Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinballAir
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So im restoring a 78 playboy and have been doing alot of reading on the displays. For starters, i need to replace the mpu due to battery damage. In researching im hearing about being able to upgrade the 6 digit display to a 7 digit. There are a few options, but all of the info ive read just has me confused. I was going to replace the mpu with an alltek which if im reading correctly has the capability of running a 7 digit display. I guess some rewiring needs done to accomplish this, but im not sure. Ive seen a few other mpu options, but again i cant seem to make heads or tails outta everything. Has anyone converted a 6 to a 7? If so how did you do it, and is there an easy way, what parts do you recommend?

#2 2 years ago

If you want to upgrade to 7 digit displays, go with the Weebly MPU board which includes 7 digit support.
The Alltek MPU board does not contain the 7-digit Playboy software nor the hardware conversion for it.

https://nvram.weebly.com/mpu.html

Instructions:
https://nvram.weebly.com/7-digit-display-expansion.html

#3 2 years ago

That doesnt seem to bad, are there any other options or is this the only way? Thanks for the help!

#4 2 years ago

The 7 digit implementation requires some hardware with a decoder chip to be built. You'll also need to upgrade the Playboy MPU board ROMs with the 7-digit support version. So it depends on how electronically competent you are.
These are already built into the Weebly MPU board.

The other alternative are the 7volution displays which are a plug'n'play solution but they're not cheap and I don't know how well they work with Playboy, and anyway they're all out of stock.

#5 2 years ago

How often will you actually roll over the score on a 1978 Playboy?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

How often will you actually roll over the score on a 1978 Playboy?

I do on mine often enough. Top score is 2.4 million.

#7 2 years ago

Back in the day, id play all day on 1 quarter, then walk away with 10 credits left on the game. It was a challenge to tilt the machine before the score rolled to keep the high score, lol!

#8 2 years ago

Looks like the weebly it is then! Thanks so much for the help!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I do on mine often enough. Top score is 2.4 million.

I must suck or i have my games set too steep,
I have had 6$ man for 14 years and have only rolled it over once.

#10 2 years ago

Can the high score on the memory be raised to retain a 7 digit score?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Can the high score on the memory be raised to retain a 7 digit score?

With the ROM mods yes it retains all seven digits. The ones digit is always zero so they just shift everything in memory and store the six unique digits.

#12 2 years ago

That is cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/78-bally-playboy-display-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.