(Topic ID: 107146)

$8K price point....finally met it's match with all the options?

By mamemaster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Deez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pin-Transformers-Full-01a-e1353513880410.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I was in with MMr at the $8K- and could almost *almost* actually justify the cost.

But based on the threads I'm seeing on PinSide- it may be that the $8K+games days are numbered. There are so many options now, that it's going to be hard for most of the "hard core" collectors to spend that kind of money on a regular basis.

In days past, when you only had Stern pumping out new games- it was a simple equation. If you want a NIB, Stern would get your LE money.

Now.....I'm torn. I'm kinda' hoping that PP can do subsequent remakes at the $6K price point....and if not, I'm going to wait for the secondary market on them after I get my MMr.

The current pinball companies should be thinking hard on how to get the new games at $6K max or less....Stern can afford to do that, but I'm not so sure about the smaller vendors popping up.

#2 9 years ago

I think stern needs to enter the low end market by producing a stripped down machine for 3k that will appeal to the lower end market like some operators and collectors. 8k bucks for a pinball machine is ridiculous. Even being able to afford that much for one, I would never even consider it. 3k I would be in and I'm sure there are others. There needs to be some games that appeal to the players and not just collectors.

#3 9 years ago

Nothing like a hobby where the more manufactures that come in, the prices go up

#4 9 years ago

$3k all day long

Quoted from Deez:

I think stern needs to enter the low end market by producing a stripped down machine for 3k that will appeal to the lower end market like some operators and collectors. 8k bucks for a pinball machine is ridiculous. Even being able to afford that much for one, I would never even consider it. 3k I would be in and I'm sure there are others. There needs to be some games that appeal to the players and not just collectors.

Pin-Transformers-Full-01a-e1353513880410.jpgPin-Transformers-Full-01a-e1353513880410.jpg

#5 9 years ago

How do you think MMr owners would feel if AFM & MB were retailed at 6k because of efficiency they learned via MMr production?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Your saying it's the manufactures, but I think it's the hobbiests that will pull $7K+ out of there bank accounts for just hearing, "Bally Williams parts", "LCD screens" and "bring pinball into a new era" with a play field sketch on a napkin. Want drives production.

#7 9 years ago

Well technically the market had MM at a higher price than AFM and MB, so not horrible. But I didn't consider buying mmr because I cared what collectors paid for their original or what pps's next game would cost. I wanted MM. MM is my fav game, I could care less about the other stuff, as long as I got the game because I wanted it and could afford it. If originals sold for well under 8k, I'd go get an original. But they list at the same or more, and I HATE old boards and solder. I'll go new any day at that price point vs original.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

How do you think MMr owners would feel if AFM & MB were retailed at 6k because of efficiency they learned via MMr production?

I'm already in at $8k. If I could add AFM & MB for $6K? I would feel FINE!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

$3k all day long

That's a monstrosity. How did they sell the original Iron man for 3200 4 years ago but now they're 4500?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

That's a monstrosity. How did they sell the original Iron Man for 3200 4 years ago but now they're 4500?

before the VE they were going about 6k or so

#11 9 years ago

Another muther fn price thread!!!!!

#12 9 years ago

Hooray, another price thread!! Here's a soundtrack for your enjoyment:

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Another muther fn price thread!!!!!

pretty much all of them are people starting to realize, but not accept that they aren't the target group anyways.....

Plenty of expensive cars built and bought too... plenty of people with money out there to support this low volume hobby, at least on the nib side. which is really all that matters.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from muttonboy:

pretty much all of them are people starting to realize, but not accept that they aren't the target group anyways.....

A fool and his money are soon parted.

#15 9 years ago

I hope the 8k price dies. Im all for games in the 5k range. If Stern can make great games like IM in the 5k range why cant others?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I hope the 8k price dies. Im all for games in the 5k range. If Stern can make great games like IM in the 5k range why cant others?

Not to knock Iron Man, its a fun game, but it looks basic compared to other higher end pins. I would expect a higher game to offer much more then Iron Man if the price tag is $3k+ over what a new IM goes for.

Thankfully all of Sterns other pro games are under $5k.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not to knock Iron Man, its a fun game, but it looks basic compared to other higher end pins. I would expect a higher game to offer much more then Iron Man if the price tag is $3k+ over what a new IM goes for.
    Thankfully all of Sterns other pro games are under $5k.

And what other 'higher end' games are you comparing it to in your mind?

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

That's a monstrosity. How did they sell the original Iron Man for 3200 4 years ago but now they're 4500?

Original Iron Mans were closer to $4200 not $3200.

#19 9 years ago

So who will be the first manufacturer to bow to the pressure and start getting parts from China?

Drop that BOM by 50%.....

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So who will be the first manufacturer to bow to the pressure and start getting parts from China?

Just because they get the parts cheaper doesn't mean they will pass it on to the consumer. All it really means is a higher profit margin for the manufacturer. I'm sure a lot of the parts, especially the electronics, and more then likely the wire and plastic injection molded parts are already being made off shore. Remember just because the manufactures are building the machines here, doesn't mean the suppliers selling them the parts are doing the same.

#21 9 years ago

Hobbit LE, Ruby WoZ and TBL are at $9k. Maybe we need to say goodbye to the $9k price points before we can expect to say goodbye to the $8k price point?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

economies of scale

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I assumed they're already getting parts from China honestly. Assembled in the US, but that doesn't mean the parts are built here. I don't have any actual clue, just assumptions.

#24 9 years ago

No NIB games for me in 2014. 8k is a lot for a new game that's yet unproven. I have had several over the prior few years: SM, ACDC Prem, WOZ and STLE. I really like STLE ,but it was a leap of faith. I got caught up in the wake of the Metallica MOP feeding frenzy. Stern did too by making so many. I even sent them an email asking them to make plenty so it wouldn't be hard to get one.

Reflecting back, the "like new" games I have had have been very nice and just as enjoyable. TRON LE, LOTR LE, Mustang. I'm not saying always or never, but I'm feeling pretty much like I'm done for a while with pre-orders and new releases. I still like NIB, but maybe after it loses the super high markup period.

However, I am not done buying, selling and collecting pinball. I am really enjoying the hobby. I hope some one else new and hungry fills my shoes while I sit back an enjoy for a while.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed they're already getting parts from China honestly. Assembled in the US, but that doesn't mean the parts are built here. I don't have any actual clue, just assumptions.

In a show seminar back in 2011, Gary stated that he made a point to buy most hardware from local US suppliers. He didn't want to tie up money in overseas parts inventory, plus he believed the quality to be sub-par.

(1) I'd imagine that Stern has a very mature local supply chain given Illinois' pinball manufacturing history - quick turnaround, low shipping costs, and instant feedback on parts quality. It's tough to beat that for larger, unique parts like playfields, wireforms, vacuum formed plastics, cabinets. (2) Smaller, commodity-market parts like bolts, bulk wiring are probably bought in lower labour markets like China ...easy to ship, low inventory hold costs + commonly shared between games (no obsolescence). (3) In some cases, Stern has no choice for parts like LEDs that are only China made.

So, the only way to reduce the material costs is to source the larger, unique parts from a close-by low labour market. Mexico?

#26 9 years ago

One thing we know is they're not spending any money in marketing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/8k-price-pointfinally-me-its-match-with-all-the-options and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.