3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by phillymadison
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170413_075001 (resized).jpg
    IMAG5832_(resized).jpg
    IMAG5826_(resized).jpg
    PigglyWiggly-Logomarkhighres_(resized).jpg
    Red_Owl_(resized).jpg
    who_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMAG0649_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    magnetbox_(resized).png
    20150705222824835_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0650_(resized).jpg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I usually keep the smaller electronic parts in parts boxes that I get from walmart. Then I put all the boxes on a shelf and slide them out as needed. Parts drawers end up being half empty and waste too much space.
    I've only been using parts drawers for ICs and hardware since they can easily fill a parts drawer (which means little wasted space)
    20150705222824835_(resized).jpg

I love these modular SMD component bins. Every time I buy some transistor or small hardware or like a tiny nylon spacer for $0.04 I buy a bunch of extras and they're perfect for little crap you don't want to waste big bins on.

pasted_image_(resized).png

#52 3 years ago

Picked up 2 of the large bin variety. Mounted them to a wall to eliminate the possibility of dumping everything on the floor while looking for a part.

image_(resized).jpeg

#53 3 years ago

Did Aldis sell horse meat as ground beef? Thought I heard that.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

That was Ikea....

#55 3 years ago

Swedish horse meat. Sold under product name "WILBURR"

#56 3 years ago

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/aldi.asp

According to snopes, a supplier did that, but the tainted products did not enter the US.

[edit]: more info on the supplier:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comigel#Horse_meat_contamination
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_meat_adulteration_scandal

Also note: this is ancient history in terms of the food supply, so no need to worry about it.

#57 3 years ago

Horse meat, cow meat. Same same.

#58 3 years ago

When I was in Japan, they wanted me to try raw horse head sashimi, I told them to I will pass.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/aldi.asp
    According to snopes, a supplier did that, but the tainted products did not enter the US.
    [edit]: more info on the supplier:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comigel#Horse_meat_contamination
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_meat_adulteration_scandal
    Also note: this is ancient history in terms of the food supply, so no need to worry about it.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story....

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I love these modular SMD component bins. Every time I buy some transistor or small hardware or like a tiny nylon spacer for $0.04 I buy a bunch of extras and they're perfect for little crap you don't want to waste big bins on.

Those look nice.... Where would one get those?

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Those look nice.... Where would one get those?

Adafruit sells them pretty expensive: https://www.adafruit.com/categories/152

I go on Aliexpress and search for the cheapest bulk ones I can get. I paid $50 for 200 of the small ones and $57 for 100 of the medium ones last year.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

All the SoCal Aldi's opened yesterday(March 24th). Those poor people.......

when did detroit get an in and out burger???

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's the same size as any other storage drawer thing (same as the HF $14.99 unit), maybe ~18x12" but don't quote me on that.

Aldi is one of those ecco stores where you bring your own reusable bags and return your shopping cart back to the rack for .25 cents instead of leaving it out in the parking lot to scratch up my vehicle.
    Lots of hormone-free and non-gmo foods, Girlscout cookies all year around. Food of the week sales, so one week is all German import foods, another Italian or Asian.
    In Europe, Aldi is much larger, kind of like a Super K-Mart.
    In the States, Aldi is smaller - I can buy all my groceries and be back in my truck before I could even get to the Milk isle at Martins.

Vid, when you're here in the states, we must be somewhat close geographically. Martins... Stay safe..

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Vid, when you're here in the states, we must be somewhat close geographically. Martins... Stay safe..

Is vid working undercover with Al Queda?

#65 3 years ago

Love the Aldi's!

#66 3 years ago

Couldn't find them at my Aldi yesterday.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Is vid working undercover with Al Queda?

Al Qaeda is old news, come join me in the fastest growing movement in the world!

who_(resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago

... am I the only one "disturbed" by the Terrorist jokes?
    Personally - no place in a pinball thread.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Probably.

Come visit Yemen with me; all we've got are terrorist jokes.

Try being 6'8" in Yemen, it's a joke all in itself.

#70 3 years ago

I have a cousin that used to travel the world going to Malaysia and Indonesia etc for business. He's 6'7", used to play college football. He said he was always a head taller than everyone else, would stand out in those parts of the world.

#71 3 years ago

What is the difference between ALDI and LIDL?

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

What is the difference between ALDI and LIDL?

They are rivals in Europe.

No LIDL yet in USA that I've seen, but I'm sure with Aldi's success, it won't be long......

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Personally - no place in a pinball thread.

Good thing this is an Aldi thread.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

This is the one i will always buy when they have it. It's a Pils from Hamburg....it's good, but they don't always have it. So I stock up when they do. I think it's about $30-$35 a case.
    They also do some local ales and lagers which are just rebranded big Australian beer brands. They're as good as any of the local beers.
    No plastic bottles - doubt that would sell at all here.
    image_(resized).jpeg

I'm an Aldi convert! I try and get a $33 carton of Storm (made in New Zealand) beer. My friends kind of reel in horror when I tell them it's Aldi beer. The label and taste remind me of Japanese beer, Asahi. Will now have to try your German beer for something different. All the Storm cartons have been sold out lately.

#75 3 years ago

Haufbrahaus beer during October is unreal, was 55$ a case though.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No LIDL yet in USA that I've seen, but I'm sure with Aldi's success, it won't be long......

LIDL has bought or leased five sites around Richmond, VA, but nothing has opened yet.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from LarryMac:

LIDL has bought or leased five sites around Richmond, VA,

The invasion begins.
    What happened to the good ol' days
    of the Red Owl Market and the Piggly Wiggly?!?!

Red_Owl_(resized).jpg

PigglyWiggly-Logomarkhighres_(resized).jpg

#78 3 years ago

Aldi is nasty, I consider it a welfare store. Went there once and it reminded me of a food pantry. Maybe different in Europe, but in Michigan we have much better choices for grocery stores. Meijers, Kroger, and Holiday Market for the high end items.

#79 3 years ago

Aldi is nasty, I consider it a welfare store. Went there once and it reminded me of a food pantry. Maybe different in Europe, but in Michigan we have much better choices for grocery stores. Meijers, Kroger, and Holiday Market for the high end items.

The one near me is nice. It's clean and well lit. ALDI stores are simply a bit more bare-bones than most American supermarkets that you are accustomed to. They simply don't bother with taking the time with shelf presentation too much. I'm fine with that if it keeps the prices down. Like any store, some products are good, some aren't.

#80 3 years ago

Aldi is nasty, I consider it a welfare store. Went there once and it reminded me of a food pantry. Maybe different in Europe, but in Michigan we have much better choices for grocery stores.

Must be a Detroit area thing.

All the Aldi by my house are clean and well stocked.

#81 3 years ago

same here, yes they are cheaper and have stuff on pallets but it is far from nasty.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Must be a Detroit area thing.
    All the Aldi by my house are clean and well stocked.

My Aldi is nice and was built new from the ground up, but still some of my friends insult it like they are somehow above shopping there. I have to tell them to give it another chance. Not having shelves, having to pay for bags and loan out a quarter to get a cart doesn't mean the products are bad. They have good quality food and stuff for cheap and the checkout is surprisingly fast. No frills does not equate to welfare.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

No frills does not equate to welfare.

Exactly.

I'd encourage welfare recipients to shop at Aldi because the produce is super fresh (unlike Kr*ger)

Trader Joe's and Stacy both make you bring your own bags, are they somehow ghetto too?

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
    I'd encourage welfare recipients to shop at Aldi because the produce is super fresh (unlike Kr*ger)
    Trader Joe's and Stacy both make you bring your own bags, are they somehow ghetto too?

The produce I've experienced at Aldi's has been ripe bordering on rotten. If you like ripe bananas they are the place as they mark them down to like 25¢ a 1 1/2 pound bag.

I've been to TJ's all over the Country and was never forced to bring my own bags. Including Store #1 in Pasadena. Right next door to Lucky Boy Hamburgers. Check out the breakfast sandwich. Amazingly low prices (cash only) especially for what you get. One sandwich is easily enough for two.

IMAG5826_(resized).jpg
    IMAG5832_(resized).jpg

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The produce I've experienced at Aldi's has been ripe bordering on rotten. If you like ripe bananas they are the place as they mark them down to like 25¢ a 1 1/2 pound bag.

It's got to be a Detroit thing.

Maybe Lidl will send all their crap to Detroit too once they arrive?

"What do we do with all this rotten food?"
    "Send it to the Detroit area, those pigs will eat anything....."

#86 3 years ago

Aldi has some great meat as well. The ribs I've gotten there are "never frozen", it makes a difference. I've also bought pork loin as well that was better than most grocery stores. Like Vid said some stuffs great, some stuff not so much.

#87 3 years ago

Guess what was I picked up today at the Aldi in Netherlands .....

Apparently a worldwide campaign

#88 3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Vid. I was able to pick one up.

Probably should have gotten two or three.

#89 3 years ago

I stopped by ALDI's yesterday and noticed that all the tool stuff was gone. It was replaced by gardening stuff.

#90 3 years ago

Aldi's must have changed since I was last at one. We had them in St. Louis when I lived there around 2000 and they were the home of ramen, generics, dented cans, and grade E beef (the lowest grade for human consumption and used by Taco Bell), and I could never remember to bring a quarter so I could get a shopping cart.

#91 3 years ago

would never go to a Aldi store in my life...they tread their employes like sh*t.....

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

they tread their employes like sh*t.....

Most do...

#93 3 years ago

They also pay them pretty decent for retail

#94 3 years ago

Aldi is great! (Note, not "Aldi's"! You don't say Walmart's, Target's, etc.)

The ones around here are nice and clean. I've been to Walmarts that were just horrible while traveling, but those are nice round here too. Guess it has to do with the class of people in the vicinity. Here a lot of folks return their cart but just leave the quarter in for the next person!

Can't beat the deals there. (e.g. heat & serve breakfast sausages, a buck. English muffins, a buck.) And they have a double guarantee, if you are dissatisfied with something they will give you a replacement AND give your money back! And the meats and produce are fine, usually. Dairy and baked goods are as good as anywhere. They have also been expanding their selection of organic and no-gluten stuff, removing HFCS from things, etc.

One opens in my town later this year! That will save me some running.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The ones around here are nice and clean. I've been to Walmarts that were just horrible while traveling, but those are nice round here too. Guess it has to do with the class of people in the vicinity. Here a lot of folks return their cart but just leave the quarter in for the next person!

Very true...I've also been to a couple walmarts in low-income areas while traveling that were just downright scungy. The location and demographic does seem to make a bit of a difference.

#96 3 years ago

Funny when I first saw this thread, the bins in the picture looked like one of the tiny sets. I was in Aldi today and came across these bins and was surprised at how big it is. It is truly a great deal for $7.99! I bought one and might grab a couple more after I fill this one. I notice they can hang on the wall too. Might have to try that to conserve space.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Swedish horse meat. Sold under product name "WILBURR"

Just so wrong ... and quotable.

Aldi is just opening stores here in SoCal, but the nearest one opening to me is way over in Anaheim. They've been running commercials on local radio for months offering jobs.

I don't know if I'll be shopping there or not, but I will have to check them out. But I've gotten accustom to shopping at Stater Bros. and Smart and Final Express, and there's lots of them in my area.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

The invasion begins.
    What happened to the good ol' days
    of the Red Owl Market and the Piggly Wiggly?!?!

Red_Owl_(resized).jpgPigglyWiggly-Logomarkhighres_(resized).jpg

Oh do I remember those in town here.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Just so wrong ... and quotable.
    Aldi is just opening stores here in SoCal, but the nearest one opening to me is way over in Anaheim. They've been running commercials on local radio for months offering jobs.
    I don't know if I'll be shopping there or not, but I will have to check them out. But I've gotten accustom to shopping at Stater Bros. and Smart and Final Express, and there's lots of them in my area.

Whenever I'm in the LA or Inland Empire areas, I always shop at Stater Bros. Supermarkets. They carry the full line there of Shasta beverages too.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh do I remember those in town here

I spent my first 7 yrs in So Dakota; also where I was introduced to pinball
    and forever addicted.
    Red Owl had a small grocery store in the town I was born, Hoven (Population 500),
    though it shut down years ago.
    The Piggly Wiggly in Aberdeen S.D. still might be going strong though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside