IMG_3456.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3454.jpg
IMG_3453.jpg
IMG_3452.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg
#1 8 years ago

hey everyone,

thanks to all you helpful pinsiders, im down to just one final problem on my 1976 Williams Derby Day: all three coin mechs are missing and my parts manuals dont seem to cover the coin mechs at all....i have no idea if coin mechs are standard or special or what the deal is, and i was hoping for some help.

heres a bunch of pictures! ill need three mechs total, (i assume they can be adjusted between 5, 10, and 25 cent denominations)...as for the other mechanical parts of what i have hanging off of the coin door....well....i dont know whats supposed to be there and what isnt. i can tell you that all three switches work as designed, that is, 5 cents gets you one play, ten cents two, and a quarter gets you five.

unfortunately there seem to be some missing linkages, IMG_3455.JPGIMG_3455.JPGin this photo you can see two roll pins right next to one another that hold this little arm in place, it is on the 5 cent section of the coin door...the 10 and 25 cent sections dont have this little arm at all, and i suspect that is wrong; i figure all three should probably have that little arm. i am a machinist and i can easily make new ones if the need arises, so im not too concerned, i just dont know what is supposed to be there and what isnt.

so i want to thank everyone in advance, im new to this but ill learn quick, i promise. and really, thanks again, i really appreciate any help you can give.

IMG_3450.jpgIMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3452.jpgIMG_3452.jpg
IMG_3453.jpgIMG_3453.jpg
IMG_3454.jpgIMG_3454.jpg
IMG_3456.jpgIMG_3456.jpg

#3 8 years ago

No. That's correct. The nickel side was sometimes equipped with a Teeter-Totter that alternately allowed the nickel to hit the coin switch or not. This way, both the nickel switch as well as the dime switch were wired to give one game (starts instantly), while the Quarter switch could be adjusted for like 2 to 5 credits.

The mechs are not really "adjustable" but rather designed for specific coins. So, you are actually looking for 3 different coin mechs or "Slug rejectors" as they used to be known.

As for That type Williams door, you are also in need of a metal plate that is shaped like a "T". They are pictured there on that decal with the red print. They screw to the mech and allow it to hold on by the spring metal clip it slides into. Additionally, unlike most coin mechs with a screw stud or peg that measures around an 1/8", the Williams mechs were held in at the door side with 2 very long pegs that looked like spikes. The shorter pegs may work but the mechs may also fall to the side if the door is kicked.

I also believe that your white plastic cams with the coin "whisker" may be set to use the wrong peg sticking out. Please refer to the attached photo of a working door. The nickel side may actually use that alternate position. There is a write up about it in the old Williams parts catalogs but I don't have one at hand to reference.

100_17681.jpg100_17681.jpg

#4 8 years ago

great photo cactusjack, i had suspected the white plastic cams were completely wrong; it didnt make sense that the whisker was stuck downward. i also have to admit i didnt understand what the "back door key" placard was about until i saw the key hanging there in your photo. up until that point i had thought "what a cryptic sticker. i keep the back door key on my key ring with the other keys. i wonder what theyre talking about." but that should go to show where im at on the curve. that bit about the teeter totter on the nickel also blew my mind. i find that im consistently amazed by the ingenuity of these EM machines. i love them.

and youre saying there are specific williams coin mechs i should be searching for?...any hints as to where? i mean, are they still being produced in some form, or am i going to have to find old ones and hope for the best? and are they basically all the same from the era, or is there a specific part number i should be searching down? thanks again for your help!

#5 8 years ago

No, not specific to Williams, just the way (or hardware) Williams choose to use to mount them (the T plate and the longer pegs). It sounds like you are fully capable of fabricating something to work. As long as you have something to go by.

Coin mechs are just standard 3" X 5" style. You will see plenty for sale on Ebay. Unfortunately, the Dime and Nickel ones are hard to come by since I do not believe anyone makes them any longer. 25 cent US Quarter (or Canadian missing the magnet) are very common and still made in various forms. For your game to be somewhat original, you are looking for the all metal style which are usually pretty shinny Chrome and/or brass parts.

With some adjustment, or leaving certain parts out, you can also use 0.900" and 0.984" token mechs which are smaller or larger than a quarter. But it shouldn't be hard to find an original 25 cent mech. It will be the other two that will require a search or a fat wallet! LOL.

Back to the Nickel alternating lever/toggle. It was probably standard on the coin door but may have been locked in place if your game supported the alternating feature via a stepper unit (electrical instead of mechanical 2 for X plays). I can't remember if that small wire you show in your photo was a small spring (to insure it sat in one position or the other), or if it was the thing used to lock it out of the way. If the toggle was used, the coin whisker would have occupied that other window in the metal (lower right) instead of the standard one you see my coin whisker in.

Would have loved to have found that game on location when I was a kid (1 play a nickel). Pricing was at a Dime a play, 3 for a quarter but soon gave way to 2 plays for a quarter in most locations except where the operator was too lazy or cheap to raise the pricing (or prevented by the location owner). In all my exploration as a kid on a bike in the early 70's, I only found one game for a nickel a play. That was an Egg Head and it was barely worth the nickel in my opinion!!!! The only other game that was typically a nickel were those US Marshall games that shot the small steel balls at the windows of a saloon and jail.

1 month later
#6 8 years ago

a bit of time has passed, but i thought id let everyone know i was able to get coin mechanisms for about twenty bucks a pop in all three denominations directly from the fine folks over at coinmech inc.! i did have to machine the T-shaped tabs, and i still have to make the little spring whisker that trips the contact points for the nickel slot because its busted, but the other two mechanisms work great! thanks once again to everyone for their advice, i appreciate everything!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/76-williams-derby-day-wcoin-mechs-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.