c41338e7e4fb899c274be0b590a220f5--bald-guy-belly-laughs (resized).jpg
fedex1 (resized).jpg
fedex2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2592 (resized).JPG
IMG_2594 (resized).JPG
2cdc35ebac7a81aa5a2210f79e411508a900705197c7abe52c2b10405189f163 (resized).jpg
IMG_2559 (resized).JPG
IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I picked up a non-booting, but cosmetically decent Genie recently. This is my 2nd Genie, which says a lot because I've rarely doubled down on a game.

I'm a little bit worried, because our local PCB genius has been over this game without success (yes, I'm looking at you Brian). ...I'm going to strip/touch-up/clear the playfield. Stay tuned as I mess it up....

IMG_1968 (resized).JPGIMG_1968 (resized).JPG
IMG_1971 (resized).JPGIMG_1971 (resized).JPG
IMG_1950 (resized).JPGIMG_1950 (resized).JPG
IMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2072 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Very cool, beautiful looking game. I have one coming home with me soon too. I'll look forward to your updates.

#3 6 years ago

I love Genie. The sounds burrow into your brain.

#4 6 years ago

Nice restoration starting up. Please do yourself a favor and get new clear posts from PBR. Those are not very nice.

Yves

#5 6 years ago

Congrats on your purchase, Brad. Yeah there sure were some things I still wanted to get done to the game, but had too many distractions along with the previous owner working a lot so that hurt when I was available to get out there The original MPU had some battery corrosion, but for a while I had it working, but it was short lived.

I imagine you noticed the fuse breaker I added in the cabinet for the drop taget target assembly. If I remember correctly, the fuse for the drop Target was 5 amps. I took some measurements and it was drawing pretty much close to 8 amps when it would fire and then blowing out this fuse after spiking a couple times. I did not want just to put in a bigger fuse until I found that is what was required. But that was low on the priority list until I got the game working reliably

I look forward to seeing the final result.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Please do yourself a favor and get new clear posts from PBR. Those are not very nice.

Those were right outa the game. Here's another shot after my high-tech method of running them through the dishwasher. You can also see I've tumbled a few parts while I wait for new supplies to arrive.

IMG_2104 (resized).JPGIMG_2104 (resized).JPG
IMG_2107 (resized).JPGIMG_2107 (resized).JPG

IMG_2088 (resized).JPGIMG_2088 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Those were right outa the game. Here's another shot after my high-tech method of running them through the dishwasher. You can also see I've tumbled a few parts while I wait for new supplies to arrive.

Much better. I stand corrected.

After restoring my Buck Rogers, I found out that quite a few of these clear posts were cracked. I do not know if it is the result of ball impacts or over-zealous operators. It did not hurt to replace them all for 50 cents a piece.

Your posts are in a much better condition than were mine. They may easily last another 10 to 20 years.

Yves

#8 6 years ago

A few more pics of the teardown....

IMG_2115 (resized).JPGIMG_2115 (resized).JPG
IMG_2118 (resized).JPGIMG_2118 (resized).JPG
IMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 (resized).JPG
IMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPG
IMG_2121 (resized).JPGIMG_2121 (resized).JPG

In the pic above, you can see one of the previous owners hacked up a couple of the connector bundles. Uggg... I should be getting a load of parts this week, including new connectors and pins from GPE - and I splurged on a new PI 1x4 board.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

splurged on a new PI 1x4 board.

I think this is the best thing you can do for any system one game i did it for Count-Down i parted ways with and have one in my Genie. I have the extra functions on like having a skill shot.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

I have the extra functions on like having a skill shot.

Yep, in addition to helping to make the game run rock-solid, it adds a ton of new features as well - definately worth the $$ IMHO.

My new PinTisserie™ - Playfield rotisserie from Marco arrived yesterday. How did I ever go this long without one??

IMG_2126 (resized).JPGIMG_2126 (resized).JPG

IMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2136 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

Top of playfield has been stripped of everything except the pop bumpers. Before taking the time to remove them, I decided to go ahead and give it a quick first pass cleaning. Here is a before and after pic:

Before:
IMG_2154 (resized).JPGIMG_2154 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_2181 (resized).JPGIMG_2181 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

DISCLAIMER:

Before I get too far along, I want to stress that I am NOT doing a full restoration. I like to think of what I do more as a 'players restoration' - where the game plays and looks as good as new (or better) from the players point of view. That means I'm not too concerned with polishing parts on the underside of the playfield, or repainting the inside of the cabinet. Don't get me wrong, I really admire the guys who have the patience, skill and tools to do all that. ...but I'll leave that to the pro's like HEP (if you have not seen his threads - he is the pinacle of pinball restoration). I'm just a guy doing this in his garage for fun.

With that said, I do try to 'up my game' each time, and with that in mind I spent a little extra for some 2PAC in a can. ...read some good things about it - hope it works out ok.

IMG_2131 (resized).JPGIMG_2131 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

I'm about to do the same thing with my own Genie. The one I bought, thankfully, came with an extra NOS playfield, so I don't have anything to do there. I just need to do a full swap of parts. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

#14 6 years ago

Got the pops removed and gave the playfield a final cleaning before laying down the first coat of clear. ...and yeah, the milar rings just came right off - which was nice.

IMG_2196 (resized).JPGIMG_2196 (resized).JPG
IMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2197 (resized).JPG
IMG_2198 (resized).JPGIMG_2198 (resized).JPG
IMG_2210 (resized).JPGIMG_2210 (resized).JPG
IMG_2217 (resized).JPGIMG_2217 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPGIMG_2218 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

Looking good man, will definitely be following.

#16 6 years ago

Nice work.

Yes, the mylars are barely glued on these old System 1. When I restored my Buck Rogers, it was the same for me. Quite a contrast with the Bally early SS, where you have to use all kinds of incantations and chemicals to get them out without destroying the artwork.

Before going any further, I would fill up the inserts with clear coat. Especially on the bottom section of the playfield.
You can then sand and clear again.

Also, I would touch up some of the damaged playfield (i.e. the red on the last picture) areas, before the next Clear coat. Most of the colors can be matched directly with Liquitex Acrylics, without any mixing.

Yves

#17 6 years ago

I'm doing the same treatment to my Party Zone, not going to be high end either. So I'm going to follow along too.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks Arcane. Yep, that's the plan. This was the 'sealing' coat. I'll lightly sand this layer, then do any paint touch-ups and fill the inserts before the final coats.

And at some point I still need to re-pin all the connectors - not really looking forward to that. ...it's not terrible, just tedious.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

And at some point I still need to re-pin all the connectors - not really looking forward to that. ...it's not terrible, just tedious.

I'm going to be doing that too...it's probably why I'm procrastinating. Haha.

#20 6 years ago

I'm interested in the clear coat product you are using?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

I'm interested in the clear coat product you are using?

There is a whole thread on that. It averages about $20 a can if you buy 5 since it is UPS ground shipping only in the USA.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/spraymax-2-part-2k-urethane-aerosol-clear-coat-p3685.html

#22 6 years ago

Thanks. Let us know how it works.

#23 6 years ago

Looks like a bit of orange peel. I had the same problem, but I thought it was because of humidity, not sure.

Be safe and wear proper respirator and skin and eye protection! If you can smell it you're not protected.

#24 6 years ago

Following. Not a bad looking game to start with to be honest. I have always been freaked out about doing my own clearcoating, but it looks like you're jumping right in! Any good links you'd recommend on doing the 2PAC?

#25 6 years ago

1st coat of clear has been sanded, and touch-up work has started.

IMG_2219 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPG

Key lines re-painted
IMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

How, what did you clean the playfield with before clear coating it? And pre clear coating did you sand or do anything for clear to bond? I have a playfield I'm going to do this to as well clear and touch ups and then clear some more. So as much as you can share would be great.

#27 6 years ago

Before the first coar of clear, I cleaned the playfield with Novus 2, then Naptha, and used some Magic Eraser on the ball trails and swirls.

Honestly, I don't feel 100% comfortable giving 'restoration' advice - I'm a hack. For good advice, go read one of Vid's guides, or check out a thread from HEP or Brain f'ing Kelly. Those guys do it right. I take shortcuts...cut corners... have crappy tools and work out of my garage. ...so while I like to think I may inspire someone who isn't an expert to save a machine that's otherwise headed fo the trash, I certainly do not want to hold myself out as an expert in the process. For the most part, I do it for fun. I enjoy trying to do as best I can with what i have.

#28 6 years ago

For "a hack" you're off to a good start. For sure you're going to end up with a vastly improved playfield.

#29 6 years ago

Just curious at some point I will be doing this to. I'm just a guy with players games so this will be a first for me.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Just curious at some point I will be doing this to. I'm just a guy with players games so this will be a first for me.

#31 6 years ago

Did the acetone remove any paint or the top coat in your prep for clearing?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Did the acetone remove any paint or the top coat in your prep for clearing?

D'oh! It was Naptha - not Acetone. I used Naptha after the Novus.

...geez - now you see why I'm not 100% comfortable giving advice - that would have been very bad advice. I've fixed my original post.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

D'oh! It was Naptha - not Acetone. I used Naptha after the Novus.
...geez - now you see why I'm not 100% comfortable giving advice - that would have been very bad advice. I've fixed my original post.

Must had been drinking that day?

#34 6 years ago

Nice progress Brad.....coming along nicely for a hack

You taking in any work?

#35 6 years ago

I was getting tired of my Genie. Until I heard Jeff's suggestion to replace the ball with a ceramic Power-ball.

Damn!

The ball flys around faster and is more chaotic. But oddly the ball times are longer. Frequently I can complete more objectives, get A-B-C-D or the upper drops. I don't get it. But my friends say it night and day different, for the better, and I agree.

Sunking your restoration is coming along nice, have you found the matching touch up colors in off the shelf flavors? This thread is getting me motivated to strip down my Genie... Thanks for the motivating thread.

#36 6 years ago

Will you paint the upper area there? looks like a bad grind area, you should try to atleast fix it somewhat.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Must had been drinking that day?

Probably the day I WASN'T drinking.... that would explain it.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Nice progress Brad.....coming along nicely for a hack
You taking in any work?

Thanks Jim! I'm always looking for a fun project.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Sunking your restoration is coming along nice, have you found the matching touch up colors in off the shelf flavors? This thread is getting me motivated to strip down my Genie... Thanks for the motivating thread.

Thank you! Yep, I'm just using the standard Creatix paints - got 'em from Hobby Lobby. It takes a bit of trail and error to get 'em mixed right to match the somewhat faded colors on the playfield.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Will you paint the upper area there? looks like a bad grind area, you should try to at least fix it somewhat.

Yep...that was tough, and honestly I'm not really proud of what I did there. Here are pictures from after all the paint touch-ups, and after the 2nd coat of clear. My plan is to sand down this coat, put on another - sand that down - then apply the final (4th) coat before final sand and polish.

For the upper area that was blown out - the PROPER way to handle that is with frisket mask, airbrush tools, etc. However, I don't have an airbrush, and when I priced a few - seems a decent one runs well over $100. So, being the hack I am, I took a shortcut. I painted the entire yellow area with a fat brush. It took a few coats to cover and even out. I then took 1000 grit sandpaper and sanded it out some to smooth out the brushstrokes. Then...and get ready for the purists to cringe...I used press on letters for the text. Uggg... Well, it came out ok - not something that will pass a close inspection - but better than just leaving as it was IMHO.

IMG_2268 (resized).JPGIMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2265 (resized).JPGIMG_2265 (resized).JPG
IMG_2262 (resized).JPGIMG_2262 (resized).JPG
IMG_2258 (resized).JPGIMG_2258 (resized).JPG
IMG_2255 (resized).JPGIMG_2255 (resized).JPG
IMG_2254 (resized).JPGIMG_2254 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Looking good, well done!

#42 6 years ago

Hah, looks A-OK, on my first paint-fix i misjudged the color on my Dolly Parton playfield and had it turn dark red instead of blood red, so if this is your first paint job you sure made it look good.

Keep on paintin'

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Thanks Jim! I'm always looking for a fun project.

Then do I have a project for you.....only needs a little touch up before moving on to clearing
IMG_3246 (resized).JPGIMG_3246 (resized).JPG
IMG_3247 (resized).JPGIMG_3247 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

...only needs a little touch up before moving on to clearing

Yikes! ...well, at least the rubbers look ok. Think I'll have to pass on that one.

I decided to let the 2nd coat of clear cure for a bit longer, so started working on re-pinning connectors. It's tedious, but once you get on a roll it goes pretty quick. Snip, strip, crimp, insert - rinse and repeat over and over...

IMG_2271 (resized).JPGIMG_2271 (resized).JPG
IMG_2275 (resized).JPGIMG_2275 (resized).JPG
IMG_2282 (resized).JPGIMG_2282 (resized).JPG
IMG_2284 (resized).JPGIMG_2284 (resized).JPG
IMG_2288 (resized).JPGIMG_2288 (resized).JPG
IMG_2286 (resized).JPGIMG_2286 (resized).JPG
IMG_2287 (resized).JPGIMG_2287 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago

Where did you get the actual connector plastics at? I need to redo my James Bond ones.

#46 6 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ Search for 'Edge Connectors' They do not come pre-labeled, I did that with some nifty press on letters from Hobby Lobby.

#47 6 years ago

You and your fancy labelled connectors

#48 6 years ago

Well.....crap. I had two cans of clear left, and decided I'd use both to try and slather it on thick and hopefully be done with it. I sanded and cleanded the playfield before applying, but unfortunately, I'm not happy with the results. There wasn't enough clear to completely level the inserts. To make matters worse - on the last can I got some condensation that dripped from the spray nozzle onto the playfield.

Damnit.

I tried to see if I could polish it all out - started with 400 grit to level, then went to 1000, then 1500 and finally 2000 before starting with the rubbing compound, polishing compound, etc. After working on it for a while, I could tell it just wasn't going to come out nice enough to warrant the effort. I don't want to spend another 5+ hours polishing this playfield to a nice, clear shine if the inserts are not completely level, and there are other imperfections. So, I decided to order some more clear. My goal is to get everything level so I can put down a thick enough coat of clear that will not require hours and hours of sanding and polishing to get a smooth clear finish. I've seen it. If I can get everything level and then apply enough clear, I may be able to just let it dry and be done with it.

The good news is that my Pascal PI 1x4 board has arrived. Now I can finish re-pinning all the connectors, and get most everything else cleaned up and ready to go.

IMG_2334 (resized).JPGIMG_2334 (resized).JPG

IMG_2330 (resized).JPGIMG_2330 (resized).JPG

IMG_2332 (resized).JPGIMG_2332 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure vid mentions in his thread that dripping 2pac into sunken inserts is the way to go. Spraying a lot won't level itself over an insert. I think the surface tension is too high for that. SO building it up higher and then sanding flat was what he suggests.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Well.....crap. I had two cans of clear left

I have some at my house if you need more to finish it off. I can double check tonight to be sure it hasn't expired.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/79-genie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.