176 6 years ago

wow, this place sounds a lot more like the haters of klov than pinside.
what a shame...

#177 6 years ago

I would love to have either one.

#178 6 years ago

Reading this last page, if I didn't know the title of this thread, I would almost never guess it was a FS thread.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Reading this last page, if I didn't know the title of this thread, I would almost never guess it was a FS thread.

Really? Happens all the time...

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

It matters...

Only to the types of people that spend $6,300 on late model NIB Stern Pros. Not normal people.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Only to the types of people that spend $6,300 on late model NIB Stern Pros. Not normal people.

What about the normal stalkers like yourself? Make sure you clean my windows while you're peeping...

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

The quote above is overflowing with irony.

Irony is a river in Africa!

Oops. That's de-Nile!

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

What about the normal stalkers like yourself? Make sure you clean my windows while your peeping...

Omg, no way! You live in a glass house! That'll take too long. Stop talkin' and start Stalkin'!

2 weeks later
#185 5 years ago

I find it completey halarious that every nay sayer on the new MM's are trying to come up with every reason and excuse to discount a reproduction of a previous game as being something that will be inferior to the original when its not even close to coming out yet.

Some of you need to share with the rest of us where you shop for those crystal balls you have.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

I find it completey halarious that every nay sayer on the new MM's are trying to come up with every reason and excuse to discount a reproduction of a previous game as being something that will be inferior to the original when its not even close to coming out yet.

I don't consider myself a "MM remake naysayer", as I think it's great for anyone who just wants the play the game. It is the overall design, rules, and especially sounds (IMO) after all that make the game so popular.

But to say that a remake is the same or even better as an original is silly. A remake is a copy. All of the original game-specific parts are copies. Ramps, plastics, cabinet artwork, playfield, etc. The only thing that could be made "better" than the original IMO is the ramps, but they're not using the upgraded (thicker) ramps on the remake. Maybe the dragon wings too. WPC-95 boards were never much of a problem so I don't think there's much room for improvement there.

I've seen repro MM playfields, repro castle parts, repro translites, repro cab decals...never have I seen any of these look better than the original. And how could they? They're scanned/molded/copied from the original.

Many repro parts are very different from the original. Look at these WH20 canyon plastics below for example. Make a whole machine like this (which MMR will not be to this degree, I'm sure) and you get something quite different from the original, but it will still play the same and look nicer than a really beat original game.

To get back on topic to this thread, I haven't seen the machine for sale so I don't know whether it's worth buying over a remake or not GLWS either way, OP.

19.jpg

#187 5 years ago

Same game in a new and better housing. Forget remake and think that.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from garyspinballs:

what if the mm refake turns out like all the next gen parts did? how many people have bought the next gen translights and been happy with them? most aftermarket parts suck.

Please enlighten us as to all of the aftermarket parts that suck. I will gladly forward that information to PPS so that they can comment or correct whatever spec the parts do not meet compared to the original drawings.

Maybe the aftermarket manufacturers of the playfields had some dimensions off spec?

#189 5 years ago

I guess MMR is an "aftermarket" MM. Fine with me.

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside