264 (resized).jpg
299 (resized).jpg
297 (resized).jpg
287 (resized).jpg
234 (resized).jpg
tna13 (resized).jpg
tna11 (resized).jpeg
tna10 (resized).jpeg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

Maybe he just doesn't like it. I get everyone here thinks no one should have their own opinion but people do anyway.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe he just doesn't like it. I get everyone here thinks no one should have their own opinion but people do anyway.

True that. Nobody should force somebody to like something they don't.

But on the other hand, it's not doing anybody any good to go on and on with a Rarehero type rant about one particular game.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sooo you have to own a game to hate it?

There are games I don't like but I don't seek out threads with said games and continually point out all the things I don't like about them. I don't like many of the recent Sterns. I'll say my piece about them, but it usually ends at that. I certainly don't look up pictures, point out all the things I don't like about the games, over and over and over again; it gets old.

You can check the TNA threads out there, and Hornet will chime in on most all of them, about something he doesn't like about it. I really don't understand why he has to follow the game around. We get it. Move on.

EDIT: and to your point, O-din was asking him to sell his game. I was pointing out he didn't own one.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

There are games I don't like but I don't seek out threads with said games and continually point out all the things I don't like about them.

I gotta admit, at one time I might have been a little guilty of that myself.

Not the actual game as far as play is concerned, but the mind blowing numbness of how certain themes could be chosen for modern pinball games.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I really don't think you have played these games you complain about. I've played TNA in 4different locations and never had an issue. You can't go by pictures.

have seen it in person in two locations.

it was nearly impossible to see the ball well at ayce gogi.
not just my opinion, others there agreed.
the rooms lighting was very poor.
the GI on TNA simply failed to illuminate the pf.
consequently, did not play it there.
no way could i fairly evaluate the game in those conditions.

that dissapointment did incentivize me to create some mobile lighting solutions
that could be easily be carried from game to game to improve anyones playing experience.

played TNA numerous times throughout the weekend at arcade expo 5.0.
forutunately, i had some of these solutions with me so i could see what was going on.

the fact remains that the lighting was pathetic on these two examples as they were presented to the general public.

Quoted from gliebig:

You can't go by pictures.

why not?
the previous set of pictures were posted by others.
there is no reason to believe they are not indicative of what they were seeing.
they are certainly consistent and are representative of my experience.

to give people an idea of what they are missing and how much their playing experience can be enhanced by a one time low cost mobile lighting solution, here are a few games from the museum of pinball with and without additional lighting. the blue reflection is from the overhead fixtures.

TNA
234 (resized).jpg234 (resized).jpg
287 (resized).jpg287 (resized).jpg

AFM
297 (resized).jpg297 (resized).jpg
299 (resized).jpg299 (resized).jpg

FATHOM
264 (resized).jpg264 (resized).jpg
266 (resized).jpg266 (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago

At this point, a better question would be are there any games greenhornet actually approves of? I've never seen him post a positive thing that I can recall.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You can check the TNA threads out there....

I get what you're saying, but this is aboot a game and all he said was the upper PF was uneventful. You asked if if he ever even played it, Hilton went all Hiltony as usual (the ying to his yang) and you upvoted him, so he's posting pics in reply to you guys calling him out.

I mean it should have stopepd there probably though

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

At this point, a better question would be are there any games greenhornet actually approves of?

I bet when this one comes out, he will be all in.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I get what you're saying, but this is aboot a game and all he said was the upper PF was uneventful. You asked if if he ever even played it, Hilton went all Hiltony as usual (the ying to his yang) and you upvoted him, so he's posting pics in reply to you guys calling him out.
I mean it should have stopepd there probably though

The first comment that Hilton made wasn't out of line by any means. I just wanted to see if Hornet has actually played the game, and well, the rest happened. I guess, why go out of your way to continually bash a game? There are many people that love it. There are many people that hate it. That's fine. But to say the same thing repeatedly, especially without playing (which he was doing for quite some time), it's just annoying after the "n"th comment.

And also, like I said, with pics, phones, sensors, settings etc, it can all be manipulated and not an accurate account, especially with lighting.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I bet when this one comes out, he will be all in.

A Bruce Lee themed pin....

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

have seen it in person in two locations.
it was nearly impossible to see the ball well at ayce gogi.
not just my opinion, others there agreed.
the rooms lighting was very poor.
the GI on TNA simply failed to illuminate the pf.
consequently, did not play it there.
no way could i fairly evaluate the game in those conditions.
that dissapointment did incentivize me to create some mobile lighting solutions
that could be easily be carried from game to game to improve anyones playing experience.
played TNA numerous times throughout the weekend at arcade expo 5.0.
forutunately, i had some of these solutions with me so i could see what was going on.
the fact remains that the lighting was pathetic on these two examples as they were presented to the general public.

why not?
the previous set of pictures were posted by others.
there is no reason to believe they are not indicative of what they were seeing.
they are certainly consistent and are representative of my experience.
to give people an idea of what they are missing and how much their playing experience can be enhanced by a one time low cost mobile lighting solution, here are a few games from the museum of pinball with and without additional lighting. the blue reflection is from the overhead fixtures.
TNA

AFM

FATHOM

blah blah blah blah......I don't even waste time reading your spooge anymore.

#112 6 years ago

you all mistake my comments as bagging on TNA the game. not so.

the issue here for me is the lack of adequate lighting of all pinballs and TNA was simply being cited as an example. i have posts in the houdini and alien threads that are critical of their dark artwork/lack of GI which results is an inability of track the ball as well as one could/should. i am an advocate for better lighting and anyone/any company working toward improving this aspect of pinball.

dont think its a problem?
here is another example.
you wouldnt even know the playfield art was blue.

248 (resized).jpg248 (resized).jpg

272 (resized).jpg272 (resized).jpg

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I presume you mean Solid States from 1979-1985 -- pre system 11 (1986).

TNA feels *nothing* like an early solid state game.
Perhaps it feels *something* like a system 11.
The very high speed of the ball, ultimately makes it feel like a modern to me.

Not so much the *feel* of an early SS as much as the *style* of an early SS.

Generally, I would agree the feel is different. However, there are plenty of early Bally/Sterns that are crisp and fast. Flippers on some are plenty strong. Late Williams System 7 games like Laser Cue and Star Light use 50V coils so they're very capable of the same speeds.

But the style of TNA seems very much like an early SS:
1. Lots of flow and almost no stop and go.
2. No ramps.
3. Open playfield.
4. Rules that you can pick up easily after a few plays.
5. Short game times.
6. That "one more game" feel.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the issue here for me is the lack of adequate lighting of all pinballs and TNA was simply being cited as an example. i have posts in the houdini and alien threads that are critical of their dark artwork/lack of GI which results is an inability of track the ball as well as one could/should. i am an advocate for better lighting and anyone/any company working toward improving this aspect of pinball.
here is another example.

So you pull a pic taken with a toy camera. Give it up dude. Your not helping yourself.

#115 6 years ago

You guys have missed his whole sales pitch.

Quoted from greenhornet:

playing experience can be enhanced by a one time low cost mobile lighting solution

#116 6 years ago

Not as fast as TNA but Medusa has a split playfield with no ramps and is a ton of fun to play. Great sound as well. Medusa is my suggestion.

My apologies for going off topic.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys have missed his whole sales pitch.

I request he change his name to Brown Hornet for all the thread dumping he does.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

heres another pic from the ayce gogi tna launch party

All you're showing is that your camera has terrible dynamic range. I'd suggest using a Google Pixel 2 phone, they handle images with stark brightness changes quite well.

Regarding games similar to TNA, I dunno I skimmed this thread and many of the games mentioned to me aren't similar to TNA at all. It does seem fairly unique, not sure what other game could be brought up as similar really.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

... not sure what other game could be brought up as similar really.

You heard him... Shut down the thread mods thanks.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You heard him... Shut down the thread mods thanks.

Just curious, which of the games listed in this thread so far do you think are actually similar to TNA?

#121 6 years ago

The fastest game I've ever played also has a ramp but has many similar features to TNA. That game is RoboCop. In your face stand ups, awesome spinner, rollover lanes, 3 ball multiball but with a sweet jump. In my opinion it scratches a similar itch.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

it is impossible to unsee that swath of black across the middle of the playfield.
in the words of los bravos. black is black.

Black is not the issue. People point out black on playfields when the area is poorly illuminated. In this case the illumination if fine, but the playfield just happens to be black in that location. When you shine a light on black, it's still black. There is no issue seeing the ball when it passes over that area.

#123 6 years ago

Just curious, which of the games listed in this thread so far do you think are actually similar to TNA?

Don't know, haven't played it sadly .

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know, haven't played it sadly .

Sad face indeed. If you lived closer, I'd invite you over...whenever I get it... now but in a month? or two?

#125 6 years ago

Hey @Pinball-Pat, only 4 weeks till YegPin 2018!!!

Hopefully there will be a good collection of solid state games for you to try out. And don't write off those EM's, they can also be a blast.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Sorcerer is the best comparison I can think of . It has a ramp but the ramp is for locking balls. close dangerous shots like TNA . an upper area with it's own flipper that is on the same level as the main playfield . Locked balls can be stolen by other players and multiball is a playfield multiplier like TNA .

I was thinking the same thing!

Not only for the reasons you mentioned but gameplay is very similar too:

Sorcerer: First objective, get to multiball.
TNA: First objective, get to multiball.

Sorcerer: Then, complete Sorcerer targets.
TNA: Then, complete grid targets.

It varies from there but still feels similar.

Sorcerer: Shoot the ramp to progress the playfield X, then rip spinners. Repeat.
TNA: Shoot scoop to start reactor, complete reactor. Repeat.

I love both games!!

#127 6 years ago

Ha!

If you guys are gonna keep playing Scooby Doo on this -- focus on late 80's games with music, target banks, multi-ball, and specifically:

1. a scoop
2. flat (no ramps)
3. no drop target banks
4. orbit shot (even if it's not repeatable)
-
5. I doubt you'll find any pins with only 2 long shots... Only four SS games exist with 2. But see if you can find a pin with the first 3 requirements...

Start there...
-mof

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

here is another example.

I find most games too bright.

No way is TNA a dark game!

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Sorcerer: Shoot the ramp to progress the playfield X, then rip spinners. Repeat.
I love both games!!

I don't know, for me first objective is complete grid targets before ball save runs out, then multiball... this is after missing super skillshot of course

#130 6 years ago

I want to master that super skillshot, but the game I play on has a bit of a stick in the plunger. I think the strategy is setting it at the furthest right lane then trying to just barely make it in. If it's short, no big deal. Fairly safe return to the right flipper then start going to work.

#131 6 years ago

All you're showing is that your camera has terrible dynamic range.

Quoted from gliebig:

So you pull a pic taken with a toy camera. Give it up dude. Your not helping yourself.

to help alleviate that concern i provided EIGHT pics taken by others.
personally, i provided TWO in dim light, and ONE with 1100 lumens of illumination.

most of you probably havent stood in front of the games as they sit at the museum.
they are in fact even darker than my camera phone captures them.

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Also, the silver ball stands out pretty well against the black background of the middle of the playfield.

to some extent, your art director matt andrews disagrees.

Quoted from mandraws:

On the playfield:
I believe the worst thing you can do as an artist is spend so much time creating detail and visual flourish that it ends up making it harder to see the ball. When I play a pinball machine in a dark room and there's tons of detail and black lines on the playfield, I come away feeling like it wasn't a good game because I couldn't see the ball...

In addition, my task was to work within my take on the "outrun" style. Outrun is mostly black with neon lines, sunsets, grids, and things like that, which makes it extremely not user-friendly when trying to track a ball flying around at 174538 mph.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Black is not the issue. People point out black on playfields when the area is poorly illuminated. In this case the illumination if fine, but the playfield just happens to be black in that location. When you shine a light on black, it's still black. There is no issue seeing the ball when it passes over that area.

you are correct. even lit, its still black.
and i believe there are others than just myself who believe there are issues with seeing the ball against black.
matt andrews for one.

i have to believe there were better choices for TNAs center pf colors here that would enable players to see the ball WELL.
especially when taking into consideration the ball spends ~90% of the gametime down there.

-------------------------

lets take a closer look at the epitome of black playfield games. CENTAUR.
first, as it sits at the museum of pinball with its original GI.
beyond the overhead fixtures reflections, the flippers are hardly visible in the darkness.
the backglass reflection serves to hide the true abyss of upper third of the playfield.
in this state, like the games posted earlier, it is virtually unplayable.

285 (resized).jpg285 (resized).jpg

with additional lighting the whites on the pf are more vibrant.
the flippers clearly visible. in the flipper area you can now see what your doing.
the outlanes, apron, orb targets, inline drops, captive ball; all better illuminated.
the reflections from the overhead fixtures and backglass are gone.
a huge improvement.

i still cant believe its super easy to track a ball on black vs something lighter, even when lit.
perhaps midnight blue, like on alien, is the answer.

268 (resized).jpg268 (resized).jpg

#132 6 years ago

let-it-go (resized).jpglet-it-go (resized).jpg

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't know, for me first objective is complete grid targets before ball save runs out, then multiball... this is after missing super skillshot of course

Yeah I know some play it differently. I go for multiball right away per Bowen's suggestion. It's really the safest thing to do.

In Bowen's tutorial he said something like - play the game in multiball. If you're not in multiball, go for multiball.

#134 6 years ago

Bye Felicia.

#135 6 years ago

Check out Black Knight and especially Black Knight 2000. I get some similar intensity playing those as TNA, and although they might be considered 2-level, it really feels more similar to a 1 level with a separate play area like TNA. If your keen on audio, BK2000 especiallly stands out there. I know you said pre system-11, but have to mention it, in case you missed that one if you started with DMDs.

#136 6 years ago

There is no 80’s game like TNA

Thread end

#137 6 years ago

Similar...
1. Black Knight 2000 has only two long shots
2. a very cramped and dangerous lower playfield.

3*. Single flipper on the upper, but... It ends there... *this flipper is much bigger, and gets the ball more often, and has more shots, etc... 3 pops, a ball lock, an orbit, I mean -- c'mon...

Not similar...
1.2. Bk2k has two banks of drops
3. a horseshoe to add flow to the lower
4-9. (many more differences...)

I like this one. I predict it makes the final 9 in the poll.

Mof

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I love both games!!

Maxing everything out and collecting while it's worth the most during multiballs has a simular feel for both these games also .

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Sorcerer is the best comparison I can think of . It has a ramp but the ramp is for locking balls. close dangerous shots like TNA . an upper area with it's own flipper that is on the same level as the main playfield . Locked balls can be stolen by other players and multiball is a playfield multiplier like TNA .

#140 6 years ago

I think Seawitch is the closest comparison to TNA. Orbit shot with spinner. Close-in target banks in the middle and left side. "upper" playfield pop bumper and target area like the reactor. Skill shot from short plunge.

tna (resized).pngtna (resized).png

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Hey Pinball-Pat, only 4 weeks till YegPin 2018!!!
Hopefully there will be a good collection of solid state games for you to try out. And don't write off those EM's, they can also be a blast.

Really excited this year! Bringing my dad too, he might even pick something up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/80%e2%80%99s-games-like-tna/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.