Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
sideview.JPG
aboveswitch.JPG
inplace.JPG
IMG_6107.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I need help in determining the shape of the piano wire used to detect the ball in the ramp area. I have an old coin detect switch and am going to use that to make the new one. Could someone take a photo of the shape of the wire for me? Thanks.

IMG_6107.jpgIMG_6107.jpg

1 week later
#2 11 years ago

I can when i get home

#3 11 years ago

Thanks Ronnie. It seems to work fine without the wire. Occasionally two balls will be in the delivery area and will not load to the shooter lane. If I push the balls back down they get loaded correctly.

#4 11 years ago

Oh man i'm really sorry, I forgot to and my Xenon is gone now. Sorry

#5 11 years ago

Jwwgold,

Here are some pics of the detection switch wire. It's a bit of a tricky one as the side view shows it does not come straight through the side of the ramp. There is a significant loop before it enters the slot. Hopefully these will give you an idea of the shape of the wire.

GG5280

inplace.JPGinplace.JPG aboveswitch.JPGaboveswitch.JPG sideview.JPGsideview.JPG

#6 11 years ago

My xenon was constantly shooting both balls into the shooter lane at start up and I was baffled for the longest time. I re-adjusted the trip wire on that micro several times, finally i just disconnected the switch and the game works fine now, go figure!

#7 11 years ago

Thanks GamesGuy. I was looking for the one in the ball trough just before the shooter lane.

Lovef2k: I noticed the same thing. There will be a time when you will get two balls in the trough and none in the shooting lane and you'll have to push them back down the trough to get things going again. It has to do with the timing of the end of a multi-ball.

1 month later
#8 11 years ago

Well so far there hasn't been any confusion since I disconnected the micro. During a multi-ball game, when the first ball drains, it is sent to the ball release coil to the far right of the trough. Once it hits that spot, it closes a switch under the pf and the MPU sees that it's there. When the second ball drains it will remain in the outhole and then the game will tally the score and proceed to the next ball in play. As soon as the next ball is released, the ball in the outhole will be kicked over to the ball release immediately and will remain there until the next drain and so on.

Even when game is in attract mode and there's no balls in the game, as soon as you add the first ball it should be kicked over. If you press the start button, the game will not start until the second ball is added and sits in the outhole pocket(center of the apron).

4 months later
#9 10 years ago

i noticed when I swapped my xenon playfield to another one my switch did not have the wire there either. mine played fine, multiball and everything. I was thinking maybe this switch was for book keeping or something ? anyone know for sure ?

1 month later
#10 10 years ago

I'm not sure but my Xenon would shoot both balls into the shooter lane just about every time when either I started a new game or when both balls drained together. Since I disconnected the micro it's been fine. If I ever get to email Greg Kmiec again, I will ask him. For now his email is stuck in a crashed hard drive.

#11 10 years ago

Xenon was originally designed as a 1 ball game and they added the multi-ball option at the last minute, so the whole ball release setup was a bit of a botch job (think the American term is kludge)!

#12 10 years ago

I've had this issue in the past with my Xenon also. The first time it was just a small adjustment to the micro switch in the ball trough. Where the ball hits it as its loaded forward into this position it had dented in by about a millimetre. That millimetre made all the difference.

The second time I had issues it was the second switch in the ball trough. The one underneath. When the balls are loaded into this area if the switch does not close then the machine doesn't realise that it has already loaded a ball onto the shooter lane and loads the second one on.

Both of these issues can also cause you further problems with the ball not registering in the kick out whole at the end of the tube shot.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

You can see the small deflection in the switch arm on mine above. That was enough to cause two balls to load.
By the looks of it this is a very common issue with Xenon. I love mine though its a little rough. It is in the queue for a full restoration. Fortunately I have a new CPR playfield and plastics set to go with it.

#14 10 years ago

Awesome, Xenon was my first resto. http://southjerseypinball.com/gallery/v/lovef2k/

I have the card stock for the entire game if you want to buy a set. The only sticker that I didn't reproduce is the one on the outside of the head, I think it was the ICC warning. These are same as the ones I used on this game and they look 100% original.

$35 for the set plus postage

Rich

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Awesome, Xenon was my first resto. http://southjerseypinball.com/gallery/v/lovef2k/
I have the card stock for the entire game if you want to buy a set. The only sticker that I didn't reproduce is the one on the outside of the head, I think it was the ICC warning. These are same as the ones I used on this game and they look 100% original.
$35 for the set plus postage
Rich

Thanks for the offer Rich. PM sent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/80s-bally-ball-delivery-area-switch-xenon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.