Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

'80s Mix Track List (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

This is more "video game" oriented but if you like '80s music check out my new '80s mix

LINK:
    https://www.tablist.net/audio/jbs-jockin-80s
    (to download: right-click on the link that says "jam-burglar-jbs-jockin-80s.mp3"
    or, just left-click it to stream the audio.)

Basically, I dug into my collection of '80s records (pop and electro 12"s, video game records, soundtracks, etc.) and made a continuous, hour-long DJ mix. All of the sounds came directly off vinyl records and I mixed them all up and whatnot with my turntables and mixer. All-in-all I ended up using over 100 records.

Here's a youtube video I did of the intro to the mix so you can see which records I used for that part and how they fit in

TRACK LIST:

'80s Mix Track List (resized).jpg'80s Mix Track List (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Holy crap I am showing this to my wife. Instant pin time!

#3 7 years ago

nice!

#4 7 years ago

Track list looks great! Can't wait to check it out!

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for checking it out! If anyone thinks they can spot all of the movie soundtrack samples PM me your guess listing them all and I'll send you a free copy of the CD with full artwork.

#6 7 years ago

cool, mostly around 82-83-84.
    what editing apps did you used?

#7 7 years ago

Nice work, Thanks!!!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

cool, mostly around 82-83-84.
    what editing apps did you used?

It's actually pretty straight forward. I had my turntables hooked up to a 2 channel mixer, hooked up a few effects pedals, and then ran the mixer output into a multi-track recorder (cool edit pro) on my computer. All of the basic mixing of the main tracks was done live, and then I went in and laid down more sounds on top of what I'd already recorded. Other than stuff like minor volume adjustments, pans and some effects, the computer was just there to record the sounds coming out of my mixer. In other words, I tried to do as much as possible in the live, analog realm and only use the computer like a 4-track recorder (except with way more than 4 tracks).

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

It's actually pretty straight forward. I had my turntables hooked up to a 2 channel mixer, hooked up a few effects pedals, and then ran the mixer output into a multi-track recorder (cool edit pro) on my computer. All of the basic mixing of the main tracks was done live, and then I went in and laid down more sounds on top of what I'd already recorded. Other than stuff like minor volume adjustments, pans and some effects, the computer was just there to record the sounds coming out of my mixer. In other words, I tried to do as much as possible in the live, analog realm and only use the computer like a 4-track recorder (except with way more than 4 tracks).

nice, you did great, live mixing/beat matching is hard.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

nice, you did great, live mixing/beat matching is hard.

Thanks man!

#11 7 years ago

this is an awesome mix; I've listened to it 4 times already. ...more, please! Awesome that you did this live

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

this is an awesome mix; I've listened to it 4 times already. ...more, please! Awesome that you did this live

Dood, that's sweet! I hid all sorts of stuff in there so you could listen more than once and still catch new things.

Also, FYI, while this was recorded in real time, it wasn't done all in one take (performing this live would take something like 4 or 5 DJs, maybe more.) What beatmaster and I were on about is that there are computer programs you could maybe use to do things like match tempos, lock the beats together, arrange tracks, etc. So, you could presumably record all the different parts and then piece them together sitting down at a computer or something. This mix more like me hitting record, going over to the turntables recording part of the base layer on one day, then coming back another day and recording over that base layer with more parts, then coming back another day and adding more.

I do have some older, live in one take mixes up on tablist.net You can click my name on there and they should come up. They're mostly hip hop but I tend to use a lot of samples and stuff. One is a Richard Pryor themed hip hop mix that took lots of planning and the other one is an eclectic Halloween mix that I threw together more quickly. Both of those were live in one take.

#13 7 years ago

Nice mix!

On a related note, I'm subscribed to a youtube channel called TRONICBOX. They take modern songs, and 80's-ize them. Even the video itself shows a very 80s computer rainbow flavor with VHS tracking errors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB3W9gT-mFMN1j12pydSNOw/videos

#14 7 years ago

Well done, man. Long live 80's and Technics 1200's!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Nice mix!
    On a related note, I'm subscribed to a youtube channel called TRONICBOX. They take modern songs, and 80's-ize them. Even the video itself shows a very 80s computer rainbow flavor with VHS tracking errors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB3W9gT-mFMN1j12pydSNOw/videos
    » YouTube video

That's hilarious!

#16 7 years ago

Absolutely fantastic playlist and an EXCELLENT mix job, hadn't thought of Timex Social Club or Nu Shooz in years! Not sure I'd be able to concentrate on a game though, as I'd be too busy making a fool out of myself geeking out to the tunes!

If you came to my party I'd subtract absolutely nothing and add these:
    Depeche Mode "Never Let Me Down Again"
    Yaz "Situation"
    New Order "Blue Monday"
    Erasure "Who Needs Love Like That"
    Midnight Oil "Power and the Passion"
    Replacements "Bastards of Young"
    Cure "Other Voices"
    Sisters of Mercy "Lucretia My Reflection"
    Gene Loves Jezebel "Desire"
    Cult "Rain"
    Tears for Fears "Shout"
    Berlin "Metro"
    Killing Joke "Eighties"
    Shannon "Let the Music Play"
    Taco "Puttin' on the Ritz"
    Siouxsie & the Banshees "Cities in Dust"
    (12" mixes where available, 'natch)

For maximal 80s kitsch value also add:
    Buckner and Garcia "Pac-man Fever"
    Eddie Murphy "Party all the Time"
    Kraftwerk "Pocket Calculator"

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Absolutely fantastic playlist and an EXCELLENT mix job, hadn't thought of Timex Social Club or Nu Shooz in years! Not sure I'd be able to concentrate on a game though, as I'd be too busy making a fool out of myself geeking out to the tunes!
    If you came to my party I'd subtract absolutely nothing and add these:
    Depeche Mode "Never Let Me Down Again"
    Yaz "Situation"
    New Order "Blue Monday"
    Erasure "Who Needs Love Like That"
    Midnight Oil "Power and the Passion"
    Replacements "Bastards of Young"
    Cure "Other Voices"
    Sisters of Mercy "Lucretia My Reflection"
    Gene Loves Jezebel "Desire"
    Cult "Rain"
    Tears for Fears "Shout"
    Berlin "Metro"
    Killing Joke "Eighties"
    Shannon "Let the Music Play"
    Taco "Puttin' on the Ritz"
    Siouxsie & the Banshees "Cities in Dust"
    (12" mixes where available, 'natch)
    For maximal 80s kitsch value also add:
    Buckner and Garcia "Pac-man Fever"
    Eddie Murphy "Party all the Time"
    Kraftwerk "Pocket Calculator"

Wow, good depth!

I actually had a whole slew of other tracks up for consideration but it came down to selecting the ones that harmonically mixed and which ones had the right tempo. For instance, I not a huge fan of Safety Dance but it mixed in so well with Nu Shooz and Timex Social Club that I just had to put it in there.

#18 7 years ago

Great mix! I love having these running in the gameroom when people are over.

Kind of reminds me of SmashTV's mix. In case anyone hasn't seen that one, here ya go:

#19 7 years ago

Now this is awesome! Great work.

#20 7 years ago

I usually listen to original recorded swedish 80's radio when im repairing pinballs

http://radiogodis.se/Rakt_Over_Disc.htm

and

http://radiogodis.se/metropol.htm

#21 7 years ago

still waiting on next mix.

ps. just sent this link to about 1000 of my closest friends to check out (including dj's & 80's vid folks)

#22 7 years ago

already in touch with the OP about this other hobby (djing) we get in common, this few words to say tanx & bravo to him for his mix

and than, as people seems liking this kind of '80 stuff, just few of mines that you could also enjoy
    these are long time made, you can found much more from me by googleing my pseudo ("dj_mxr")

new wave style :

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/dj_mxr/episodes/2008-03-22T05_29_31-07_00

pop/dance/club :

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/dj_mxr/episodes/2008-05-30T06_31_10-07_00

all styles & crazy mixing (done with my friends Moustik ... RIP) :

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/dj_mxr/episodes/2009-09-22T11_28_59-07_00

nice WE all

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

still waiting on next mix.
    ps. just sent this link to about 1000 of my closest friends to check out (including dj's & 80's vid folks)

Hell yeah, send it around!

Thanks for checking it out everybody and for the links and sharing your own stuff!

#24 7 years ago

Cool! I have a Flynn mix I got from somewhere???ill have to dig it out to share here as well

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/80s-dj-mix-for-your-game-rooms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.