Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Jvspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3535.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 11 years ago

I would say Jack is betting on being able to sell all The Hobbit LEs for $7500 given the current market and competition. He might be thinking ...why leave 1.5 million on the table by selling out with pre-orders at $6500?

Time will tell if he is right.

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from 2LiveCrew:

$7500 is a lot of money. You can buy a lot of games with $7500 cash around here, why buy just one if you can purchase 2 nice games. Twice the fun.

As others have said, for $7500 you could buy five great games if you include older SS or em games. For many of us though, space is a big issue. Also, if you've played/owned the older games already and just want something new you have to pay the going rate.

So, I think it's more appropriate to compare the relative values of one new game to another new game.

To compare the relative values of one new game to x number of old games is a different argument, IMHO.

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, but pinball prices havn't gone up because labor and materials went up. They went up on pure profit margin....(with no improvement or added features from the old games TSPP, Sopranos, LOTR, RCT). Which means they are making mass profit right now. Jack announces another price increase. Again, Stern follows suite.

You're being generous here, I would say the latest Stern titles are closer to 75% the machine TSPP is. Just take a moment to objectively compare the features.

At least JJP is putting out a machine that's closer to 125% the machine TSPP is (maybe even more?).

Of course, this doesn't equate to more fun but it's certainly more expensive to manufacture.

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I agree TSPP has a ton of stuff on it everywhere and the newer Stern titles look like a barren wasteland compared to those early years. They are a lot better now, than they were during the RS, IM, NBA and BBH era tho. Those are the econo years of Stern. Like the AFM time for B/W.

Agreed, and I'm glad to see Stern continuing to improve their games.

AFM is a great example that a game doesn't need to have a ton of stuff in it to be good. When it first came out I avoided it because the playfield looked so empty. Once I gave it a try though, I was surprised at how much fun it was.

It really demonstrated to me how much sound, humor and rules can contribute to the fun of a game.

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I would say the latest Stern titles are closer to 75% the machine TSPP is. Just take a moment to objectively compare the features.
    At least JJP is putting out a machine that's closer to 125% the machine TSPP is (maybe even more?).
    Of course, this doesn't equate to more fun but it's certainly more expensive to manufacture.

Continuing this line of thinking one step further.....

If we do not consider the intangibles like theme, programming, sound and playfield layout, as these things are subjective.

Instead, if we just look at what is going into the machine and conservatively say the JJP standard is about 130% of the latest Stern premium. Then, if Stern premium is $6000, the WOZ standard should be comparably valued at $6000x1.30=$7800.

Or conversely, if JJP standard is $7000 then Stern premium should be $7000/1.3 = $5385.

Note, I did not include the LE editions because more of their value is based on intangibles.

#120 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Currently my BOM comparison puts WOZ at about 140-150% of ACDC Premium simply from playfield features, and by the time you take into account the LCD, RGB lighting, construction quality and so forth... even more.
    Interestingly, the BOM comparison for Metallica LE doesn't end up being any more than ACDC LE - just used better.

Not to mention the additional expense of a widebody versus a standard body. I just wanted to show that if you go beyond things that are subjective, even a conservative estimate makes a JJP machine look like a better value.

A more realistic estimate might cause people to start picking apart the numbers.

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Your numbers are skewed for the fact that Stern machines would still have the Full version around $4400 right now if it wasn't for Jacks $6500 price announcement. So the proper pricing if you feel jacks game is 130% of a Stern. It should be based upon what the normal current Stern price would have been at this point.

I don't think my numbers are skewed because I'm not talking about what could have, would have or should have been.

I'm talking about the way things are at present.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/95-on-woz-at-patz?tu=jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.