• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ChrisM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Bally Playboy continued:
Got my rebuilt MPU and put it in today, boots up fine.... I get the 7-flashes but no tune/sound... is this a sound issue ??
Took the only fully working display and put it in Position-1, game starts but still... no sound, ball doesn't kick out and no other solenoids working, manually checked Solenoid Driver board, did the ground test to the collectors and most engaged a Solenoid and the relay on the board engaged as well but didn't get a reaction from all the collectors, is this normal ??
I tried the self test switch on the coin door and nothing, pushed once, then twice, then three times and so on and still nothing, the only thing that did happen is a few of the bulbs under the playfield flashed dimly ??
I need help to figure this one out.

#2 10 years ago

REMPins:

The sound board either needs a recap (always recommended), and/or the 555 or LM380 are bad. Possibly the ROM at the upper left of the board, but not likely. Also check solder joints.

Sounds like the 43V is OK for your solenoids. make sure you check AL fuses, especially if there is one under the playfield. Possible reasons that MPU wil not communicate to solenoid driver include:

1) If your original MPU was very, very damaged, and battery crud got into the connector at the lower left of the MPU, this will cause solenoid issues
2) Be sure on the solenoid driver board to check al the solder joints. Cracked solder joints are common and problematic.
3) The small pinned connectors at the right of the solenoid driver MUST be clean - use a fine (320-400 grit) sandpaper to clean them off. This is your communication point to the SDB.
4) The solenoid driver REALLY should be checked/ground upgraded/fresh 5V recapped

Those are the significant items that come to mind at this point. Your replacement/rebuilt MPU was play tested with 2732 ROMS in my EBD, and validated on the Bally tester, so for those unaware who read here and wish to add, know that the MPU has been properly serviced and can be ruled out as problematic.

Chris

#3 10 years ago

The voltage on both boards at each TP was good.
I'm getting a complete rebuild kit for the Voltage Regulator..... the 20-header pin and connector are burn't and the resistors are getting excessively hot so I'm rebuilding and upgrading the board. Meanwhile I'll get a recap kit for the sound board.

On the Solenoid Driver should I get a response from each transistors collector doing the ground test.

#4 10 years ago

Good, voltage supplies on those early games are usually in very bad shape from sitting for hours on end powered up which generates a lot of heat. More heat = more resistance = more heat, a deadly cycle.

Recap on the sound board MAY fix your issues, if not, let me know.

Yes, you should get a response from each transistor on the SDB. If you don't, it can be a bad transistor - not uncommon.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/78-bally-playboy-issue-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.