IMG_0083.JPG
377402-i.jpg
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0261.jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I'm rebuilding my drop target/spot target assembly for my Eight Ball Deluxe/

It looks like mine is missing a piece.

I'm thinking that there should be a 1/4 inch diameter rod that runs thru the entire length of the assembly, directly in front of the drop target "shafts". This should be held in place w/ a "e-clip".

Am I correct?

The arrow in the 2nd pic shows where the rod in inserted at the end of the assembly.

DSC_0961.JPGDSC_0961.JPG DSC_0962.JPGDSC_0962.JPG
#2 9 years ago

I have my LE unit out and can verify/shoot a pic tonight if no one else has you covered.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks cody_chunn

I appreciate the help.

#4 9 years ago

If you put a rod through there it would hit all the drop targets.

#5 9 years ago

Here's a pic of mine.....nothing in that hole

IMG_6220.JPGIMG_6220.JPG

#6 9 years ago

Thanks dothedoo

The reason I thought there might be a rod...both of the holes on my assembly show wear, for some reason.

Quoted from dothedoo:

If you put a rod through there it would hit all the drop targets.

Actually, I put a 1/4 steel rod thru the hole...it just barely clears the rib that goes down the front of the drop target.

I thought mayne the 1/4 rod was some re-enforcement for the drop targets.

#7 9 years ago

Be careful of an issue mine had after all new targets were put in. My targets will get off track and reset too high from time to time and also leave up too many targets during multiplayer games when trying to reset the bank to another player's current situation. Still don't know how to fix that.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I thought mayne the 1/4 rod was some re-enforcement for the drop targets.

It's a big bank, any reinforcement would certainly help.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

My targets will get off track

What do you mean by this?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

It's a big bank, any reinforcement would certainly help.

What do you mean by this?

So the back of each drop target has like a curved tab that comes off the back that fits into the slot in the back of the housing. Sometimes the process of the targets resetting knocks that curved tab out of the back of the target bank housing. I just open the coin door and pop it back into the track. Takes two secs and I only have have to do it like once every ten games. But it is annoying.

#10 9 years ago

Wow that's hard to picture what the problem is. I've never had that happen before.

#11 9 years ago

Sounds like the reset bar is travelling to high, allowing that curved plate to jump out the top of the slot. Are the solenoid brackets tight on the coils and pressed toward the plunger? You have to press firmly to compress the spring washer.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Sounds like the reset bar is travelling to high, allowing that curved plate to jump out the top of the slot. Are the solenoid brackets tight on the coils and pressed toward the plunger? You have to press firmly to compress the spring washer.

Never tried this fix before. I will take a look next time I have a chance.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Wow that's hard to picture what the problem is. I've never had that happen before.

I know that someone had the same issue in another game, and his issue was fixed by not having the housing itself screwed into the bottom of the playfield as tight. That didn't work for me.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So the back of each drop target has like a curved tab that comes off the back that fits into the slot in the back of the housing. Sometimes the process of the targets resetting knocks that curved tab out of the back of the target bank housing. I just open the coin door and pop it back into the track. Takes two secs and I only have have to do it like once every ten games. But it is annoying.

Having that 1/4 diameter rod would eliminate that.

#15 9 years ago

Where did you get your rod? Haha that sounds weird.

#16 9 years ago

I had a piece lying around in the shop.

By having the rod installed, the "fingers" can't come out of the slots.

It also doesn't allow the drop targets to reset too high.

DSC_0963.JPGDSC_0963.JPG
#17 9 years ago

bitchin'. thanks so much! cant wait to put this issue to bed.

#18 9 years ago

The problem is...you need to have a machine shop machine the e-clip retainer grooves.

My lathe is down...so I might have to get creative to make the grooves.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The problem is...you need to have a machine shop machine the e-clip retainer grooves.
My lathe is down...so I might have to get creative to make the grooves.

Sorry this will hold the rod in place I assume? Why not just cut the rod a tad long on either side and throw some plunger rod rubber tips on each end haha. Not sure if a shooter rod is a 1/4" though.

#20 9 years ago

or better yet, little zip ties on either side of the housing walls. I would think that should hold her in there. I have to think of more MacGyver esque solutions as I don't have as many tools at my disposal. haha.

#21 9 years ago

OR cut it even longer and drill small holes in it and use cotter pins.

#22 9 years ago

Is the rod hollow? Could you tap it and use machine screws and washers?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

No, it is usually solid round stock. If it were hollow, it would not take the hits very long from the DT pivot plates. It would also wear through very easily on the side walls where the OP showed the part missing from.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

solid

#25 9 years ago

Cotter pins it is

#26 9 years ago

Actually mini-post rings would probably hold it for years...and it might have nyliner bushings on the ends...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Actually mini-post rings would probably hold it for years...and it might have nyliner bushings on the ends...

The diameter of the holes in the sheet metal housing is .253

No room for a nyliner.

#28 9 years ago

HoKay Den,

thanks for the correction. I was rebuilding the multiplier unit last night and remembered seeing a nyliner in there...I think...

#29 9 years ago

The nyliners are on the reset bar...where it pivots.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Be careful of an issue mine had after all new targets were put in. My targets will get off track and reset too high from time to time and also leave up too many targets during multiplayer games when trying to reset the bank to another player's current situation. Still don't know how to fix that.

I never needed that rod on any of my EBD machines.

It definitely didn't come with one from the factory.

I would check the one that keeps popping out for damage and make sure the back plate isn't screwed-up or assembled incorrectly. When everything is assembled correctly the targets should not be able to come out of the slots.

#31 9 years ago

Well I'm already at HD getting this rod made. How long should I make it and leave me enough to leave about an inch on either side?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I would check the one that keeps popping out for damage and make sure the back plate isn't screwed-up or assembled incorrectly. When everything is assembled correctly the targets should not be able to come out of the slots.

I had a similar problem on my Kings of Steel.

Someone didn't assemble;e the drop target/spot target assembly correctly.

#33 9 years ago

Other than my assembly showing wear in that .253 dia. hole...I don't think the assembly is supposed to have that rod.

#34 9 years ago

Also, it is completely random which target gets off track when it happens and sometimes 2 or 3 targets will do it.

#35 9 years ago

I would check to make sure you back plate is mounted on the outside of the bends on the upper plate...and on the INSIDE of the bend on the lower plate.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Other than my assembly showing wear in that .253 dia. hole...I don't think the assembly is supposed to have that rod.

They never had a rod in that hole. The only variation in the drop target assemblies over the three production runs was the addition of a bolt-on plate with fingers to prevent the ball from getting stuck between the targets when they are in the down position and the addition of an extra connector to the switch matrix.

IMG_0261.jpgIMG_0261.jpg

If you have a 1981 version, they do not have the plate but by the third edition they all have it. It was a factory improvement based on complaints in the field. I really shouldn't tell you this but whenever I see one I snag it because it can be added to the earlier assemblies. It's a real nice enhancement and I even considered manufacturing them myself a while back but didn't think there would be that big of a demand since the ball only get's hung-up between the targets on rare occasions when the ball speed is just right. You'll find these on EBD models that have the extra switch connector. Seems like the two revisions coincided on the production line.

The addition of the connector to the switch array makes removing the drop target assembly a lot easier. With the earlier models, the switches are hard-wired to the main harness but the later models everything simply unplugs using a Molex connector. Some of the Limited Edition pins with serial numbers near the end of the run have these revisions and all of the Classic edition pins have these minor (but nice) improvements.

Other than that though, the drop target assemblies are identical for all three versions.

#37 9 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation Gatecrasher.

My LE must be one of the later runs. I have the "ball trap" metal pieces in place.

I've got the drop target section rebuilt on my so far. Today I plan on cleaning/adjusting the switches on this assembly. Also plan on installing new drop target faces and rebuilding the drop target coils.

#38 9 years ago

That 1/4" rod I made didn't fit in my housing (that's what she said). I will go back to HD and make another later. In the mean time, I will try the other fixed mentioned here. Also very interesting facts about the variances of the target assembly in the difference versions of the game.

"I would check to make sure you back plate is mounted on the outside of the bends on the upper plate...and on the INSIDE of the bend on the lower plate."

Checked this last night and it seems to be assembled correctly.

#39 9 years ago

My unit off an original run (I think) doesn't have a round shaft, but it does have a flat black rail adjacent to those holes.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

My unit off an original run (I think) doesn't have a round shaft, but it does have a flat black rail adjacent to those holes.

The black "rail" has holes for attaching the return springs to the drop targets.

#41 9 years ago

My 1980 is the same as dothedoo's pic. i.e. no rod.

Note that without the 'rod mod', the flat black rail is flipped such that the screw tabs point to the rear of the targets.

#42 9 years ago

I looked at my LE unit and it has the rod installed.

#43 9 years ago

interesting. I still need to try your fix chunn, but this rod seems to be the permanent fix. I will need to get something a tad smaller than 1/4" though.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I looked at my LE unit and it has the rod installed.

Well after looking at pics of an unmolested Classic Edition, it does have the smaller diameter rod shown in the original post. But not the larger one. The original EBD does not have either. Other differences are the piece of metal used to attach the springs is flipped around to the opposite side (as backbox mentioned) and it has the additional bracket at the bottom to better adjust the drop target height. It looks like this is yet another factory mod that was used on at least the later Limited Edition pins and all of the Classic Edition.

Thanks for bringing this up. I will be adding this to my notes.

#45 9 years ago

Alrighty then. I decided to refresh my own memory and pulled both styles of drop target assemblies from inventory. In the pic below are the two styles side by side. The one on the left is the original 1981 design and on the right is the later 1983 revised design. This is how they look when removed from the playfield.

IMG_0060.JPGIMG_0060.JPG

As you can see in this next pic, the older design on the left has a smaller Molex connector than the one on the right. That is because as mentioned earlier the later design simply unplugs from the main wiring harness while switches and main coils were hard wired on the older style. Only the smaller individual coils utilized a Molex connector. This made the older style more of a PITA to remove because you have to unscrew all of the switches while the later style can be removed as a complete assembly (as shown in the picture).

IMG_0067.JPGIMG_0067.JPG

The next picture shows the fingers I described that bolt to the front of the drop targets that prevent the ball from getting hung-up between the drop targets when they are down. This was an improvement made to the 2nd design. The original 1981 EBD does not have these.

IMG_0070.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

From the bottom you can see another improvement that was made in 1983 with the addition of a bracket that allows the drop target height in the down position to be adjusted to make them more flush with the playfield. This again was added to prevent hang-ups and to compensate for variations in the targets and the stamped housings. Nice feature.

IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0079.JPGIMG_0079.JPG

Last but not least is the original question of this thread. Was there ever a rod in the hole with the arrow in this picture from the original post?

377402-i.jpg377402-i.jpg

The answer is YES there was a rod in that hole! It is the small diameter rod in the hole next to it. You have the rod in the wrong hole. The hole you have it in in your pic is a threaded hole meant for the spring bracket on the earlier style that is not used with the later revision. The rod is supposed to float around loosely in the larger hole (see pic below).

IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0083.JPG

That's why the hole has the marks in the plating like it does. All you need to do is to remove the rod you already have and move it to the larger hole to return it to the factory setup. As you can see by the pink arrows, the spring bracket was flipped around from the original style. This places the springs outward a little more giving them more tension on the retaining shelf in the up position.

So just take your rod and remove it from the hole it is currently in and move it to the correct hole (yellow arrow) and you should be good to go. Although I rarely have any problems with the original design these minor tweaks were made to the 2nd design as the result of complaints in the field. I estimate only around 2,000 pins made probably have the 2nd design. Part of the Limited Edition run and all of the Classic Edition final run. The other 10,000 or so have the original setup. That's why if you see one of the later versions of these for sale on eBay or somewhere it is worth snatching up these more rare assemblies because you can convert your original style to the later design.

As mentioned by others too, you can flip the spring bracket around on an older style and add a rod on your own too if you like. I don't because I never really had to but it is something that can be done if you feel you need it. But if you have target popping out of the assembly I would first determine if you have it assembled correctly.

#46 9 years ago

Gatecrasher,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to look into this.

I didn't realize when I posted that there would be this much interest.

It just seems odd that the small diameter rod is "floating" in such a large diameter hole.

I wonder exactly what purpose it serves.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Gatecrasher,
Thank you SO much for taking the time to look into this.
I didn't realize when I posted that there would be this much interest.
It just seems odd that the small diameter rod is "floating" in such a large diameter hole.
I wonder exactly what purpose it serves.

Well, like others have mentioned it was probably to restrict the movement of the targets and to prevent them from possibly resetting too high. I've never had the problem with the older style though.

#48 9 years ago

Alright guys. I think from the pictures and comments above I see my issue. Doesn't my housing look like there areimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg way bigger gaps for the arms that push up the targets than the pictures above?

#49 9 years ago

I think this might be allowing the arms to get out of whack after repeated drops and resets because they have too much room to move around.

#50 9 years ago

Is that plate on backward? Something looks wonky there...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/8-ball-deluxe-drop-tartgetspot-target-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.