View topic image gallery

colbert-popcorn.gif
image.jpg
image.jpg
tumblr_lo2251wFaN1qhigt0o1_500.gif
553878_10151149597738226_1065567890_n..jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

tumblr_lo2251wFaN1qhigt0o1_500.giftumblr_lo2251wFaN1qhigt0o1_500.gif

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

I smell B.S. This is the Stargate action guy trying to save face.

I agree this thread is total bullshit

#53 10 years ago

If she was in her right mind and well off I have no problem with you buying the game for $900. I also believe that once you pay her and drive away it is yours to do whatever you want. But......you had the annoying problem of other people wanting it and some even told her what is was really worth. Big deal. Then you come here and say it HAD to be some of you guys emailing her. So we are you enemy? You are so sure of that? Yet, you want is to be happy for you? OK, whatever.

#54 10 years ago

First time viewing this topic (unvisit)

I love that link so much sometimes.

#55 10 years ago

Well, Disney does have a large number of arcades containing pins, so you're supporting pinball in a way.... or at least more than the seller lady would have with an additional $2100. Just be sure to pump lots of change into those pins while you're there. My buddy at work told me there's a Tron at the Riverside arcade.

Also, you're a jerk for getting a deal like this instead of me.

#56 10 years ago

I can always count on Pinside to fully entertain me whilst I sip my morning coffee.

#57 10 years ago

You should really quit while you're behind but some people just don't know when to stop. Go watch 'Cool Hand Luke' if you haven't already to see how that ends.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Just read this, your TSPP score and trying to outbid on the Stargate .... nice ethics bad boy
Hope it's true with the karma thing, what goes around comes around.

#59 10 years ago

Don't give a shit what any of you think. Was only telling the story of this deal. I didn't even mention the price I sold it for...someone else looked up my price check thread and posted it. If I was bragging, it was because I was able to sell it right after picking it up and didn't have to unload and setup in my house because I don't have the space for another pin now.

Anyhoo, it's been fun (seriously, y'all are very entertaining).

image.jpgimage.jpg

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Don't give a shit what any of you think.

Then why are you here? Most people come for advice, or talking pinball. If you don't value our opinions, why would we value yours?

#61 10 years ago

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I honestly don't understand why you guys are pissed. This guy saw a good deal, jumped on it and hoped that no one else blocked the sale. The definition of fair market value is the price a well-informed buyer will buy from a well-informed seller when neither are under duress. You could argue the seller wasn't well-informed and you'd be right. However it's the seller's responsibility to do research prior to listing it for sale. Bottom line is it's a zero-sum game. Someone wins and someone loses on every sale of every item sold each and every day. Pinball is not magically different than any other hard good. If he'd lied to her or tried to manipulate her into selling it to him instead of the other bidders, that'd be a different story.

He had no more obligation to give the pin to his kid than he has to buy her a pony. He had no obligation in the sale to his friend's friend than to sell it for fair market value. Yea, he's bragging and yea he comes off as a money grubbing dick, but technically he did nothing wrong. Consider the guy that bought an original MM for 3K and is now trying to sell the dead carcass for $20K. One is a visionary, the other a bastard? That seems skewed, no?

I look into my crystal ball and I see a future where new Stern LE's are regularly 10K and the premiums are 8.5K. POS pins that used to cost 1.5K are now selling for 3-4K because people are being priced out of the A-list titles. Are you going to sell your pins for what you paid for them? Maybe donate them to a home for wayward orphans? I'm not a flipper and don't think they're good for the hobby, but I accept it's going the way of golf. That's sad, but limited supply and growing demand dude.. it's inevitable.

#62 10 years ago

Note to self... Never tell pinside about a good deal...

#63 10 years ago

Had a somewhat similar incident.

Spotted a Simpson's on Craigslist and got the first call in. Had a deal all set.

Some low life did a phone number search, showed up UNINVITED at the seller's house and LIED through their teeth about how they were a lawyer and the seller had to sell to him because he was offering more money.

IOW, there are some real scoundrels in this hobby. Not many, just some. I learned my lesson, on the odd chance I find something on Craigs, it's just as fair to flag the heck out of an ad to keep the lowlife liars from screwing somebody else's deal.

#64 10 years ago

I can see why you are excited. You got a lot of money for a little bit if time, that is awesome for you, but you aren't on a Capitalism forum, you are on a hobbyist forum. In the Capitalist forum, you would have received high fives all around, in the hobbyist forum, what else did you expect?

There have been guys looking for this machine for their personal collection for a long time, but it is in the threshold of pricing not attainable by a lot of collectors. To have been the recipient of this machine after many years of searching, would have given the collector that same feeling that your daughter will experience at Disney World.

#65 10 years ago

Karma... maybe Hurricane (insert name) will come thru during your Disney Vacation.

#66 10 years ago

Did you tell your friend how much you paid for the machine?

#67 10 years ago

I don't know which set of people in this story are the bigger D-bags.

The flipper, or the guys trying to squeeze him out of the deal.

The OP is a nice example of why the pin hobby is such a mine field of turds. It's stuff like this really makes you appreciate when you find the "good" guys in the hobby.

#70 10 years ago

Your story is nothing new. It happens pretty much anytime a pinball machine or any high dollar item is offered for significantly less than what it's worth. I see nothing wrong with the others trying to steal your deal or you selling it for a profit.

edit: how do you know the others trying to c%c&block (your term) were collectors and not just flippers (what you were in this particular situation)? Note that i am not using the term flipper as a pejorative.

2nd edit: I once offered full asking price for a pin where the seller told me another dude was coming but that he might only be willing to pay 60% of asking price. Was that in bad form? The game was a $2500 TOTAN and the guy said the guy coming to get it might only pay $1500 for it. It was easily a $4000 pin at the time. Bah, i don't give a rat's a$$ if it was in poor form. lol.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

She told me about and even showed me some emails on her iPhone from several people....and let's face it, there HAD to have been some Pinsiders who emailed her. Had to. Several guys flat out emailed her and told her to NOT sell at that price. One guy said not to sell it that cheap and it was worth about $3000. Another said it was worth possibly 3x more than her price.

I'm sure they weren't trying to jack your purchase. Their iPhones probably "left out a key word or two."

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-getting-the-600-stargate-in-va#post-1108896

#72 10 years ago

^ Key takeaway from that thread

Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, it's up to the seller to have integrity

#73 10 years ago

whats funny is how the op has thumbs downed every negative post against him to try to solidify his side of the argument.

By the way what a total douche, shoulda just kept his mouth shut enjoyed Disney and moved on.

Or better yet like someone else said, shoulda cleaned up the machine and given it to his daughter...a weekend worth of memories at Disney or a decade of memories playing a pin with the characters she loves....

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

We're staying in a grand villa at Old Key West

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Note to self... Never tell pinside about a good deal...

HAHAHA!!

#76 10 years ago

What I want to know is how it felt to take advantage of a friend of a friend.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I swear I thought the Chevy and Ford truck forums were full of whiners and negative Nancys always jumping on someone and looking for drama where it doesn't exist.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but maybe.... just maybe.... you're the issue.

Something to consider.

#78 10 years ago

Blatant sociopath.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/900-simpsons-pinball-partyand-the-collectorswho-tried-to-c-block-the-deal/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.