• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kursiv
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Your opinion on the quality of repair to cabinet bottom panel channel”

• Ubelieveably horrid hack by rank amateur. Throw it on the burn pile. 2 votes
    17%
  • Meh, not horrible, not great...functionally OK. Could be better but wouldn't kill a sale. 7 votes
    58%
  • Pretty dang good repair for it to have been missing so much plywood. Would consider that cabinet defect eliminated. 3 votes
    25%

(12 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

218ADBAC-244A-4B88-9C1F-F3CAFB6125CA (resized).jpeg
aaa (resized).jpg
aa (resized).jpg
001 bottom board repair (resized).png
01 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG
02 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So my Playboy's bottom panel would have been on the floor if not for the glue of the corner braces. Virtually all of the plywood under the panel that creates the channel it is supposed to occupy was gone, leaving the panel to its own devices to remain in place.

It was like this all the way around:

02 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG02 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG

So I found some trim (molding?) that just happened to be the exact height as the missing plywood, and when pressed into place was pretty much flush with the remaining plywood. Obviously I'm no cabinet maker (and don't own a miter box, or whatever), check out those eyeballed 45 degree corners, but the repair is extremely stable and the cabinet feels rock solid now.

01 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG01 Bally Playboy cab btm (resized).JPG

So I ask, is this another Rattle Can Rejuvenator ruination of a cabinet or a decent, visually pleasing repair? A lot of the collectors here have pretty high standards and I would like honest feedback on my amateur/hobbyist level work.

#3 6 years ago

Hey doo, thanks for posting. How would one go about making a repair look natural?

Rip a small sliver of plywood off a board and try to wood glue it on there?

This is what I had:
001 bottom board repair (resized).png001 bottom board repair (resized).png

The (1/4 round?) trim fits really well and tight. What method would you choose?

I plan on keeping the rest of my games, including this one. However, I'm trying to get this one friskied up and ready for route.

Quoted from dothedoo:

If it was Supersonic I would say it's perfectly acceptable, but since Playboy is highly collectible I would try to do a less obvious repair. If you're planning on selling the game this can put a big dent in your margin.
If this is going into your personal collection until you die, then I say leave it and let the next owner deal with it.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Had it done that way on my Medusa. Turned out ok I think.

Yes, it does look quite good. Thank you for the pics.

Did your game have the metal plate under the front end?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/78-bally-cabinet-bottom-panel-repair?tu=cody_chunn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.