Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DirtinLa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5717 (resized).JPG
IMG_5721 (resized).JPG
IMG_5713[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5715[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5716[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5711[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5708[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5707[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5698[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5697[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5693[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5692[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_5691[1] (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

This is a machine I am resurrecting from the dead

I have gone thru every score reel and the player unit. machine is in free play. The whole head unit in my opinion seems

fully operational... cleaned and checked.

Down below

I have changed out the game over relay (burned) and reset and cleaned all the ax bx etc switches... I have tightened

all the switch screws properly... I have not touched the score motor!

HERE IS THE ISSUE THAT WAS HAPPENING AND IS STILL HAPPENING:

Machine fires up fine and goes throught the start cycle... reels reset etc etc

Within 1sec to 2 minutes the playfield stops working... doesn't say tilt doesn't say game over... nothing, the lights remain

on but the bumpers and flippers go dead?

I can hit the new game button and all resets...

I have done multiple test to try and find out if its a specific action kicks it off and it doesn't seen that way... sometime even just

activating the flippers will make it shut down... other times it scoring points.

I've looked allover inside for something tripping... even in the dark for a large blue spark to no avail...

Where should I begin?

Thanx in advance

-=Fred=-

#2 2 years ago

Try cleaning and adjusting the switches on the game over relay. You'll want to tighten down the switch stack screws before adjusting the switches, and also check to be sure no wires have gotten detached at the solder lugs of the switches.

- TimMe

#3 2 years ago

Thank you, I just check and rechecked the relay and all is good... I replaced the relay in it yesterday and seems to be working fine ...

STILL HAVING SAME PROBLEM....

here's another symptom that may be a clue... the score is doubling and trippling when you score points

like a 500 point targets registers 50,000 not sure that that is it exactling just an example...

Any more thoughts

HELP PLEASE

#4 2 years ago

I don't have a JP schematic, however I would take a closer look at the 'AX' relay.

#5 2 years ago

ax bx cx all look good

same issue

#6 2 years ago

went thru every relay and coil in the 2 banks again... retightened the blades and checked EVERYONE of them

still same issue

#7 2 years ago

just went thru the pop bumper switches and relays all adjusted

STILL SAME ISSUE

#8 2 years ago

I just was working on a Gottlieb Em exhibiting sort of similar behavior. One of the score motor switch stacks had shifted just slightly so that the leaves were not sliding through the slot so they could close when the indentation in the cam came around. The stack never moved as the score motor turned, so the switches never close. For awhile it was intermittent; it would slide partway through and trip sometime and sometimes it would trip temporarily. Dunno if you're having that issue, but since the score motor sounds like the only thing you haven't looked at... ?

#9 2 years ago

Did you check the switches on the tilt-hold relay, too? Other than the switches on the game over relay and the tilt-hold relay, there isn't much in the normal circuit control path that can kill the PF power, yet leave the rest of the game working - lights on, no tilt, etc.

Are the PF switches still scoring points when the flippers and pop bumpers go dead? If so, I would start checking the coil black return wire that is daisy-chained to all the coils under the PF. It may be that you have a bad solder joint or broken wire at one of the coils early in the daisy-chain of this wiring. That would knock out power to all the PF coils downstream from the fault, but leave everything else in the game working. Be sure to check the relay coils on the underside of the PF as well as the solenoid coils.

Similarly, if the coil black return wire connection on the jones plug between the PF and bottom board is failing, you will get this same symptom. So you might want to carefully examine the jones plug sockets for the PF and see if you've got a broken wire or fractured socket clip.

- TimMe

#10 2 years ago

Well I was going to check the scoring motor next but I do have a wire that I cannot find where it goes... here's a pic it's white with a black trace

IMG_5691[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5692[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5693[1] (resized).JPG

#11 2 years ago

All you need to do is start a game and then lift up the playboard. Verify scoring and stuff works. Disconnect the chimes so there is no unnecessary noise. Keep operating a 10 point rebound switch until the machine stops working. Maybe you will hear or see a relay disengage and then you can troubleshoot why. If not, follow the circuit for the simple 10 point rebound switch and figure out why it no longer scores. Use standard electrical troubleshooting techniques along with the game's schematic diagram.

You likely have a misadjusted switch on a relay, a loose switch stack on a relay or dirty/corroded/ not fully pressed in Jones-type connector plug not fully engaged.

I assume the problem does not involve a misadjusted/dirty/oxidized slam or tilt switch. There are several on the game.

#12 2 years ago

Regarding post #10, that's a lamp (6 VAC) power supply wire. It probably broke off of the solder lug attached to the frame of the bonus stepper unit. If so, that wire supplies power to the bonus ladder lights through the frame-grounded wiper on the bonus stepper.

In any event, having a lamp wire loose would not cause the game to stop working in the middle of a game.

- TimMe

#13 2 years ago

thanx for the wire info... never thought it would goto ground duhhh

we have been thru all relays and switches twice... we have tried looking for a kickout even in the dark to no avail

I'm going to dig into the scoring otor next and see what I find... I'll report back

Thanx everyone

-=Fred=-

#14 2 years ago

Update: the score motor seems fine... and did not fix the problem. Reattached that loose wire to ground and now the center bonus feature

is working started to do some trouble shooting and am still getting nowhere.

Here are my symptons: Pin still stops... when it does stop, no tilt displays, have lites on playing field and back board but the only thing

working on the playfield is the outside drain holes... manually tripped they will ring a bell and trip the score. Nothing else works.

here is one issue that may be another clue... when it does work the scoring system continues to ring 35000 or 5000 when I hit a 500pt

drop target it multiplies all points 10 fold.

other than that I have gone through every switch, most twice, every relay and every coil... every wire LOL

HELP!!!!! PLEASE IT HAS TO BE SOMETHING SIMPLE I AMD MISSING

Thank you

-=Fred=-

#15 2 years ago

Just noticed this... there is three Jones plugs to the head unit... 2 large and one small...

I am looking at it from the back... I can disconnect the small middle I can disconnect the large left

AS SOON AS I DISCONNECT THE LARGE RIGHT SIDE THE MACHINE DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES WHEN IT SHUTS DOWN????

HMMMM AM I ON TO SOMETHING??? I hope so

#16 2 years ago

ANOTHER QUESTION

#17 2 years ago

I have the machine set for freeplay... but I know the stepper isn't working on the game counter... should that be functional OR

by jumping the switch it took it completely out of the circuit (my assumption) ???

#18 2 years ago

A couple more hints

1.)
The multi coin relay is disconnected (no coil) see pic could that be a culprit?

2.) here's a pic of the game counter stepper

IMG_5697[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5698[1] (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from DirtinLa:

Just noticed this... there is three Jones plugs to the head unit... 2 large and one small...
I am looking at it from the back... I can disconnect the small middle I can disconnect the large left
AS SOON AS I DISCONNECT THE LARGE RIGHT SIDE THE MACHINE DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES WHEN IT SHUTS DOWN????
HMMMM AM I ON TO SOMETHING??? I hope so

SEE, MY HINTS IN MY EARLIER POST COULD BE ONE OF YOUR ISSUES. IT MAY BE BEST TO OFFER A PINSIDER THE CHANCE TO HELP YOU IN PERSON.

#20 2 years ago

I sure wished I could find someone locally to help out???

We've search like you suggested to no avail... I just rebuilt the "AS Relay" what ever that is...

next step is to rebuild the stepper for the game count... perhaps that is what is causeing things to kick out?

Still don't understand why it's giving so many points?

Thanx in advance

-=Fred=-

#21 2 years ago

does it give random points on all players

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

not fully pressed in Jones-type connector plug not fully engaged.

This. Let's see a pic of the pins of that jones plug as well as the solder connections. Sometimes pulling a jones plug a fraction out from the bottom helps make contact on a clean part of the plug and can show you where the issue is. This shtuff like this can usually only be truly solved by someone live and in person.

#23 2 years ago

Why not list your location to see if there is someone local?

#24 2 years ago

fred lake Gonzales La.

Added over 3 years ago: cell for text or call 1-225-333-8321

#25 2 years ago

solder joints

IMG_5707[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5711[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5716[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5715[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5713[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_5721 (resized).JPG

IMG_5717 (resized).JPG

#26 2 years ago

Well we waxed the field last night, new bulbs and rubber and fired it up... out of about 25 to 50 games the symptons only happened twice.

I can only presume there was a corroded switch or something stuck causing the dilemma that through use has freed up.

At this point the more we play it, it seems to have reenergized the machine.

So I want to thank everyone for their insite and assistance...

I will be posting a new topic now as I attempt to get everything working properly!

-=Fred=-

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside