(Topic ID: 45357)

90s era Data East machines question

By Pinball-Armor

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

We are thinking about doing a run of Armor for 90s era Data East machines. One of our customers told us our current head cover is about 2 inches too short for his Hook. If I'm going to do a run, I would like to make sure it fits the most DE machines as possible. Are all DE back boxes the same dimensions? How about Sega machines... Similar size?

Thanks for the help!

Darren
    Pinball Armor

#2 11 years ago

I believe Stern/DE did all their cabinets through Churchill. They may know if they were all the same. I am guessing they are not.

Jim Knight
    256 677 5300

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Armor:

Are all DE back boxes the same dimensions? How about Sega machines... Similar size?

Earlier ones like Secret Service, Playboy 35th, Laser War, Torpedo Alley, Robocop are all the same cab, can't say for newer ones like Hook.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Armor:

How about Sega machines... Similar size?

Segas definitly are not. They had the showcase heads at one point, which had the rounded front.

#5 11 years ago

darren,

i summited this on your website, but i would like to post it here too incase anyone else was wondering how they worked.

i recently had the opportunity to use your armor to load the Wizard of Oz machines that went from Texas Pinball Festival to AMOA (Las Vegas) and i wanted to say that i really enjoy your product.

they are thick enough to provide the needed padding for safety. they are easy to install and use.

with that, i do have a couple of suggestions that i would like you to consider.

1) a pocket on the sides (next to where the head folds down) for the legs. this is especially nice for legs that are powder coated.

2) a pocket (with a velcro lid) for the leg bolts, keys, locking tool (data east, sega, stern, jjp)

3) two handles.
    a) one on the back for letting the machine down after removing the back legs
    b) one by the coin door for tipping the machine forward on a cart.

thank you for your product and i look forward to getting some in the future. (only issue is that i have a couple different styles of machines (williams standard, williams widebody, stern, goltieb, data east, and sega) so it will be a couple of different styles. my brother and i have worked out an agreement to exchange a machine or two every couple of months and i would like to use these instead of ratchet straps.

something that i could not find an answer to is the following. is the material water resistance? i as because i move machines with my pickup truck. there is a 3 hour drive each way from my house to my brothers house. on a 6 hour round trip the chance of rain/snow/precipitation could be likely. how will this material hold up upon getting damp/wet?

christopher

#6 11 years ago

First off, thanks for the responses. Looks like this is going to be tougher to solve than I thought. I'll keep doing my homework.

Second, Christopher, thank you for the feedback. We have a solution that I hope addresses some of your suggestions. We have designed a bag that specifically holds the legs, bolts, Keys and locking tool. While we thought about incorporating it into the cover, we thought keeping it separate was cleaner. I will e-mail you a couple pictures of the prototype (we are entering production as we speak).

We do like the handle idea and we have heard this one a couple times now. Because people transport the games different ways, we have been hesitant to add anything that might get caught up (for example, if we have a handle on the back, it might get caught if someone goes vertical with the machine. But we are actively exploring a smart way to incorporate a front and back handle that won't inhibit transport.

The cover you used on the WOZ was one of our new "Generation 2" models. It has slits up the legs with Velcro closure and a third strip of Velcro down the side so the cover will accommodate standard and wide body machines. Our hope is that this cover will accommodate the vast majority of machines out there. Heads are the big variants. Ideally, we would like customers to be able to buy a couple of different head covers and use one body cover and they are set for their collection.

Lastly, while the material on the outside is canvas backed by PVC, which means it is technically water resistant, we don't like to make any claims about water because our covers have Velcro closures and we cannot guarantee water won't get through. The best solution I have thought about would be to get some thicker plastic manufactured, large enough to go over the armor like a condom. If you knew you were going to transport during questionable weather you could first put the machine in the armor and then slide the plastic sleeve over the machine and secure it with a tie strap or shrinkwrap or something. If I could get the economics cheap enough it could be something you could use once or twice and then throw away if it got a hole.

Again, thanks for the responses and feedback. We really want to make our products the best they can be for the pinball community!

Best,

Darren

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/90s-era-data-east-machines-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.