(Topic ID: 172192)

7408 ic substitute?

By PanaPinResto

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bttf 7402.jpg
    1-Fullscreen capture 10282016 24823 PM (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I have a bad 7408 causing my ripper coil to lock on(DE lah). I don't have a 7408 but I do have a 7402,7404 and a tc4050. Will any of these work?

#2 7 years ago

None of those are even close. A 7408 is a quad AND gate. The 7402 is a NOR gate, the 7404 is a hex inverter, and the 4050 is a hex buffer. You'll have to order the correct part.

#3 7 years ago

That's what I figured. Thanks for the quick answer.

#4 7 years ago

When using a TTL gate to turn on a transistor (like WMS solenoid circuits), you have to use one that can handle some current.

74F08 is what I would use as a still easy to find replacement.

When Replacing 74LS parts you can use 74HCT.

Only use 74HC when you are replacing another 74HC

#5 7 years ago

Now I'm confused. The post above says they are not even close. I think I have a bad ic at b12 on a data east rev3 board. Manual shows 7402, my board has 74f08. Will these work?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Now I'm confused. The post above says they are not even close. I think I have a bad ic at b12 on a data east rev3 board. Manual shows 7402, my board has 74f08. Will these work?

A 7402 and 7408 are certainly NOT interchangable. The input and output pins aren't even the same. Has the board EVER worked? If not, I would suspect that someone before you replaced it (and maybe both of them) with the wrong part. I tried looking at pics of a Data East board on Pinwiki, but the resolution is not high enough to read the part number off those chips. You should definitely verify before doing board work.

#7 7 years ago

Both the schematic and assembly drawing say those chips should be 7402. I'd still like to see 7402 on a board, but I think your board has the wrong parts on it.

1-Fullscreen capture 10282016 24823 PM (resized).jpg1-Fullscreen capture 10282016 24823 PM (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Both of those ICs in the pics look to have been replaced, based upon the appearance of the solder connections.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

'd still like to see 7402 on a board

bttf here with 7402

bttf 7402.jpgbttf 7402.jpg

#10 7 years ago

It fixed. I replaced both of those 7408's with............7402's. The coils no longer lock on. Clays guides says "7402/7408" for that spot. Not sure what the story is the the machine works great now. To answer the question above, no. It's never worked since I bought it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/7408-ic-substitute and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.