• AFM 63 votes
    33%
  • MMRLE 86 votes
    46%

(189 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Teekee_heads.jpg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Just curious what the opinions are here. I have not played MM or AFM much but my opinion was the AFM flowed better and was a bit faster. I found MM very easy. For this kind of money I can't get a very nice MM but I can get an MMRLE or a fairly nice AFM. What would you do and why?

#2 8 years ago

They are similar games for sure.

AFM is probably the most fun pinball ever made, but MM is more entertaining for guests at your home.

If you see a nice AFM nearby, grab it.

If not, you can't go wrong with the MMr.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Well.......opinions may vary

#4 8 years ago

Don't buy anything till you play Hobbit. Wow!

Edit: I should say, that if I had to solely choose from your choices, I think I'd go with a nice MMR.

#5 8 years ago

3 nice system 11's or JM, TS and a BSD. Too many equally fun or even better games for a lot less. Just my humble opinion ofcourse, if it has to be on of those then AFM. Good luck.

#6 8 years ago

I'd probably go with AFM for $5500 and keep the change.

#7 8 years ago

I had AFM and MM and enjoyed both thoroughly. They are essentially the same game with mostly the same shots. AFM might be considered a bit faster in my opinion because of the extra loop. It comes down to theme. Personally, I prefer the theme and humor in MM and kept that while selling the AFM. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have an original than a repro of just about anything.

#8 8 years ago

AFM > MM

But also keep in mind that (from someone who has owned several AFMs) that RFM is even better -- while having more interesting tech, deeper software, and a much lower price.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Other than lose value… Open the box and you lose… once they all get delivered values on those will continue to drop. Original AFM's and MM's have already taken their hit. If future value means anything to you then steer clear of a NIB MMr.

#10 8 years ago

At $8k you can get a very nice to restored condition afm. Mm will be closer to players condition and mmr will obviously be nib.

Afm is a far better game than mm IMO.

#11 8 years ago

If you consider AFM I would wait for PPS to announce the remake edition. This can change the market price of used AFM like the MMR did for MM !

#12 8 years ago

...and hopefully that will be soon...

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Other than lose value… Open the box and you lose…

Pretty normal for something you use to lose value once you use it.

Other than a few titles like TronLE, there are not many pins that go up in value once you opened them.

If a used MM is $5,500, you will not be able to restore it to the level of the MMr for $2,500, that's for sure.

New decals for cab $300

New clear ramps $400

Clear coat the playfield $500

or Replace playfield $900

Color DMD $400

Flipper rebuild $25

LEDs $200

Moat $50 (always cracked)

New plastics $150

New dragon wings $20 (always broken and glued)

A million other worn or broken parts as you restore $1000

Stereo sound N/A

80 hours of your time @ even $25/hr is $2000

--------------------

Don't kid yourself how much work it would be to take a used MM and turn it into a game anywhere near as nice as a MMr....

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

AFM > MM
But also keep in mind that (from someone who has owned several AFMs) that RFM is even better -- while having more interesting tech, deeper software, and a much lower price.

Oh HELL no. Keep in mind, from someone who owned both for over 15 years.. AFM just destroys RFM in playability. RFM has more advanced technology, sure, but it's half the game. There is zero, and I mean ZERO stacking in RFM. Play a mode... or martian attack, or regular multiball, or bonus wave, or hypno beam.. but never, ever at the same time. Game just gets real old after a while.

#15 8 years ago

As everyone else has pointed out, the games are pretty much the same so choose the game with the theme you like more. The remake makes the most sense to me, can't beat NIB for playabilty. I prefer MM by a slim margin, but if the situation were reversed and AFM were being remade I would get the remade AFM. Fixing up games is expensive and not having to deal with that is worth not having an original IMHO.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't kid yourself how much work it would be to take a used MM and turn it into a game anywhere near as nice as a MMr....

I certainly know all this but that has nothing to do with my point… if you want an MMr simply be patient and buy one later HUO and save plenty.

Personally I would much rather have an original even if I had to pay more for a real nice one.

#17 8 years ago

Tough but I'd go new. MMR

#18 8 years ago

3 System 11 games?

Chris

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

3 System 11 games?
Chris

Or TBL. Can't go wrong really when you have 8k to throw around.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

if you want an MMr simply be patient and buy one later HUO and save plenty.

He said he had $8k to spend, so let him spend it.

Even if you save $1000 on a used game, I'd rather have the NIB experience, lol

#21 8 years ago

Both great games - but I'm going to vote for MM. MM will be worth more in the long run than MMR - originals are always worth more than reproductions.

One thing is for sure - MM took a hit on value when MMR was released. If they do make an AFMR, expect the current prices for AFM to take a hit as well.

MM on the other hand has already taken that hit and will slowly rise back in value over time.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

originals are always worth more than reproductions.

Would you pay more than $8,000 for a used MM right now?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, if

1) I was in the market
2) The original was very nice and working 100%

In that case, I'd venture it's worth more.

But also... if an original MM isn't "very nice" and not working 100% then it's worth SIGNIFICANTLY less now, IMHO.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Don't buy anything till you play Hobbit. Wow!

He might want to buy a game this year though....

#25 8 years ago

To answer your question, all three will make you happy. I have a restored AFM, an unrestored MM and have seen and played the MMR. I prefer nice but not pristine, but have my own unique reasons for that.

AFM is my favorite pin.

#26 8 years ago

AFM is gonna be remade. So I'd go MMR.

#27 8 years ago

AFM with external sub and Color DMD.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

AFM is gonna be remade. So I'd go MMR.

So who's gonna buy an $8000 ($8250-$8500 with shipping) AFM remake? You?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

For a HEP or spectacular HUO - absolutely.

Once the MMRs are no longer being produced, we'll see what happens - but I'll bet the MMs are the more desirable of the two.

#31 8 years ago

The MMR unbox thread makes me so jealous. Out of these three options the MMRLE would be my choice.

#32 8 years ago

Either way I'd stick with an original.

I don't want to open a box to find it all jacked up and then have them send me some touch up paint and crazy glue to fix it.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

So who's gonna buy an $8000 ($8250-$8500 with shipping) AFM remake? You?

<-------------Me

#34 8 years ago

I'm SHOCKED! lol…

#35 8 years ago

Sold my original MM a couple years ago, I bought a nice AFM recently. I enjoy both but I like the game play a bit better on AFM. I don't think you can go wrong with either there both fantastic games. I personally like Williams originals, but it might be hard not to pull the trigger on a MMr to get everything new. Depends on if you care about original vs remake. Good luck.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

For a HEP or spectacular HUO - absolutely.

No HEP is going to be sold for $8K, you know that.

Just a regular, used MM.

Quoted from altan:

The original was very nice and working 100%

They never work 100%. There is always a bunch of little stuff; secretly cracked ramps, broken pop rods, flippers that need rebuilding.....

No matter how carefully you think you checked it out, there is always a bunch of hidden problems.
-

Are you going to pay $8k for a regular, used MM?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They never work 100%. There is always a bunch of little stuff; secretly cracked ramps, broken pop rods, flippers that need rebuilding.....
No matter how carefully you think you checked it out, there is always a bunch of hidden problems.

Sounds like MMr may have some of its own issues as well…

Original all day!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Original all day!

Too much time and money to restore an original even to the level of the MMr.

But I will agree with you that If the original stumbles to ~$4k, there would be enough room there to do a full restoration.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But I will agree with you that If the original stumbles to ~$4k, there would be enough room there to do a full restoration.

If the original stumbles to $4k you'll be lucky to get $900 for your remake.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

If the original stumbles to $4k you'll be lucky to get $900 for your remake.

Time will tell, my friend. Time will tell.

#41 8 years ago

In my opinion a few years from now if the mmr holds up nicely (new boards and all) I think they will have more value just in the fact that most will be sold as HUO. Honestly I wouldn't mind having a really nice collection of strictly remakes only. A brand new mmr, afm, mb, etc. That would be pretty sweet!

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

For this kind of money I can't get a very nice MM but I can get an MMRLE or a fairly nice AFM. What would you do and why?

Just to make sure our southern neighbours know, he may be talking $8000 CAD dollars. As of today, that's $6488.50 USD.

Right now, a MMr LE in CAD dollars is $9857.44. Add tax and shipping ....

OP, if you were talking $8000 USD, ignore my whole post

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Either way I'd stick with an original.
I don't want to open a box to find it all jacked up and then have them send me some touch up paint and crazy glue to fix it.

I've been playing the crap out of MMr for over a month now and other than moving the slingshot mechs back (10 minute job), it has been problem free.

Sound is great, shaker is great, playfield is beautiful.

The only thing I wish it had was a silkscreened cab like my old one, instead of those fragile decals.

#44 8 years ago

There are people that are players, collectors and both. Any collector would pick an original. If you look at any other collectible, eventually originals are sought after, and valued way higher (double, triple and more) than any remake - especially when the remake is done by a different company.

Having noted "collectible" value - you may not care about that and just want to play the game. Then the remake should have less problems since it's brand new. I did see a remake recently and did not like the differences in the playfield inserts, and lighting. The inserts were all clear - not frosted like the originals. I'm not sure if this is all MMrs or just the one at Logan hardware. After seeing that one in person, I would buy an original over the MMr but I know how to work on games. If you don't have any skill/confidence to work on the game, then a new MMr may be a better choice for you.

#45 8 years ago

Guys with so many new and amazing pins arriving I think the entire used catalog of pins is gonna have a real price crash soon. Many of those prices were set when prices spiked and hardly any new pins were shipping. Not the case anymore. For $8,000 in 3 years I would guess you'll be able to get AFM and half of an MMR.

#46 8 years ago

For around $8k a good way to go would be Johnny mnemonic+ Dr. Who +The Shadow imho

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sound is great, shaker is great, playfield is beautiful.

Does it have that full color display they mentioned they were working on in 2013?

#48 8 years ago

I voted for the remake of Medieval Madness. I just think a newer game is going to be more reliable long term.

#49 8 years ago

I voted with my wallet and picked up a shiny new MMr and do not regret that decision at all. I have been playing it straight every day for the last 2 months with absolutely no issues at all.

#50 8 years ago

Actually the only issue I have is that occasionally Teekee pops out of the middle of the playfield but all I do is hit his head 3 times and he goes away.

Teekee heads.jpgTeekee heads.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 21.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/8000-what-to-buy-afm-mm-or-mmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.