(Topic ID: 280218)

91% Alcohol Source?

By Skidave

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

betsy 001 (resized).JPG
    DAFCBC70-A83E-44BC-802D-A6A285E5CD16 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7288 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.43.28 PM (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

I'm getting low on 91% and I use it for many of my hobbies. Anyone found a good source for purchase? All local CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, Target, etc do not have it available.

Anyone get some from Amazon?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

I'm getting low on 91% and I use it for many of my hobbies. Anyone found a good source for purchase? All local CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, Target, etc do not have it available.
    Anyone get some from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/10oz-Pure-Isopropyl-Alcohol-91/dp/B08L8JS1LP/ref=sr_1_4_sspa

#3 3 years ago

I just bought some at my local walmart. They had a bunch. Not sure why your area is low.

#4 3 years ago

My CVS had some for a very short period of time. I happen to buy 4 bottles then.

#5 3 years ago

Recently bought 4 32oz 99% bottles off Amazon. Took 4 weeks to receive. Not a hoarder, use it to sterilize shears at the farm.

#6 3 years ago

Vi-Jon, Inc 8515 Page Ave, St Louis, MO 63114 phone: (314) 427-1000 makes the Swan brand 99% and 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol carried by Kroger and Fred Meyer stores. The 99% is what I get and it's barcode # 308691206108.

#7 3 years ago

I was going to say I ordered three 32 oz. bottles from Rite Aid's website a couple weeks ago and they arrived for about $15 total including shipping, but looks like they are out of stock at the moment.

I gave up looking on every store shelf, but plenty of online outlets still sell it.

#8 3 years ago

The Walgreens around here keep it hidden behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

#9 3 years ago

its hard to find 70% around here - mostly sells out same day they stock the shelf, haven't seen any 91% in Atlanta since this whole BS started

#10 3 years ago

Can I ask what 91% alcohol is used for?

#11 3 years ago

This is some good s*&%t!

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.43.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.43.28 PM (resized).png
    #12 3 years ago

Popcorn Sutton

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Cleaning pinball parts. And pouring on cuts you might get from fixing pinball machines.

#14 3 years ago

Everclear made a killer fruit punch when I was a teanager . Use real juice and very light touch sweet bourbon . Very popular with the women !

Enjoy the day Shane

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I personally use it for cleaning 3D printer beds as it helps a lot with adhesion (at least with the newer Creality beds).

Can't find it around here either :/

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was going to say I ordered three 32 oz. bottles from Rite Aid's website a couple weeks ago and they arrived for about $15 total including shipping, but looks like they are out of stock at the moment.
    I gave up looking on every store shelf, but plenty of online outlets still sell it.

I may deserve a lot of the downvotes I get, but really?

DSCN7288 (resized).JPGDSCN7288 (resized).JPG
    #17 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Quoted from Medisinyl:

I personally use it for cleaning 3D printer beds as it helps a lot with adhesion (at least with the newer Creality beds).
    Can't find it around here either :/

The 91% alcohol is also the best stuff to use to clean bowling balls with (the high-end ones with reactive resin coverstocks) versus 70%. The 70 contains oils that can affect skid distance and the hook/flare potential of these balls on today's synthetic bowling lanes & the oil patterns applied to them.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

This is some good s*&%t!
    [quoted image]

your avatar would make his own

#19 3 years ago

Read the MSDS sheets for the product. Alcohol and distilled water.

#20 3 years ago

At $12 / gal, I like this brand.

DAFCBC70-A83E-44BC-802D-A6A285E5CD16 (resized).jpegDAFCBC70-A83E-44BC-802D-A6A285E5CD16 (resized).jpeg
    #21 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I use 99% for cleaning circuit boards and also degreasing pinball parts like flipper assemblies where some asshole has greased everything.

#22 3 years ago

I started running low a couple of months ago and haven't been able to find any locally. Today I finally saw some 70% but it just isn't the same.

#23 3 years ago

I just drove by our local Orvac's electronics store and they have a big sign out front saying they have isopropyl alcohol in stock.

Gallon size looks to be the best deal.

http://www.orvac.com/Catalog/Cleaners/3150.html

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Everclear made a killer fruit punch when I was a teanager . Use real juice and very light touch sweet bourbon . Very popular with the women !

Yeah, that's what I remember too....and the best part was you couldn't taste it in the punch and people who drank it never know what hit them. We were bad kids back then.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Cleaning pinball parts. And pouring on cuts you might get from fixing pinball machines.

Just use superglue on the cuts. Works great!

#26 3 years ago

I can't find it anywhere around here.
    I'm going to get me some Everclear.

#28 3 years ago

My grocery store is completely out of all Iso alcohol as well....

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

91% Alcohol Source?

My liver, if you were to wring it out. But there's also quote a few on Amazon. Is 99% better? Seem to be about the same price, and this one below is a decent value.

https://www.amazon.com/Ecoxall-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Gallon/dp/B01IWKBJWC/ref=sr_1_9

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:Just use superglue on the cuts. Works great!

two words ... duct tape

#31 3 years ago

Your local paint shop, like Sherwin Williams has gallon cans of Isopropyl Alcohol.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I use 99% for cleaning circuit boards and also degreasing pinball parts like flipper assemblies where some asshole has greased everything.

that's Preparation H

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

that's Preparation H

Lately, that is the only thing that works after visiting pinside.

Where's Claud Akins when you need him?

#34 3 years ago

I'm sure you guys all know, but don't confuse 91% isopropol alcohol for ethanol (Everclear). One you can drink. The other will kill you if ingested! They are two very different kinds of alcohol.

#35 3 years ago

Yeah, out of stock locally here. I ordered some from Amazon, but who knows when it will get here.

#36 3 years ago

I gallon (4 quarts) $24.50 shipped on ebay.
    ebay.com link: i

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I'm sure you guys all know, but don't confuse 91% isopropol alcohol for ethanol (Everclear). One you can drink. The other will kill you if ingested! They are two very different kinds of alcohol.

That's why I'm going to get some Everclear. It's dual purpose!
    Isopropyl might make you sick, but I don't think it will kill you.
    Methanol (wood alcohol) will either kill you, or blind you. The label warns of this.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Isopropyl might make you sick, but I don't think it will kill you.

It will indeed kill you. There is only one type of alcohol you can drink.
    When Methyl is produced for Industry or Commercial use it is poisoned.
    Without the poison its moonshine.

#39 3 years ago

In the late 60's during the MLK curfew men were drinking Sterno stove fuel, shoe polish and Vanilla extract, all without dying. As I understand it some died from various Aftershaves and Cologne, as well as Industrial alcohols.

#40 3 years ago

You can find 99% at some hardware or drug stores

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from zene10:

I gallon (4 quarts) $24.50 shipped on ebay.
    ebay.com link

Ordered. Thanks!

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

At $12 / gal, I like this brand.
    [quoted image]

Where are you getting it for $12.00 per gallon?

Best I see is $59.00.

https://shopbvv.com/products/bvv-lab-grade-ethanol-200-proof-1-gallon

#43 3 years ago

My local grocery megastore Woodman's recently got 91% and 99% back in stock after being out for months, presumably due to covid. Which is funny since 70% is better for disinfecting.

#44 3 years ago

Due to its toxicity, the 190-proof version of grain alcohol (EVERCLEAR) is considered illegal in many U.S states including California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and Washington. To put it simply, drinking shots of Everclear can kill you.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Due to its toxicity, the 190-proof version of grain alcohol (EVERCLEAR) is considered illegal in many U.S states including California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and Washington. To put it simply, drinking shots of Everclear can kill you.

You can get it in NY now. I was surprised to see it in one store a while back, and the clerk told me it's been legal in NY for about five years now. Definitely not intended to be consumed straight up.

#46 3 years ago

I also use alcohol to clean the "gunk" and of course the WD40 and grease yoyos apply because they think thats how to get those parts moving, better n bigger and all that stuff. Of course it just turns to "gump". Remember two Thanksgivings ago when you cooked that BIG meal? Well, one of the 'taters fell down the back in the oven and when we just found it. That potato has "gump", OK? Lots of "gump".
    But what is the difference between "rubbing" alcohol and "mineral spirits". Are "mineral spirits" really just likker with a additive to NOT drink it? Does it clean and degump as well as good ole rubbing alcohol? Inquiring minds want to know!

betsy 001 (resized).JPGbetsy 001 (resized).JPG
    #47 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It will indeed kill you. There is only one type of alcohol you can drink.
    When Methyl is produced for Industry or Commercial use it is poisoned.
    Without the poison its moonshine.

Technically, all types of alcohol, (and many other familiar substances) are toxic. Of course, it depends on how much if it is ingested.
    I've seen rubbing alcohol which contains a bit of acetone, but it's still not labeled as poisonous. Most others I've seen warn of "serious gastric disturbances", but unlike methanol, it's not labeled as poisonous. Methanol doesn't need an additive to make it poisonous. It's lethal on it's own.
    Moonshine is ethanol, or is supposed to be anyway, but improper distillation can result in the production of potentially lethal amounts methanol in it.
    You're correct though that ethanol is the only type which is reasonably safe to be ingested, but all alcoholic beverages, and even some foods contains minute amounts of methanol.

#48 3 years ago

Try carb or brake cleaner. Yule love it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/91-alcohol-source and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.