Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi-

I’ve about competed resurrecting an old family game. Our 73 big brave.

The good:
-game starts
-after first point scored, ZB (first ball) relay closes properly
-score wheels count correctly
-bonus stepper works well
-all playfield features score as they should
-game resets 100% as it should, when you reset MANUALLY
-when game resets (manually) player unit cycles properly. you can see “ball in play” “player 2” etc all light up as it cycles through back to the “home” point.

THE BAD:
- player unit will not advance when ball drains. When i manually push the plunger, the stepper advances in crisp increments. The plunger on this stepper seems that it never is energized. As a result, the ball in play # does not advance, player 2 never activates and of course you never reach “game over”
-double bonus relay (LB) doesn’t ever seem to pull in. Not sure what play sequence activates, so no way to check functionality

There is not a separate ball count unit, that I can see. Since the “ball in play” lights progress when you manually advance the player unit/stepper, I assume the ball count unit is integrated onto the player unit?

When a ball drains:
- the board resets and bonus stepper resets then ejects ball towards the shooter lane.
-then the ball passes over the Trough switch and energizes relays O & P. When this happens, the score wheel rotates then stops.

Also
-All steppers are clean
-Player unit Is otherwise clean and is properly set to player 1/ball 1 When reset
-The credit wheel is not advancing when credit button is pushed. Also not using a credit when game is started. not sure if that’s a result of being set up for free play or not. I don’t care to address this - just wanted to make sure I added the info for complete disclosure

Any specific suggestions on what to inspect would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 3 years ago

Hi Pete, Welcome to pinside!

Quoted from petebest:

player unit will not advance when ball drains

Does the Add Player Unit (P) relay activate when the ball gets kicked from the outhole across the trough switch to the ball launching plunger lane? If not, check the trough switch.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Add Player Unit (P) relay activate when the ball gets kicked from the outhole across the trough switch to the ball launching plunger lane? If not, check the trough switch.

HowardR has the right idea. This is from the 4-player Big Indian.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

Thx for your fast response, guys.

Yes. when ball passes over the trough switch, relay “P” (add player unit relay) closes/energizes momentarily. This happens for the duration of the score wheel/motor 1/3 rotation. Then it opens back up when the score wheel stops it’s 1/3 rotation.

Additionally, relay “O” (ball return relay) mirrors this activity.

So - must not be the trough switch.

I feel like I read somewhere once that the score wheel has something to do with the pulse sent to the player unit....can’t remember exactly though

Other thoughts?

#5 3 years ago

If the P relay doesn't activate the Add Player Unit solenoid, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

Howard- P relay DOES activate, and stays “active” for the duration of the score unit/wheel rotation sequence

#7 3 years ago

While this is from the 6v. side-and again from Big Indian-it does confirm that the PU does the BCU job.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Howard- P relay DOES activate, and stays “active” for the duration of the score unit/wheel rotation sequence

Quoted from HowardR:

If the P relay doesn't activate the Add Player Unit solenoid, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for your help guys. I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to have the machine functioning properly. It was in fact the add player unit relay/P.

There was a switch out of adjustment. After a cleaning and adjustment it’s working perfect. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/73-big-brave-question-?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.